1st SOMO recommendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

1st SOMO recommendation

I am visiting my in-laws in Mesa for a few days(Mar. 6-9). I have read the stickies, but was hoping for a little more info. We will be riding at Somo for the first time and while my husband has pretty good technical skills, I am still working on mine. I am ok with some chunk and a few drops here and there and if it's too much I'll get off and walk it.

Basically looking for a route/loop that is a great intro to SOMO. I have heard doing DC only might be too easy. I have read so much, now I'm just confused.
    Any suggestions would be great.

Also, the forecast is for rain on Sunday. How are your trails after rain? Don't want to be a jerk and ride the wrong ones. We are going to hit the Hawes trails also.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    How long of a ride are you looking for? A Somo classic 2-3 hr ride that sounds like it would be the amount of tech you're probably looking for would be starting at 48th st parking lot, up Mormon join up with National until the Buena Vista lot (or the saddle before it) then take National all the way back down. If you are looking for longer you can add another 1.5-2hrs by following National past the BV lot to Telegraph pass and back (or take the road from TP to BV). Or, if you want longer than that, there are tons of other routes that could be suggested.

As far as rain, if you don't mind riding in it I wouldn't worry about it, at least at SoMo. Somo drains pretty much instantaneously. You might see a few puddles here and there that you want to avoid leaving ruts through, but aside from that you won't be doing any damage even if you get caught in downpour (unfortunately I can say that from experience). I don't ride Hawe's as much but I would say it's mostly the same but a little more muddy and if you're luck (by PHX standards) you can even see running streams.

MTBikeAZ.com
    Here's my SoMo recommendation: It will give you a nice tour of a lot of trails on the East end of South Mountain.

Pima Lot > East Loop > Beverly > Javelina > Mormon > National > Buena vista > turnaround > Down National > Beverly > Desert Classic > Pima Lot.

Here is that route on Everytrail (minus the climb on National from Mormon Loop to Buena Vista):
    http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=395917

PM me or email me if you want more suggestions for riding in our beautiful state.
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Barqsman that is a pretty damn long hard ride... but yeah the question is how many hours do you want to ride for?

I would suggest starting at Pima heading up Mormon after 30 minutes or so if it is too tech turn around and ride Javelina and the East loops back to the car.. or then do some Desert Classic to add some miles.

If it not to Tech keep climbing until you meet up with national and then ride up to BV and stay on National until your ready to turn around

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the replies. A 2-4 hour ride is what I'm looking for. No time constraints, we will ride till we are pooped out(trying to ride each day we are in town). We will go to SoMo on Monday to avoid some of the trail traffic. These suggestions give me a good place to start!

Barqsman, your "endo down National video" is what prompted me to post in the first place! I was a little worried.

Thanks again everyone!

MTBikeAZ.com
    Ha! National West of Buena vista gets pretty chunky. Hence, it's much less traveled by bikes. You will have a great time up and down East National. Be safe!
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    where are you comming from and have you ridden out here before? Its a little different the riding most other places with the sandy/rocky terrain we have here and I have seen strong riders struggle with some intermediate trails on south...........
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner:nono:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am coming from SoCal. I have ridden Hawes and McDowell before, both were fun for different reasons. There definitely might be some areas I'll struggle with on SoMo, but I still want to experience the best your area has to offer and hopefully I'll improve my skills with time. Looking forward to it.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by daime
    I am coming from SoCal. I have ridden Hawes and McDowell before, both were fun for different reasons. There definitely might be some areas I'll struggle with on SoMo, but I still want to experience the best your area has to offer and hopefully I'll improve my skills with time. Looking forward to it.
    if you have elbow\knee pads, you won't regret bringing them as an option. Hawes and McDowell are XC with a few intermediate tech challenges. The route you are discussing is all-mountain and the technical challenges range from intermediate to double-black.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Members who have read this thread: 0