1/8-1/4 inch tear in non UST tubeless sidewall. What to do?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

1/8-1/4 inch tear in non UST tubeless sidewall. What to do?

My front tire is a specialized captain control with homebrew (WSS) tubeless sealant. I've read about people sewing up tears, and I've used patches to fix holes in my tread. This is my first sidewall issue, can I salvage the tire?
    I'm a big fat fatty at 250 pounds, so I'm concerned about the flex of the sidewall if I just patch it. Right now I'm running a tube and milk jug boot until I figure out a permanent solution.
    Thanks all

AZ
    banned
    A couple of stitches with dental floss and a boot patch has worked for me in the past at a similar weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would replace the tire. Penalty for failure of your fix could be pretty high...

mtbr member
    1/8-1/4'' is not very big to me. I'd just patch it with a car tire/rubber cement patch like this. Monkey Grip Radial Tire Patch # M8816 by Victor Automotive Products
    That's worked for me numerous times.

mtbr member
    plus 1 for the chongoman.....HEY ajmelin ~You can certainly patch that from the inside. clean and sand (ruff up) the inside of the tire at the wound. then smear in the rubber cement and let dry. apply the patch normally and use a quality, (not walmart!) patch that is 1-1/4 inches in diameter or larger. rub the patch like crazy to make sure it stays put.
    now for the secret. sand and ruff up the patch you just installed. then glue and apply a second patch on top of the first one. WHY? you need the extra thickness to keep your tire from blowing a bubble with the first patch.. a larger slice might need a third patch. i have saved more than one tire this way. best-o-luck!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I use a rubber auto patch and gorilla glue, ...works like a champ , put it in a vice for acoupple hrs and it never moves .
    I could not keep any Specialized "control" series tire sidewall alive for even one ride tho, they did not like pounding through the chunk .......they are light but also alittle week .

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin View Post
    My front tire is a specialized captain control with homebrew (WSS) tubeless sealant. I've read about people sewing up tears, and I've used patches to fix holes in my tread. This is my first sidewall issue, can I salvage the tire?
    I'm a big fat fatty at 250 pounds, so I'm concerned about the flex of the sidewall if I just patch it. Right now I'm running a tube and milk jug boot until I figure out a permanent solution.
    Thanks all
    I use the Captain. They have smooth side walls. I clean mine with Goof Off and just use a bike patch. They lasted well over 200 mile bikeback trip with out any issues. Never used the car patches, seems like a good idea, but the bike patches worked for me and are cheap and available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sometimes I will just use a piece of inner tube and gorilla glue .....cheep , easy ......clamp it in the vice and there you go .

mtbr member

Wink

Awesome feedback everyone, thanks!
    Like I said, I've patched similar holes in the tread area, just not inthe side wall. I like the patch over a patch idea. I'll give that a go, and clamp it overnight. Hopefully I'll be able to ride tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I clean off the tire sealant with acetone and use motorcycle size slime brand patches. Be careful not to sand to aggressively. I got caried away on a Maxxis Ignitors once and the casing ended up bulging around the patched area.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    I use a rubber auto patch and gorilla glue, ...works like a champ , put it in a vice for acoupple hrs and it never moves .
    I could not keep any Specialized "control" series tire sidewall alive for even one ride tho, they did not like pounding through the chunk .......they are light but also alittle week .
    Similar, I would get small tears, then would put a boot inside with tube to keep going. Then at home patch from the inside. Gets lame to keep fixing them. I tore a captain control 2bliss riding UP the fire road on somo. Gosh darn it!

Black and Sticky

Park Took Emergency Tire Boot

I have had great success with the emergency tire boot, which you can buy at just about any LBS plus REI. Clean the torn area with rubbing alcohol, acetone, or similar, sand very lightly, and then apply the boot. Cheap, easy, quick, and extremely effective for a tear as small as you indicate.

Park Tool Co. » TB-2 : Emergency Tire Boot : Tube & Tire

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have had a couple of torn sidewalls. The method that I use is to stitch up the tear and then apply tube patches to the inside of the tire. Every torn that I have repaired has required at least two tube patches to cover it from the inside. Also, when you stitch the tear make sure you dont get too close to the edge of the tear. I would go at least 1/8th of an inch out. Stitching is essential to make a repair last. I have gotten full life out of repaired tires.
    Killing it with close inspection.

dirt visionary
    I tore the sidewall on my single ply minion on shultz...Had no more plugs and it was a good lil slice...Took my knife and cut a strip off my sock stuffed it in the hole . Been good ever since lol and thats been around 4 months not ideal but got me off the mountain without having to pull out the tube and dealing with the mess.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Had a patch blow out of a Nevegal recently not a good experience. I would replace the tire if I had the option.