Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A plethora of pinatas

12 & 24 HOURS OF FURY - November 7, 2009

Last year's inaugural event was awesome and I am sure that this year's event will be even better! Who is planning on doing it?

http://www.4peaksracing.com/event.php?id=78

ADRENALINE TITUS 12 & 24 HOURS OF FURY
    Presented by Bicycle Ranch
    November 7, 2009 - 12:00PM

INTRODUCTION
    4 Peaks Racing, Adrenaline Racing, Titus Bicycles, Bicycle Ranch and McDowell Mountain Regional Park are proud to bring you the Valley of the Suns premier endurance mountain bike event; The Adrenaline Titus 12 & 24 Hours of Fury! This event will consist of loops around the perimeter of the Competitive Track at McDowell Mountain Regional Park, one of Arizonas most popular endurance courses. The rule is simple - the most loops in 12 or 24 hours wins.

COURSE
    The Adrenaline Titus 12 & 24 Hours of Fury course is the perimter loop of the McDowell Competitive Track. Also known as sort-tech-long the loop is 10 miles long. There will be an exchange area bypass for solo riders and those taking a second lap. The event is chip timed so riders making an exchamge must exchange their timing chip.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Marty, is this a team time trial? I still have not purchased lights yet I am hoping to scrounge enough $$$ to get a set for next weekends charity night ride at Mcdowell, but I am sure I will have lights by the time this comes around. Let me know if you are looking for people for a team. Solo might be fun as well.
    Last edited by jvm051; 08-06-2009 at 07:07 PM.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051
    Marty, is this a team time trial? I still have not purchased lights yet I am hoping to scrounge enough $$$ to get a set for next weekends charity night ride at Mcdowell, but I am sure I will have lights by the time this comes around. Let me know if you are looking for people for a team. Solo might be fun as well.

Check under the 'support' heading on the race webpage. Looks like you may be able to rent lights for this race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    See you there, purple pimp.

Happy trails
    Looks like a good time too.
    i'll make this one this time around.
    Solo on the SS? sounds rough,i may have to gice it a go!
    Last edited by FATTRAXX; 08-09-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    Aaron

A plethora of pinatas
    This event is not really a time trial, but a 12 hr & 24 hr race format. The most laps in the aloted time wins. We do have a few teams put together and if someone drops out we will be sure to let you know.
    Last edited by mcoplea; 08-07-2009 at 08:30 AM.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Im planning to do 12 hour solo. Except I always have flat issues at the competitive loops. Might have to get an extra set of rotors and build up an extra set of wheels for just in case situation!

Should be fun as it will be my first taste of endurance racing!

mad aussie
    I am looking at racing the 12 hour solo. It sounds more attractive than 24 solo, race hard for 12 hours, finish at midnight, drink beer, fall asleep and wake up later for the awards!

Kevin

H.E.R
    Mar 2007
    I plan on doing this race again. I placed 3rd in the 24 solo geared division last year. Had multiple flat tires on the first lap ended up walking/ running the last 2 miles of the first lap because I went through my spare tubes and lost my patch kit during a crash about 2 miles into the start of the race. This time I'm going to actually train for this race. Last year I only rode about 2 weeks in prep for this race,longest ride being about 3 hours. It was also my first time doing a 24 hour race. I'd highly recommend this race to anyone.

mtbr member
    I see quite a few of you planning for the solo race. If anybody wants to put a team together, PM me. I am working on getting some folks at work interested as well.

aka Diesel
    In for this one, 12 hours, probably solo.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    I am in for this one... 12 hour solo singlespeed. I agree with Wombat... 12 hours is great... ride hard all day, drink beer, take a nap, then wake up for the awards!!

mtbr member
    Its nice how all the fall races line up this year. DCB Estrella on October 31st; hey thats the wife B-Day - hope David will not be in a tutu or something!; and this one the next weekend, then couple weeks to chill for the DCB White Tanks. Gonna be a great fall!!!

mtbr member
    So whos doing this race???? It was a super fun event last year and the course is AWESOME for an endurance event!!!

A plethora of pinatas
    I am doing the 12 hr duo and trying to come up with our team name. I was thinking of going with "2 Salted Nuts & A Spicy Taco". I also know of several of our gang that are non-MTBR's are in as well.

The potential night ride on 10/16/09 would be a great way to get a pre-ride in on the course at night - http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66
    Marty

Ridin bikes is fun
    I like the look of this event. Does anyone want to put together a team (duo for the 12 or quad/duo for the 24)? I wouldnít want to be part a super competitive team, but I would like it to be a little motivated. If I was going to do the 12 solo I think I could do 7 or 8 laps to give you an idea of where Iím at. PM me if youíre interested, if not Iíll probably do the 12 solo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i heard that the mc for the event this year is a total badass......lol. seriously i am starting to like mcing for 24hours more than riding in them. i think i could still take out tom though, if i stuck a stick in his spokes!! see you all there.........
    Increasing the peace, one bike at a time.......

mtbr member
    thinking about doing it...looked fun last year. I would be either running my old Haro V3 in SS or my dirtbag ha ha

I do have a team building but not sure how serious they are (three of us) otherwise I will just roll solo

In the rear with the beer
    Highly considering another try at 12 hour solo. Been pretty much off the bike the past couple months but this could be a good reason to get back on and drop the lbs i've put on.....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    I like the look of this event. Does anyone want to put together a team (duo for the 12 or quad/duo for the 24)? I wouldnít want to be part a super competitive team, but I would like it to be a little motivated. If I was going to do the 12 solo I think I could do 7 or 8 laps to give you an idea of where Iím at. PM me if youíre interested, if not Iíll probably do the 12 solo.
    Have you got any responses back yet for a team? I may be in if you are looking for either a duo or group. I have never raced, but this might get me motivated to start as well? If your still looking PM me.

mtbr member
    Anybody know the answer to this? Do you have to ride the same bike the entire ride, or can you switch between laps? The reason I ask this, is if you have a mechanical failure, once you get back your staging area, are you able to switch. Also if you are not in the SS category, assuming bike swapping is permitted can you switch to a SS, but still be classified under geared.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Anybody know the answer to this? Do you have to ride the same bike the entire ride, or can you switch between laps? The reason I ask this, is if you have a mechanical failure, once you get back your staging area, are you able to switch. Also if you are not in the SS category, assuming bike swapping is permitted can you switch to a SS, but still be classified under geared.
    i will talk to jeremy at 4peaks when i get a chance and relay the official rules, but i have been in plenty of 24hrs to give some beta. you can use multiple bikes. this is how professional solo competitors can have such fast lap times with even with multiple mechanicals, they just come in to registration and receive a back up bike. as for the single speed, you can always run a single in the gear class, you just can't go the other way with out disqualification.

hope that helped. if you have any questions at the event itself just ask me, i will be the one yapping away at the microphone all night long...........
    Increasing the peace, one bike at a time.......

livin' the dream......
    Ditto for 12 hour solo. I like the ride/beer/sleep/awards plan. Kinda sounds like my senior year of college, minus the awards.......
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

A plethora of pinatas
    We are sending our entry forms in tonight! YEA!

A good opportunity to pre-ride the course at night and camp on 10/23/09 - see http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=559113 . There is also a trail work day on Sat AM 10/24/09 out there.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Jeremy has generously offered a 50% discount for this event to anyone who participates in the trail maintenance events at McDowell Comp Loops. So if you were one of the 8 that showed last Saturday or plan on participating on 10/24 you get the discount.

There will be a night ride on the competative loops on Friday 10/23 followed by a campout in the comp loops parking area and the trail maintenance on Saturday morning.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS
    Jeremy has generously offered a 50% discount for this event to anyone who participates in the trail maintenance events at McDowell Comp Loops. So if you were one of the 8 that showed last Saturday or plan on participating on 10/24 you get the discount.

There will be a night ride on the competative loops on Friday 10/23 followed by a campout in the comp loops parking area and the trail maintenance on Saturday morning.
    Hi, was just looking at the website, and I'd like to register SS Solo, but given the (yes, very generous, very, thanks!) offer of a 50% discount for the trail workers on the 24th, should anyone planning to be there, just wait to register, so our discount can be taken into acct?

I am Walt

Reverse 12-hours...

I've got a commitment until about 7-8 pm on the 7th, so I am thinking about entering the 24-hour solo SS category, then coming about 9-10 pm and just riding for the rest of the time...

mtbr member
    Never ridden the course, what's it like? What are people runnin' on the ss?

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyd
    100% do-able on 18T, and that's coming from a mildly lightweight chick.
    Could get wearisome after 24 hours, wouldn't know, given I've only done a 12 hour with that gearing.

Course is easy. Non technical. Very little climbing, very flowy, only one section that'll wake you up somewhere around 3am, as it's a little rocky. Go ride it to figure out what works for you. Plenty of time to figure that out, before committing to the gearing. :-)

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    and that's coming from a mildly lightweight chick.
    Mildly...

Happy trails

i'll be spinin' a 19t on my 29er,

i function better at a higher rpm lately!
    Aaron

I am Walt
    Nice, fast course...nothing techy, other than one step-up. 32 x 18 29'er SS is good. Here's the GPS track for 2x the loop...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13722471

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Mildly...
    @ss!

mtbr member
    32x18 is the perfect gear for the course. I accidentally ran 32x19 last year for the entire 12 hour solo race... I thought I was just feeling really strong and everything was easy, but noticed that I had the wrong wheel on about 8 hours into it...

Hey Walt... if you want to do 12 hour solo from midnight to noon Sunday... I am sure we can arrange something with Jeremy!! But... there will be lots of taunting with beers in our hands as you are starting when we are all finished!!

Actually, that might be really really fun for all the other 12 hour solo riders to cheer you on...

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    But... there will be lots of taunting with beers in our hands as you are starting when we are all finished!!

Actually, that might be really really fun for all the other 12 hour solo riders to cheer you on...
    Forget beer, I'll have a taser. Always there to support a friend.

Officially signed up yesterday for 12 solo (geared....i'm old school). I needed an event to force me to stop eating chicken wings for a while and get back into fighting weight....
    Salvation Outdoor

I am Walt
    Hey Walt... if you want to do 12 hour solo from midnight to noon Sunday... I am sure we can arrange something with Jeremy!! But... there will be lots of taunting with beers in our hands as you are starting when we are all finished!!

I'm game for that...12-hour solo from midnight to noon!!

How do we make it happen?

Edit: I just shot Jeremy an e-mail...

I am Walt
    Forget beer, I'll have a taser. Always there to support a friend.
    And that is PRECISELY what I will need to keep me going...

mtbr member

I am texting him as we speak... I am in this for the entertainment factor on my end... and to see the sparks from the Taser in the middle of the night...

A plethora of pinatas
    I am texting him as we speak... I am in this for the entertainment factor on my end... and to see the sparks from the Taser in the middle of the night...
    WOW!!

You can text and type at the same time!? You are a man of so many talents!
    Marty

aka Diesel
    Oh make no mistake; I can't wait to sit there in my lawn chair with my "sparkler" and watch The Walt get spanked by the laps, while we sit there in an assembly line and drink beer, It's always a moving experience to watch a grown man cry.

aka Diesel
    And that is PRECISELY what I will need to keep me going...
    Oh I gotcher back! Monster, taser, ridicule; you're going to set a record.

I am Walt
    Oh make no mistake; I can't wait to sit there in my lawn chair with my "sparkler" and watch The Walt get spanked by the laps, while we sit there in an assembly line and drink beer, It's always a moving experience to watch a grown man cry.
    Oh I gotcher back! Monster, taser, ridicule; you're going to set a record.
    Couldn't swing the "reverse 12-hour," so I just entered the 24-hour SS solo. I'll get there when I get there, then ride all night and morning. Why? I have no idea...

But...

I am COUNTING ON heckling, ridicule, abuse, thrown objects, whatever to keep me going all night and into the morning...

aka Diesel
    Couldn't swing the "reverse 12-hour," so I just entered the 24-hour SS solo. I'll get there when I get there, then ride all night and morning. Why? I have no idea...

I am COUNTING ON heckling, ridicule, abuse, thrown objects, whatever to keep me going all night and into the morning...
    I'm not going to enter until the discount question is answered. This economy is killin' me!!

And no worries... we'll keep you moving.
    And you're doing this because you plan to podium at O.P. You need the training, Rocky.

I am Walt
    You need the training, Rocky.
    Pass the glass of raw eggs, please...

mtbr member
    I will be heckling you starting about midnight.... maybe water balloons... it shouldn't be too cold at 2:00 in the morning...

Tucson, AZ

No road is long with good company. Turkey Proverb

Heckling, sparklers, crying...as long as you are in good company, it should be a great ride.

H.E.R
    Mar 2007
    Last year it got pretty chilly after midnight.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it was really cold after midnight! Jeremy, a couple of friends and I sat in the car with the heater on for a couple of hours after the 12 hour race and watched the timing tent atch on fire... good times.

This year there the fire will be a lot bigger with more wood and more chairs... I can't wait for the fire. We are working out the location of the fire so we will not even have to move to harass Walt as he comes through his laps...

I am Walt
    This year there the fire will be a lot bigger with more wood and more chairs... I can't wait for the fire. We are working out the location of the fire so we will not even have to move to harass Walt as he comes through his laps...
    Please place it so that the smoke blows in my face on every lap...

mtbr member
    Hi, was just looking at the website, and I'd like to register SS Solo, but given the (yes, very generous, very, thanks!) offer of a 50% discount for the trail workers on the 24th, should anyone planning to be there, just wait to register, so our discount can be taken into acct?
    The race promoter responded that you can go ahead and register now and apply the discount. He will check with me after the trail maintenance to make sure that everyone that has claimed the discount did in fact show up (and work).

aka Diesel
    The race promoter responded that you can go ahead and register now and apply the discount. He will check with me after the trail maintenance to make sure that everyone that has claimed the discount did in fact show up (and work).
    Perfect. Thanks!

A plethora of pinatas
    I am tryin to do all my laps at the Fury in an hour or less. So, I decided to take my "geekyness" to a new level. I have been riding the race course a lot over the last few weeks and I started recording checkpoint times to keep me on track for my goal.

You might find these helpful too...

Check Point Times for a 55 Minute Lap (S-T-L)

Lap Time/ Total Time/ Checkpoint

0:09:00/ 0:09:00/ Turn from Sport to Tech - Brown Sign
    0:04:20/ 0:13:20/ Turn from Tech to Long - Brown Sign
    0:14:20/ 0:27:40/ Rock Step Up
    0:06:55/ 0:34:35/ South Ridge Sign (top of the tech climb)
    0:04:02/ 0:38:37/ Clay Pit/BMX Rollers on South Ridge
    0:07:05/ 0:45:42/ Picnic Tank Sign
    0:09:48/ 0:55:30/ Finish Line
    Marty

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    I am tryin to do all my laps at the Fury in an hour or less. So, I decided to take my "geekyness" to a new level. I have been riding the race course a lot over the last few weeks and I started recording checkpoint times to keep me on track for my goal.

You might find these helpful too...

Check Point Times for a 55 Minute Lap (S-T-L)

Lap Time/ Total Time/ Checkpoint

0:09:00/ 0:09:00/ Turn from Sport to Tech - Brown Sign
    0:04:20/ 0:13:20/ Turn from Tech to Long - Brown Sign
    0:14:20/ 0:27:40/ Rock Step Up
    0:06:55/ 0:34:35/ South Ridge Sign (top of the tech climb)
    0:04:02/ 0:38:37/ Clay Pit/BMX Rollers on South Ridge
    0:07:05/ 0:45:42/ Picnic Tank Sign
    0:09:48/ 0:55:30/ Finish Line

That's cool Marty, I'm going to go out there next Saturday and ride 3 or 4 laps and see if I can stick to those numbers each lap. Thanks.

It looks like I will be doing the 12 hour solo unless someone needs a partner for a duo, PM me, I'd rather do it duo, so anyone wanting to join me, it would be welcome.

Ridin bikes is fun
    I just signed up for the 12 hour solo. My highly intricate strategy is to go mostly slow for as long as I can, seem like the best plan for me. Should be fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sounds like a good plan.I am also going to try the 12 hour solo.I have never done any long races, just cat 2 distance.It will definatley be a challenge.

aka Diesel
    Hey, tried to register tonight, but did not see an option for applying a discount. There was a coupon code section at the end of the registration process, but that's it... where to from here?

A plethora of pinatas
    Hey, tried to register tonight, but did not see an option for applying a discount. There was a coupon code section at the end of the registration process, but that's it... where to from here?
    I believe you have to mail in your entry and write on it the MMP trail work 50% discount and the date you did the trail work out there. The promoter will be checking it against the list that Alan/the park turns into to him.
    Marty

aka Diesel
    I believe you have to mail in your entry and write on it the MMP trail work 50% discount and the date you did the trail work out there. The promoter will be checking it against the list that Alan/the park turns into to him.
    Ahh, okay! So used to doing everything electronically, that mailing, and writing a check (do I even know HOW, anymore?! heh), never occurred to me. Cool. Thanks!

Not a Barry supporter.
    The site says that Ay Up will be on site. Can anyone confirm this for me? I have one of their lights and want to pick up the head strap.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Magicshine Light Dealer
    I'm in for the 24 Solo Singlespeed, sounds like a fun way to spend a day, hopefully not as cold as 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo.

In fact has anyone here done both solos for the 24 Fury and 24 HIOP, I rode as a team member in 24HIOP the last 3 years. I would be interested to know if folks found one or the other more difficult.

Cheers
    Last edited by The Singletrack Store; 10-19-2009 at 02:44 PM.
    www.thesingletrackstore.com
    Magicshine 900 & 1400 Lumen Cycling Light Dealer in Arizona

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by The Singletrack Store
    I'm in for the 24 Solo Singlespeed, sounds like a fun way to spend a day, hopefully not as cold as 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo.

In fact has anyone here done both solos for the 24 Fury and 24 HIOP, I rode as a team member in 24HIOP the last 3 years. I would be interested to know if folks found one or the other more difficult.

Cheers
    I'm also 24 solo, but won't be able to start until 8-9 pm due to another commitment.

Re the course, I've also done OP three of the last four years, and I ride the MMP Comp Tracks quite a bit. I think this course (MMP - Comp Tracks - The "Outer Loop") beats you up much more than OP. It's shorter (10 miles vs. 16+ miles), but has a number of very rocky sections with loose cobbles that just bang on you and wear you out, plus it is more rolling, with ups and downs that get tiring, over time.

That said, I think it's a great 24-hour course, and very fun at night!

Magicshine Light Dealer
    I'm also 24 solo, but won't be able to start until 8-9 pm due to another commitment.

Re the course, I've also done OP three of the last four years, and I ride the MMP Comp Tracks quite a bit. I think this course (MMP - Comp Tracks - The "Outer Loop") beats you up much more than OP. It's shorter (10 miles vs. 16+ miles), but has a number of very rocky sections with loose cobbles that just bang on you and wear you out, plus it is more rolling, with ups and downs that get tiring, over time.

That said, I think it's a great 24-hour course, and very fun at night!
    Hi Waltaz, I noticed in one of your prior comments that you were starting later. I'll have to remember that and try not to get depressed when you go blazing past me at 9pm. Thanks for the course info, I know the Old Pueblo course really well but being from Tucson I don't often drive up to Phx to ride. I'm looking forward to spending some time on that trail system, it really is a well laid out facility. I raced up there once in 2005 so I have a vague concept of the trail.

I am Walt
    Hi Waltaz, I noticed in one of your prior comments that you were starting later. I'll have to remember that and try not to get depressed when you go blazing past me at 9pm. Thanks for the course info, I know the Old Pueblo course really well but being from Tucson I don't often drive up to Phx to ride. I'm looking forward to spending some time on that trail system, it really is a well laid out facility. I raced up there once in 2005 so I have a vague concept of the trail.
    I know it's a long way, but this Friday night, the park is hosting a rare night ride on the Comp Tracks as a pre-ride for the 12/24-hour event. For those that can stay, there is also a camp-out and trail work the following morning. Info here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=559113

It would be a good opportunity to get a couple night laps in to get a feel for the course at night...

Magicshine Light Dealer
    I know it's a long way, but this Friday night, the park is hosting a rare night ride on the Comp Tracks as a pre-ride for the 12/24-hour event. For those that can stay, there is also a camp-out and trail work the following morning. Info here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=559113

It would be a good opportunity to get a couple night laps in to get a feel for the course at night...
    That sounds like a great idea, thanks for the invite mate but I have prior family commitments this weekend, wish I could make it though, if plans change I'm there

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    The site says that Ay Up will be on site. Can anyone confirm this for me? I have one of their lights and want to pick up the head strap.
    I have heard that they no longer have a USA Distributor. I would say it is doubtful that they will be there.
    Marty

Anyone know what the turn out is looking like for this year? Bigger than last year? fewer? around the same?
    Salvation Outdoor

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    Anyone know what the turn out is looking like for this year? Bigger than last year? fewer? around the same?
    From what I have heard, entry is up for this year. I also heard that they are giving away socks along with the T-Shirt to all entrants. Pretty cool.
    Marty

I am Walt
    From what I have heard, entry is up for this year. I also heard that they are giving away socks along with the T-Shirt to all entrants. Pretty cool.
    How big was last year, in terms of total riders?
    Ride more; post less...

How big was last year, in terms of total riders?
    It was not all that big, but it was well run. Iron Man on the big screen in the middle of the night was cool. Nancy and I did the 12 hour duo and only had one team for competition. We would be out there again this year if it weren't for some previous plans for that weekend.

It was a much better experience than the Dust Devil race out at the McDowells a few weeks ago.

12 hr solo geared was 14, singlespeed 4. I'm sure at least the singlespeed group will be bigger this year.
    I'm really wondering how quickly the lot is gonna fill up on Friday/Sat AM. Going solo, I don't wanna have to go across the street to the other lot to refuel....but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I'm not racing for the podium so i guess it doesn't really matter. Hopefully just a good (long) day on the bike!
    Salvation Outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    I'm really wondering how quickly the lot is gonna fill up on Friday/Sat AM. Going solo, I don't wanna have to go across the street to the other lot to refuel....but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    Last year, they reserved spots along the fence for solo riders. There were a couple of spots still open there around 10am. However, I'd recommend getting in earlier.

A plethora of pinatas
    Based on last year's results, it looks like there was around 250 total entrants.
    Marty

Magicshine Light Dealer

Weather looking perfect for race weekend

Checked the 15 day forecast for Phoenix

Sunny on Saturday high of 82, overnight low of 60 then sunny with high of 85 on Sunday

http://www.accuweather.com/us/az/pho...chg=1&metric=0

I am Walt
    Checked the 15 day forecast for Phoenix

Sunny on Saturday high of 82, overnight low of 60 then sunny with high of 85 on Sunday

http://www.accuweather.com/us/az/pho...chg=1&metric=0
    Thanks Reade! I noticed that it will be heating back up quite a bit from this cold snap...thank gawd!! Was not digging 30-some degree night laps...
    Ride more; post less...

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Yeah I was supposed to do a 5.30am ride this morning, but it had to be below 32 in Catalina State Park, we decided not to ride but I might do a nightride tonight. Funny, it went from hot to cold in 2 days, hopefully that cold front continues to move away and the forecast is right because those are optimal racing temps. Gotta love low 80's in the day and 60 overnight, we have 7 months of bliss remaining.

A plethora of pinatas
    Yeah I was supposed to do a 5.30am ride this morning, but it had to be below 32 in Catalina State Park, we decided not to ride but I might do a nightride tonight. Funny, it went from hot to cold in 2 days, hopefully that cold front continues to move away and the forecast is right because those are optimal racing temps. Gotta love low 80's in the day and 60 overnight, we have 7 months of bliss remaining.
    The weather man is still saying mid 80's for high and around 60 for a low for next weekend - it should be perfect weather!

Singletrack, I have been doing a little reading on the Magicshine 900. Do you run them on your bike? How reliable are they and how do they compare to other lights - Niterider, Light & Motion, ect?
    Marty

Magicshine Light Dealer
    The weather man is still saying mid 80's for high and around 60 for a low for next weekend - it should be perfect weather!

Singletrack, I have been doing a little reading on the Magicshine 900. Do you run them on your bike? How reliable are they and how do they compare to other lights - Niterider, Light & Motion, ect?
    Hi Marty
    Yes I have been running them since July, right through the summer for early morning and nightrides, I have had zero issues plus I have lent my extra lightsets to friends and customers to try, so they have been well tested. There are a ton of reviews on this site, for the price everyone seems to agree they are hard to beat. Personally I had both my Niterider lights fail inside 2 years of use, maybe I was unlucky with N/R, I don't know. I have used the L & M Arcs aswell, they are nice but the battery pack from memory was much bigger and heavier than the Magicshine and the cost is definitely greater. The Magicshines put out a ton of light for the price plus they are lightweight and compact, I'm running mine at the 24 Hours of Fury Solo Singlespeed category this coming weekend. I have had quite a few guys from this race contact me about these lights, I haven't found any issues myself, Jeremy the race promoter from this event even bought a lightset for the preride a couple of weeks ago. Let me know if I can help you out, I can ship units today.
    Cheers Reade

A plethora of pinatas
    Thanks for the info. I have been running various Niterider lights for about 10 years and have been very happy with them. I have not had many problems with them but when I did, Niterider always stepped up and took care of it under warranty.

The Magicshine looks like a sweet deal for $85 with 900 lumens. The 90 day warranty on them scares me a bit, but the price is tempting. I will have to check out yours or Jeremy's this weekend.

Thanks!
    Marty

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Thanks for the info. I have been running various Niterider lights for about 10 years and have been very happy with them. I have not had many problems with them but when I did, Niterider always stepped up and took care of it under warranty.

The Magicshine looks like a sweet deal for $85 with 900 lumens. The 90 day warranty on them scares me a bit, but the price is tempting. I will have to check out yours or Jeremy's this weekend.

Thanks!
    No worries Marty, I am going to bring a limited number of extra sets with me in case folks get the need prior to the start of the race. I've had a ton of interest from guys racing up there this weekend, but we wont arrive from Tucson until 9am race day so not much time to distribute lightsets prior to race. All lightsets will be precharged plus I already have a demo set up there in Phoenix currently doing the rounds, no harm in letting folks try before they buy. If you want to demo a lightset at the race I'll have that one spare for you to try, email me and I will arrange something with you. sales@thesingletrackstore.com Cheers Reade

I am Walt
    No worries Marty, I am going to bring a limited number of extra sets with me in case folks get the need prior to the start of the race. I've had a ton of interest from guys racing up there this weekend, but we wont arrive from Tucson until 9am race day so not much time to distribute lightsets prior to race. All lightsets will be precharged plus I already have a demo set up there in Phoenix currently doing the rounds, no harm in letting folks try before they buy. If you want to demo a lightset at the race I'll have that one spare for you to try, email me and I will arrange something with you. sales@thesingletrackstore.com Cheers Reade
    Reade - If I order one tonight, can you get it to me by Fri? I'm in Scottsdale. I'd prolly go with one light kit + an extra battery and make it my handlebar light, and run my NR's on my helmet. Lemme know...Walt
    Ride more; post less...

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Reade - If I order one tonight, can you get it to me by Fri? I'm in Scottsdale. I'd prolly go with one light kit + an extra battery and make it my handlebar light, and run my NR's on my helmet. Lemme know...Walt
    Hey Walt
    Absolutely, place your order through the site, I'll ship it out first thing in the morning, it'll be in Scottsdale Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. I'll charge both batteries prior to shipping so you'll be good to go out of the box.
    Cheers Reade

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Solo Row?

Do you have to be there at 12pm sharp on Friday to get a decent spot if you're riding solo? A buddy and I are both riding solo but won't make it up until 5 or 6 pm on Friday.

Any early birds willing to stake a bit of extra dirt for some out of towners?

Thanks!

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Hi all,

This is going to be my first 24 hour Solo SS race. I've never attended one of these and I have a couple of questions about camping.

So the fence is reserved for solo riders. Would I be able to put a small pop up camper there? Would I be better off in a tent? When I say small pop-up, it's only 6' x 6' closed up. Do people use tents or RVs more?

Thanks in advance!
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

A plethora of pinatas
    The earlier you are there, the better chance you have to get your pick of camping spots. But, you sould be fine on Friday by 6pm. I know a lot of people will just show up race day to set up.

The fence line is reserved for solo racers only so they can easily stop by and get food, water or whatever from their campsite/support crew and then continue on with their next lap. People will be set up in tents and RV's along the fence line and all over the venue. I would say just do not be a hog and take up a 50 foot section of fence for one person.

We will be camping out Friday night before the event. Be sure to stop by and say Hi.
    Marty

Ridin bikes is fun
    The earlier you are there, the better chance you have to get your pick of camping spots. But, you sould be fine on Friday by 6pm. I know a lot of people will just show up race day to set up.

The fence line is reserved for solo racers only so they can easily stop by and get food, water or whatever from their campsite/support crew and then continue on with their next lap. People will be set up in tents and RV's along the fence line and all over the venue. I would say just do not be a hog and take up a 50 foot section of fence for one person.

We will be camping out Friday night before the event. Be sure to stop by and say Hi.
    Is the fence line for 12h solo riders or just 24h? I have a 25ft travel trailer, will that be too large?

A plethora of pinatas
    Is the fence line for 12h solo riders or just 24h? I have a 25ft travel trailer, will that be too large?
    It says for "Solo racers", so I would say yes for both 12 and 24. Hell, I say bring the 100 footer if you want!

You may want to back it into the fenceline instead of taking up a full 25 foot so they can get as many soloists at the fence line as possible.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Heck since I am rolling the 12 unsupported I am just hoping there is enough room to drop off a cooler, lights, lube and maybe a chair along the fencline by the time I get there Saturday morning

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by slugobikes
    Heck since I am rolling the 12 unsupported I am just hoping there is enough room to drop off a cooler, lights, lube and maybe a chair along the fencline by the time I get there Saturday morning
    Feel free to park yourself in front of my trailer. It's a KZ Spree and will have festive colored lights hanging from the awning. I will also have my air compressor sitting out attached to my generator; anyone is free to air up as necessary.

A plethora of pinatas
    Feel free to park yourself in front of my trailer. It's a KZ Spree and will have festive colored lights hanging from the awning. I will also have my air compressor sitting out attached to my generator; anyone is free to air up as necessary.
    Last year, they had a neutral feed zone set up with H2O, Heed, Gels, fruit, snacks, ect. You should be able to find a location by the course to leave your needed support gear if you do not set up camp on the fence line.
    Last edited by mcoplea; 11-03-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Marty

mtbr member
    I will set up on the course someplace with my solo stuff as well... look for the Vassago banners on the EZ-up. If space runs out and you need someplace to put a cooler... stop by! We have a couple of people coming out to support... cook, keep the beer cold, all the important SOLO stuff.

See everyone out there!

A plethora of pinatas
    Another idea..

Instead of parking RV's on the fence line, you may want to set up a shade tent along the fence line with all of your needed support items/suport crew. Then, set up the RV somewhere nearby in the venue. This may help insure that all solo riders have room to set up along the fence.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Tom, did you ever end up getting your bikes back or have any luck finding the b@stard that took them?

Another idea..

Instead of parking RV's on the fence line, you may want to set up a shade tent along the fence line with all of your needed support items/suport crew. Then, set up the RV somewhere nearby in the venue. This may help insure that all solo riders have room to set up along the fence.
    I like Marty's idea. I'd add for folks driving a regular car that once you setup a tent/canopy/etc on the fence line and unload your gear, consider parking your car elsewhere at the venue. This will help maximize the area available to the riders and their crews rather than use up the space for dormant vehicles. It'll also be a better experience for riders coming along the fence line as they'll be cheered on by a solid wall of people, instead of a bunch of tailpipes!
    Salvation Outdoor

Ridin bikes is fun
    Another idea..

I think this is what I'm going to do. My wife will want to sleep after I'm done riding so getting away form the main activity will be a good thing.

mtbr member
    Tom, did you ever end up getting your bikes back or have any luck finding the b@stard that took them?
    Nope... I am riding bikes built from my box of mystery parts and some borrowed parts this weekend. I have a couple of frames and enough old parts to get something put together... should be a train-wreck of mechanical failures!!

Anyway, stop by at Midnight for beer and marshmallows and cookies and pringles and coke, and goldfishes, and ham sandwhiches and gu, and gummy worms and whatever other race food is left over... we are even thinking of a midnight Bar-B-Que to celebrate the end of the misery... I really feel for you 24 hour guys!!

I am Walt
    Anyway, stop by at Midnight for beer and marshmallows and cookies and pringles and coke, and goldfishes, and ham sandwhiches and gu, and gummy worms and whatever other race food is left over... we are even thinking of a midnight Bar-B-Que to celebrate the end of the misery... I really feel for you 24 hour guys!!
    Tom...have that buffet accessible for those of us that *may* try to pull an all-nighter!
    Ride more; post less...

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Nice concoction of race foods there Tom.

Weather still looking amazing for race weekend, high of 84 on Saturday, overnight low 60 and high on Sunday of 81, can't beat that. Just gotta try to get some sleep this week.

Weird, Tucson is hotter than Phoenix today.

Cheers Reade

I am Walt
    Does anyone know when on Friday the venue is open to set up spots? I'm going out early on Friday for an easy spin on Pemberton, and was thinking of setting up my tent along the fence (solo 24) afterwards...probably around 9-10 am. Will they have the fence set up at that time?
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Nope... I am riding bikes built from my box of mystery parts and some borrowed parts this weekend. I have a couple of frames and enough old parts to get something put together... should be a train-wreck of mechanical failures!!

Ahh, coke and gummy worms. The 24 hr race secret.

Thanks for the invite. If there are any parts that you are in need of that I have laying around, I'm happy to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0