1 day to ride in Phoenix - what should we do?- Mtbr.com

1 day to ride in Phoenix - what should we do?

Hey Guys: Here's another lame question from a tourist! We've got one day to ride in Phoenix, that being tomorrow. I had orginally planned to ride South Mountain taking The National Trail and return on Desert Classic trail, however the pictures of the hawes trail (which I think is listed in some of my guidebooks) looks pretty cool. So..what's the premier / can't miss ride in Phoenix!? Looking for a moderate - 15-20 something mile singletrack ride with good scenery.
    Thanks a lot for the info!
    Tom

Jan 2004

My $.02

Due to the heavy rain received in the valley the last 24 hours, you may find standing water on any trail you ride.

Hawes Pass is a great ride no doubt, but I recommend sticking with South Mtn because it is easy access if you are staying in Phoenix, it has numerous trail options for all levels, it is a staple in everyone's Valley Trail Diet, and it's rocky conditions that may limit that standing water. I suggest saving Hawes for another day.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

which trail to ride tomorrow

Agree 100% with AZclydesdale. Leave Hawes alone until she dries out. South Mtn. is the best choice.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by (Tom)
    Hey Guys: Here's another lame question from a tourist! We've got one day to ride in Phoenix, that being tomorrow. I had orginally planned to ride South Mountain taking The National Trail and return on Desert Classic trail, however the pictures of the hawes trail (which I think is listed in some of my guidebooks) looks pretty cool. So..what's the premier / can't miss ride in Phoenix!? Looking for a moderate - 15-20 something mile singletrack ride with good scenery.
    Thanks a lot for the info!
    Tom

National to SoMo is hard but good. Probably the premiere must-ride if you only have one day. Will not be moderate, although I think it is in the 15-20 miles range. But anyone with more than six months' experience knows mileage has nothing to do with it -- this is a 4-5 hour ride if it's your first time.

Much of National, and the descent from National via Telegraph, wouldn't be characterized as "moderate". Steps, exposure, loose stuff, high risk factor all around. Once you're on the Classic it's much more moderate and fast.

Another option, minimal risk factor: Classic to Black Rock to lower Corona back to Classic, up Goat Trail to Helipad, down Ridgeline back to Classic and home. Probably 3-ish hour ride.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

thanks for the information !

Looks like National South Mountain it is... If anyone sees a pasty white new englander on a vintage beat-to-hell Santa Cruz Bullit please stop and say "hello" !

T