136th Street Spur- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

136th Street Spur

First, is 136th Street Spur rideable going down. Traversing East-West, it always looks rideable, right up until the point I get to the top of it. Just thought I would ask before I let it fly.

Another couple questions for locals (I'm one now, too, I guess):

1. Does anybody clean Sunrise riding north? I have been racing SoCal for the last few years and have either really lost whatever I had out there or this climb is really tough. I find I am hike-a-biking every time I ride Sunrise going North in more than one spot. Same issue with Windgate going East, and Bell going North.

2. Any crews do any night riding in the McDowell Mountain Preserve over the winter? I don't mind riding alone during the day, but I am a little more squeemish at night.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by cilantro13 View Post
    First, is 136th Street Spur rideable going down. Traversing East-West, it always looks rideable, right up until the point I get to the top of it. Just thought I would ask before I let it fly.

Another couple questions for locals (I'm one now, too, I guess):

1. Does anybody clean Sunrise riding north? I have been racing SoCal for the last few years and have either really lost whatever I had out there or this climb is really tough. I find I am hike-a-biking every time I ride Sunrise going North in more than one spot. Same issue with Windgate going East, and Bell going North.

2. Any crews do any night riding in the McDowell Mountain Preserve over the winter? I don't mind riding alone during the day, but I am a little more squeemish at night.
    I'm sure some people clean Sunrise heading east, but most I see (including me) 2 spots. I've seen people clean Windgate (on geared bikes)..not many though. I've never seen anyone clean Bell heading east, but have heading west (on geared bike). (again, not many).
    Night riding in the preserve is illegal...I think the ticket is >$200

Speed996
    A couple of my riding buddies can clean Sunrise and Windgate... I get stuck on a couple pitches, but can get most of it only been out that direction once.

meow
    136th spur is OK until you get to the bottom of that slope, then it drops into the wash and it's big chunky stuff the rest of the way. The sign at the top that says "not recommended for horses or bikes" is accurate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    @Cato: Thanks. I have found that all of the preserve designations have been pretty accurate. If it says it is difficult, it is. If it says easy, it is. 136th looks so ridable from the top... Thanks.

@Speed, @ Raybum. Thanks. No night riding is a real shame, though.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    136th spur is OK until you get to the bottom of that slope, then it drops into the wash and it's big chunky stuff the rest of the way. The sign at the top that says "not recommended for horses or bikes" is accurate.
    is it ridable big&chunky, or HAB?
    thanks!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

meow
    That would depend on how good your skillz are. Some HAB and some ridable chunk. It's been a few years since I was on it and most was HAB for me!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    That would depend on how good your skillz are. Some HAB and some ridable chunk. It's been a few years since I was on it and most was HAB for me!
    My skills are good, nothing special, but I can ride all the DH trails on Somo. anything in the McDs that is other than XC-bike I'm interested in for the sake of variety.

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    My skills are good, nothing special, but I can ride all the DH trails on Somo. anything in the McDs that is other than XC-bike I'm interested in for the sake of variety.
    The top part is fine. It gets crappy (IMO) when it gets down in the wash.

I recall at least two sections in that wash that were someone difficult to climb up without a bike. Then there is plenty of sand down there - it being a wash and all.

I've been surprised at what skilled riders can do on a big travel bike, so I'm not saying that anyone can't do it - but I'd love to watch if it is done. My impression from hiking that trail was that it wasn't all that great a hike and no frickin way I'd take a bike. But I'm an XC weenie - not a downhiller.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    The top part is fine. It gets crappy (IMO) when it gets down in the wash.

I recall at least two sections in that wash that were someone difficult to climb up without a bike. Then there is plenty of sand down there - it being a wash and all.

I've been surprised at what skilled riders can do on a big travel bike, so I'm not saying that anyone can't do it - but I'd love to watch if it is done. My impression from hiking that trail was that it wasn't all that great a hike and no frickin way I'd take a bike. But I'm an XC weenie - not a downhiller.
    lol! probably good advice. I'm just enjoying playing with my new toy and finding new places\variations in the hood. hence the Paradise TT and some other off-the-grid things i've been fiddling with.

the offer to Nancy is still open if she ever wants to test ride a squishy bike and get pointed downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    the offer to Nancy is still open if she ever wants to test ride a squishy bike and get pointed downhill.
    That will require some time to forget the nasty tumble she took coming down Drew Canyon up on the rim - her ribs are still hurting from that.

If you haven't done that one, I think you'd dig it. From the top of the rim to the See Canyon trailhead it is mostly downhill with lots of doable chunky stuff. Of course you have to get up there first...