1st Annual Creative Peoples Ride | Feb 7th- Mtbr.com
    oooh, shiny...

1st Annual Creative Peoples Ride | Feb 7th

I figured I would start a new post for this ride.

Proposed route:
    7:30 FIP
    Start @ Pima Canyon south ramada.
    Head southwest on Desert Classic to the water tower, Pause...
    After the water tower, branch off (to the right) and take Not-So-Secret Trail.
    Right again at the end of Secret Trail to Corono de Loma.
    From the saddle at Corona de Loma head back down to Desert Classic and hang a right.
    Pass the bench and a couple ~technical arroyos.
    Left (south) towards the ridgeline approach to the Helipad.
    Pause at the Helipad. Take the goat trail (north) back to Desert Classic.
    Left onto Desert Classic (west).
    Continue on Desert Classic out to Telegraph Pass.
    From here we could just head back on DC to Pima Canyon

OR:

Hike-A-Bike up Telegraph pass.
    Take the road from the top of Telegraph to Buena Vista.
    Then take National back to Pima Canyon.

Meatbomb
    How many miles is that and what class ride is it ?

oooh, shiny...
    20ish miles?, good climb up to the helipad. Other than that its a fun ride.

pedaller
    Will there be bonus points awarded for interesting costumes for the CPR???
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Calmer than you are.
    Due to the exhaustive nature of creativity, don't most creative people sleep in on Sat. mornings, especially this time of year?

Ridin' Dirty
    MatthKHS and I should be there.
    I'm not really in the mood for hike-a-bike up telegraph.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    I generally steal other peoples material, but maybe, just maybe I can inspire somebody else to be creative.

Consider me a maybe at this point.

Saucy Size
    7:30! On a Saturday morning! Good God, man.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    I generally steal other peoples material.
    Welcome to the biz

mtbr member
    In!

mtbr member
    call me old and broken, but what if we saved the helipad for on the way back on DC. we can hike-a-bike up the goat trail to helipad and then ride the sweet descent east back to the DC trail, and then take DC to secret east back to DC and then head to pima C. just a thought that would help me make it back alive either way i'm all the way in, but will bail at the ridge to helipad if thats what you ride.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

oooh, shiny...
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW
    call me old and broken, but what if we saved the helipad for on the way back on DC. we can hike-a-bike up the goat trail to helipad and then ride the sweet descent east back to the DC trail, and then take DC to secret east back to DC and then head to pima C. just a thought that would help me make it back alive either way i'm all the way in, but will bail at the ridge to helipad if thats what you ride.
    I have no problem with that. I'll be at the south ramada around 7:30 on a white haro and a red and white helmet. See you then...

mtbr member
    south ramada, polished titus, white skull bowl.

mtbr member
    Our plan was to ride to the end of Desert Classic and hit a few options along the way. Our first option was to take the short cut to the water tank, and from there we took sidewinder (secret trail), before tying back into Desert Classic. From there, we rode out to the west end of the trail. On the way back we rode up Goat Trail to the helipad. We came down the helipad trail, and then made our way back to Pima Canyon.

Our little tour took about 3 hours, and it was pretty fun just doing the Cross Country thing.

Great ride, Ry-daddy, BIGHORN LEW, Bgrafk, and MattKHS!

Here's a vid and few pics:

High Res Quicktime Version can be found here: Desert Classic 02/07/09

mtbr member
    great vid super hero sam! (utometo) wait, did i just call you a tomato? thanx for the primo ride and adventure. thanx for posting up rydaddy. and thanx to all who rolled the sweetness with us. i had to get back for some things and thats why i hit full throttle at the end.

Saucy Size
    Sidewinder -- yet another name for that trail! The city should sell naming rights to it and use the money for trail building/maintenance. Someday we could be riding the Sara Lee Undergarment Brands Trail, Brought To You By Leggs/Hanes/Bali/Playtex.

Sorry I couldn't make the 7:30. So tired! I'm hoping to catch up this weekend actually.

p.

oooh, shiny...
    Yes, Great vid. Sorry I kinda pooped out at the end, guess my energy level was just not back to normal after being sick. But still a great ride!

more beers, lees gears.
    great ride guys. glad it worked out and we had no rain.

Sorry i had to bail at the benches. after being sick for 2 weeks, and ralphing on the trail, it was tim to head back.

bgrafk and I flew back to the trail head. I must have got my second wind, because i had some of my better times coming from the benches to TH, the long way.

we must do this again.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Sidewinder -- yet another name for that trail!

Yeah, sorry that was a new one for me today. I'm gonna go back to calling 'secret'.

Ridin' Dirty
    Good ride and nice to meet y'all!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Yeah, sorry that was a new one for me today. I'm gonna go back to calling 'secret'.
    Actually I think "Sidewinder" is a charming name for it. I'd go with it if that's where the meme went. So far I've heard it called:

Sidewinder
    Secret
    Not-So-Secret
    Black Rock (which is what I called it for years, but it never caught on)
    Cunningham (although I may be confusing this with a different "Cunningham" trail out there)

Unfortunately the best way to name a trail is to give it something really evocative/provocative, and the trail's just too easy for that. If it could live up to, say, "Vomitorium" you know we'd all be calling it that within the hour.

p.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately the best way to name a trail is to give it something really evocative/provocative, and the trail's just too easy for that. If it could live up to, say, "Vomitorium" you know we'd all be calling it that within the hour.

p.

true. there is a trail outside Albuquerque. known only by a few people. unfortunatly if is now safely gaurded by the Air Force and is off limits to bikes. but has the prowd name of......

"Cherry Buster".
    b

more beers, lees gears.

done.

that. If it could live up to, say, "Vomitorium" you know we'd all be calling it that within the hour.
    I have started calling it sidewinder. but i like vomitorium better. Considering thats what i did at the top.

While i have been getting better at making it to the top no issues, anytime i push myself on it, go faster, or ride the SS or 1x9, my heart rate gets too high going up and i spew. Full gears i have no issues. but the lack of gears means lots of standing and pumping hard.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    I have started calling it sidewinder. but i like vomitorium better. Considering thats what i did at the top.

While i have been getting better at making it to the top no issues, anytime i push myself on it, go faster, or ride the SS or 1x9, my heart rate gets too high going up and i spew. Full gears i have no issues. but the lack of gears means lots of standing and pumping hard.
    Oh wait! You're talking about the lower Corona Loma, aren't you? You T into it from (TRAIL YET TO BE NAMED) and turn right and climb up to that little clearing, right? And then you can continue up to middle Loma or drop back down to DC.

Never hurled there -- or anywhere for that matter -- but I've had some tour clients get really oogie at the top of that climb. Only one sad puker that I remember.

p.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    true. there is a trail outside Albuquerque. known only by a few people. unfortunatly if is now safely gaurded by the Air Force and is off limits to bikes. but has the prowd name of......

"Cherry Buster".
    Thank God Cherry Buster is now safe from suicide bombers.

p.

more beers, lees gears.

i dont puke too often. only when its really hot, or I am going harder than i should be.

see, this is the problem, most of us ride these trails often, and we dont even know the names.

i would say the top of the climb (where i spewed saturday) is near the A on the corona label on the above map.

more beers, lees gears.
    ohh wait, is there a corona loma steel post there at the end of sidewinder, where the blue and orange meet on that map? the top of a reall big climb, the blue being the drop in back to DC?

I was thinking that the blue was that trail that meets up right after we ride through the wash, up the rock hop. and that the top of the trail where the corona loma post was at that left curve of corona loma

Saucy Size
    The steel post is at the #46 on that map.

The top of the lower Loma climb is below the "C" in Corona, where the trail splits off (and climbs precipitously to the top of that ridge, and then splits again and heads to the top of CDL).

p.

more beers, lees gears.
    im pretty sure there is a post at the top of arch, near the corona loma label as well. thats where I normally drop back to DC. I hear you can take that west / sheer hike a bike up that hill and head a few more miles, that connects back to DC, right before the 2 benches. is that correct?

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    im pretty sure there is a post at the top of arch, near the corona loma label as well. thats where I normally drop back to DC. I hear you can take that west / sheer hike a bike up that hill and head a few more miles, that connects back to DC, right before the 2 benches. is that correct?
    If by "a few more miles" you mean about 200 yards, yes! It takes you to a slightly higher, less used connector -- when you come ripping down the normal "lower Loma", look to your right as you get out of the little draw and hit flat desert, and you'll see where the "middle Loma" ties back in. It's kind of rutty and weird but worth adding to your ride at some point.

p.

Members who have read this thread: 0