1x9 man card pulled, new SLX crankset installed- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

1x9 man card pulled, new SLX crankset installed

Admitting failure publicly is the first step forward, no?

I've been running 1x9 setups on various bikes for the last couple years, generally 32 by 11-34. On my old Inbred 29er and even my Trek trailbike, it was nice. Decent gear selection, light, simple and one less thing for me to think about. Plus there's that sensation of self-flagellation that most mountain bikers appreciate.

With my 575, I found myself venturing into new territory, with new steeps to climb. And I found myself walking a lot. Some of the climbs out here, as you guys know, are just not going to be cleaned in 32-34, unless you're some sort of genetic freak. Not to mention all the weird drivetrain misalignment noise, cross-chaining, finding a retention device.

So the nice folks at Pig made me a great deal on a new Shimano SLX 2-ring setup (22-36, bash) with SLX fd. Not hearing much conversation about these cranks, but they're very nice. I think they look good and the external bearing dealie is much better than my previous setup.

Man, that granny ring sure does open up more possibilities and my chainline is dead nuts on now.

Took a couple trips on 220 from 40th/Shea lot yesterday and today, climbing and descending from east to west then looping around. Yesterday, took the hard route (from the north side) and cleaned quite a bit of that sketchy climb. In doing so, I decided -- for the first time -- to crank down the travel on my Pike to 95mm. When I got to the very top of 220's highest point, ready to head down toward the west, the travel adjuster stopped working and my fork was stuck at 95mm.

Ended up coming down the easy (west) side as I wasn't about to chance the other descent on a bum fork making my head angle all weird. Got home and found the plastic adjuster wheel had cracked inside. I dialed the fork back out to full travel manually.

Rode that route again today and the bike worked like a champ. Pretty happy with the new crankset. Can't say I'm as happy with my $300 gravity dropper turbo seatpost. Live and learn.
    d

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant

Rode that route again today and the bike worked like a champ. Pretty happy with the new crankset. Can't say I'm as happy with my $300 gravity dropper turbo seatpost. Live and learn.
    d
    What is wrong with the Gravity dropper? Didn't like it, what size is it 27.2 by chance?
    Maybe ou should sell it... How much was the crankset??
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    What is wrong with the Gravity dropper? Didn't like it, what size is it 27.2 by chance?
    Maybe ou should sell it... How much was the crankset??
    All Gravity Droppers are 27.2, they use shims to fit different bikes.
    Love mine, don't know how I survived without it.

I'm curious too, what's wrong with yours?

Plus size jersey model
    I just put that exact same crank on my 575 and am loving it. Before that my big ring was my bash guard I was to the point where there were only about 10 teeth still on the thing.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    azamstaff@yahoo.com or pm if you want to discuss the post. Yep, it's 27.2, the only size they offer. Mine is the turbo one. 4-inch drop.

Not sure exactly what I don't like. On my bike, I have to put it all the way down to the adjustment mechanism. I don't like the cable routing on the 575. I don't like having another item on my bars.

mtbr member
    I don't like having another item on my bars.
    you could always go 1x9 to get rid of an extra shifter on your bars

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    you could always go 1x9 to get rid of an extra shifter on your bars
    Now that's good comedy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Admitting failure publicly is the first step forward, no?

I've been running 1x9 setups on various bikes for the last couple years, generally 32 by 11-34. On my old Inbred 29er and even my Trek trailbike, it was nice. Decent gear selection, light, simple and one less thing for me to think about. Plus there's that sensation of self-flagellation that most mountain bikers appreciate.

With my 575, I found myself venturing into new territory, with new steeps to climb. And I found myself walking a lot. Some of the climbs out here, as you guys know, are just not going to be cleaned in 32-34, unless you're some sort of genetic freak. Not to mention all the weird drivetrain misalignment noise, cross-chaining, finding a retention device.

So the nice folks at Pig made me a great deal on a new Shimano SLX 2-ring setup (22-36, bash) with SLX fd. Not hearing much conversation about these cranks, but they're very nice. I think they look good and the external bearing dealie is much better than my previous setup.

Man, that granny ring sure does open up more possibilities and my chainline is dead nuts on now.

Took a couple trips on 220 from 40th/Shea lot yesterday and today, climbing and descending from east to west then looping around. Yesterday, took the hard route (from the north side) and cleaned quite a bit of that sketchy climb. In doing so, I decided -- for the first time -- to crank down the travel on my Pike to 95mm. When I got to the very top of 220's highest point, ready to head down toward the west, the travel adjuster stopped working and my fork was stuck at 95mm.

Ended up coming down the easy (west) side as I wasn't about to chance the other descent on a bum fork making my head angle all weird. Got home and found the plastic adjuster wheel had cracked inside. I dialed the fork back out to full travel manually.

d
    i hear you on the 22 ring , ------i will use my 32 ft and 34 rear as my default climbing gear -------but i can not do it all day , -----i can clean most of the climbs with my default gearing , ---and my bike works really well when out of the saddle mashing over about anything , --------but i loose my legs and lungs and i have to wimp out and drop into the 22 ring and use the 28 or 30 in the rear -------and it works really well , and i can sorta rest and just go slower and continue to ride the 2nd half of the day .

its just so hard to get stronger where i can pull a taller gear .----

the taller gear really floats over everything better because the torque is applied longer and smoother ,----------

the depper gears can sure suck you into the terrain and get you hung up easier

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    At 40, I can still improve my skillset and my endurance, but I'm thinking I'm unlikely to get much stronger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    At 40, I can still improve my skillset and my endurance, but I'm thinking I'm unlikely to get much stronger.
    even tho i hate to addmit it , i think your right ---------i hope not ---------but you may be.

i have 15 years on you , -----and i just can't seem to get to where i feel really good like i used to .-------

i have lost my "piss and vinegar " ---- my mind dosen't see that i have lost it ,--
    but my body really goes into shut down and just refuses to perform the way my mind it telling it to .

i drive 5 mph under any posted speed limit , -------(and i really do not want to, it pissis other drivers off ) -----but i can't help it.

i see a hottie on the sidewalk , -----and i say to myself , " my daughters are twice her age and quickly look away before my mind goes stupid -----( which is sad to do , )

getting older is a funny thing , -------i have become somebody different and i did not even see it comming

just 1 more
    A 20 year old asked a 55 year old what it was like being old. He replied, "It's just like being 20 except there's something wrong with my d@mn body".

Kathleen in AZ
    I'm guessing that you do not eat the best that you can... improve your diet by dropping the processed foods and eating good clean whole foods in the right balance and you'll be amazed at how your body responds. Stronger, fitter, faster, leaner.... it works at any age. It's easy to blame a whole host of ills on "turning 40". My mom is 70 years old and feels that she's in the best shape of her life... you should see her out on the tennis court with all the younger 40ish gals. ha! she stomps them! I wonder if I'll still be romping on SoMo at 70? I hope so!!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You misinterpreted what I said, or maybe I didn't say it correctly. I am in good physical shape. My diet is good. My point is, I don't have the STRENGTH to pull bigger gears on steep inclines.

The age thing was probably a red herring. From a physiological standpoint, based on my body type, I'm unlikely to get much stronger than I currently am. I can get fitter, I can build more endurance to go harder for longer, but as for building the brute monkey strength to push big gears uphill, probably not going to happen.

I feel great. In some ways, I feel better than I did in my 20s. The only real downside is I'm slower to heal now.

It's all good ... that's why I just bought a granny gear

Kathleen in AZ
    You misinterpreted what I said, or maybe I didn't say it correctly. I am in good physical shape. My diet is good. My point is, I don't have the STRENGTH to pull bigger gears on steep inclines.

The age thing was probably a red herring. From a physiological standpoint, based on my body type, I'm unlikely to get much stronger than I currently am. I can get fitter, I can build more endurance to go harder for longer, but as for building the brute monkey strength to push big gears uphill, probably not going to happen.

I feel great. In some ways, I feel better than I did in my 20s. The only real downside is I'm slower to heal now.

It's all good ... that's why I just bought a granny gear
    I love my granny gear!! I did misinterpret your post. Rock on...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I love my granny gear!! I did misinterpret your post. Rock on...
    oh yes , my granny gear is my best friend

I love bike!
    Is there such thing as a Great-Granny gear cuz I could probably use that?

Members who have read this thread: 0