mtbr member
    Nov 2016

1x10 RaceFace NW Chainring skip

I read through a thread that dealt with this same issue in another forum but not sure how much it applied to me (replacing the chainring worked for them didn't fix mine...read on). I converted my 2x10 to a 1x10, replaced the front chainrings with a new RaceFace 30T NW chainring. It worked fine for miles, and my hardtail became my favorite bike (the FS sat in the garage, green with envy). Well, all of this changed this past weekend. It began to skip on a Big Bug to Bumble Bee shuttle on the BCT, and by the end of the ride I was stuck in first gear and could not apply any real force to the pedals without it skipping three or four times each pedal revolution. It sent me over the edge twice, luckily nothing broken. I was okay too. So, I replaced the SRAM chain (old one was between 0.5 to 0.75 "stretch", new SRAM chain is 0.25 "stretch"), and replaced the NW chainring (with less than 250 miles on it) with a brand new RaceFace 30T NW chain ring. SAME problem, and maybe even worse. I have a SRAM X9 rear derailleur, but don't think that could be the cause because the problem is up front. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Cross-posted to "Drivetrains"

mtbr member
    This might sound stupid but are you 100% certain that the skipping is your chain ring and not your cassette?

IPA tester
    Or the freehub?

Is the CR bolted or spines?
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

My other ride is your mom
    Derailleur hanger may be deformed

mtbr member
    May 2005
    All of the above are things to check, but I would agree with rockman that given the chainring is new and the chain is new, the likely culprit would be a worn rear cassette. I've replaced a chain before (that was working perfect) that immediately caused problems on the cassette once the new chain was installed.

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Derailleur hanger may be deformed
    Very first thing I thought of. Also maybe cage warped?

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

EDR
    To add to what phatmike said....ime a worn drivetrain is a sum of it's parts. A new chain may not jive with a worn cassette, where as before it was a non issue. You've replaced the front ring and have a new chain so there is not much left other than bent derailleur hanger or worn cassette.

I'm guessing the cassette also needs replaced... based on my experience. I've been through the same thing where a chain replacement immediately caused issues at the rear. No advice on pit toilets though, sorry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Not stupid at all, Rockman. I couldn't figure it out, so took bike in to LBS. Turns out it needed a spacer added to the non-drive side of the BB in order to pull the chainring closer to the BB to better center the chain. The chain wasn't quite catching the chainring at the right angle. The spacer seems to have done the trick.
    Last edited by gwhayduke; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:27 PM. Reason: responding specifically to another user

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    To add to what phatmike said....ime a worn drivetrain is a sum of it's parts. A new chain may not jive with a worn cassette, where as before it was a non issue. You've replaced the front ring and have a new chain so there is not much left other than bent derailleur hanger or worn cassette.

I'm guessing the cassette also needs replaced... based on my experience. I've been through the same thing where a chain replacement immediately caused issues at the rear. No advice on pit toilets though, sorry.
    Haha so I guess we need to carry a can of Scrubbing Bubbles and a scrub brush in our CamelBaks now...I got a chuckle out of that too.

I took my bike in to my LBS and one of the mechanics who I've always trusted my bikes with diagnosed it pretty quickly. It needed a spacer added to the non-drive side of the BB to pull the chainring closer to the BB in order to center the chain better on the chainring with respect to the cassette. I was hoping it wasn't a cassette issue because mine doesn't have that many miles on it, and the derailleur is relatively new as well. Long story short, the spacer did the trick. I appreciate everyone's input! And a shout-out to Kirby at Two Wheel Jones!
    Last edited by gwhayduke; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:31 PM. Reason: added shoutout to LBS

EDR
    ^^^
    Glad you got it sorted out good deal. It's odd that a spacer was needed when the bike ran just fine without one before. Maybe I misread your original post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    ^^^
    Glad you got it sorted out good deal. It's odd that a spacer was needed when the bike ran just fine without one before. Maybe I misread your original post.
    I think you read it right. It seemed to run fine before (Between Big Bug and the road to Bumble Bee), but then I didn't really start mashing the pedals until after the section bound on both ends by Bumble Bee Road crossings (not sure the name of that section), and that's when the skipping started (between the second crossing of Bumble Bee Road and Bumble Bee, where you mash up that chunky jeep road connector). Not so bad at first, but then it just progressively got worse. I think a lot of that too was a sticky clutch not keeping tension on the chain.
    Last edited by gwhayduke; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:59 PM. Reason: phat thumbs