Zoic Ether biking shorts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Zoic Ether biking shorts

I ordered these from Amazon and came in the mail the other day. These are some nice mountain biker shorts. They have 6 pockets (4 of which are zippered). Made of 95% polyester and 5% spandex. Has an elastic waist band and waist adjusters. Venting mesh through out. I ordered mine with a padded liner. They come in a multitude of different colors. I got the dark grey and black. They are extremely comfortable and they fit to just below the knee. Very happy with this purchase. I paid a total of $76 (including tax and shipping) at Amazon.Zoic Ether biking shorts-img_0104.jpg

mtbr member
    They look good but I've read that they only have a 12" inseam, which is too short to avoid knee pad gap. I have to have 14" and I would love it if Zoic made a longer option. Knee pads are extremely common these days.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The zoic shorts are nice but i dont like the elastic waist band. It seems to soak up sweat and takes longer to dry. Otherwise its a nice pair of shorts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My Ethers are overall my favorite shorts, but they do need a bit longer inseam.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ethers are my favorite shorts, bar none. Inseam is perfect (can't stand longer ones), liner is solid, well fitted for me to stay out of the way, quiet and durable. I like Black Market too, but Ethers are my favorite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Ethers are my favorite shorts, bar none. Inseam is perfect (can't stand longer ones), liner is solid, well fitted for me to stay out of the way, quiet amd durable. I like Black Market too, but Ethers are my favorite.
    Knee pads?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Knee pads?
    I'm not sure the issue...I wear knee pads about half the time and there is no problem with the inseam...what is the advantage of a longer inseam with knee pads? I just hate the longer ones when the shorts go over the knee, because when you're not wearing knee pads they are bothersome.

Jonesin'
    I have two pair of ethers and I like them. I liked the older fabric they used on my first pair better...it is synthetic but has a feel more like denim jeans. The new fabric is more "plasticy" (is that even a word?).

Travis, I wear mine with kneepads (RF Indy) sometimes. Doesn't seem to matter. Why is knee pad gap a problem? The only problem I get is the pads themselves not staying up. The Ethers sit right at the knee for me (standing).
    Don't let it get you down, but there's a good chance you were an accident.
    2017 SC 5010

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Zoic do make longer shorts if you're trying to avoid "knee gap", but they don't have as many pockets or placed in the same manner as the Ethers.

mtbr member
    I find the flash of skin every pedal stroke distracting and I can feel the edge of the short hook on the pad's strap.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I also prefer not to have the pad gap. Some of the newer pads have a longer type section that you can basically hook under the elastic of your liners.

If the Ethers had another 1 or 2 inches of inseam, they would be absolutely perfect.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Jonesin'
    and I can feel the edge of the short hook on the pad's strap.
    Yeah, I can see how that would be annoying. I guess it doesn't happen with my pads...not that I recommend them.
    Don't let it get you down, but there's a good chance you were an accident.
    2017 SC 5010

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Zippers are the weak point overall I think. I still wear mine, probably been washed 75-100 times, somehow crashed and got a hole in the area above the knee and it's not grown after which is cool. I dig the keys lanyard attachment, too bad it's on the same side as the cell phone pocket.
    I like bikes

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I too have several pairs of the Ethers, definitely my favorite overall. An improvement would be to use a different hook Velcro on the waist adjusters, wear out too fast...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    looks like the front pockets dont have zippers? what is the point of bike shorts without zippered pockets? not sure what people put in those pockets. Ive never liked thigh pockets, storing something heavy like a phone or car keys causes it to flop around and bang on your leg when pedaling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I wear the stock liner pads out they wind up splitting on the seams but I wear 3x per week. Some of their better liners are 1 piece on the seams they have told me. I find the new Zoic Ethers to be bullet proof and comfortable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post
    looks like the front pockets dont have zippers? what is the point of bike shorts without zippered pockets? not sure what people put in those pockets. Ive never liked thigh pockets, storing something heavy like a phone or car keys causes it to flop around and bang on your leg when pedaling.
    They are quite deep. I've accidentally left keys, cell phone and my multi tool in there at different times. No issues. I usually only leave food/snacks in there though.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    I love cargo pockets on shorts. I put things like gloves, liners, toques, energy bars and, in the old days maps. Not great for keys or phones though.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    these have been my all time favorite go to's - even w the flaws (zippers are not heavy duty, elastic while comfy does hold some extra sweat...) they fit me and are just plain comfortable.

however - I now have a potential new favorite after a re=design (for the shorts that is). Gravity Anomaly. Small independent brand from Denver and truly a Made in the USA product. In case you are curious - NO - I'm not affiliated, but have worn v1 shorts and shirts and all the new v2 stuff is better - fit, function etc. My favorite riding jerseys - v1 and new v2. I sweat hard and no matter how many times i've ridden the GA gear, it never develops a stink/funk which is also a good thing - just ask my buddies or wife. I've ridden in some zoic or nike or other "tech fabric" shirts and the funk is horrible after the first ride.

Magically Delicious
    Front main zipper seems to be the weak point on mine. Two of three Zoics where I have broken a zipper.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I've been wearing a pair since last year.. just busted the zipper on one of the thigh pockets two days ago but love the shorts. Who needs pockets anyways.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmilin View Post
    I've been wearing a pair since last year.. just busted the zipper on one of the thigh pockets two days ago but love the shorts. Who needs pockets anyways.
    ZOIC has been great with a couple of zipper warrantee cases in the past for me.

mtbr member
    I use pockets every ride, and don't see the point of having shorts without good pockets.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Magically Delicious
    I use pockets every ride, and don't see the point of having shorts without good pockets.
    Fully agree. My pockets get used regularly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I prefer to keep everything other than my can of chew and sometimes my cell phone (gotta check that strava) in my MULE hydration pack. The Zoic pockets without zippers are really deep though and I never seem to much use the zippered thigh ones. After reading some other posts though I am really thinking about checking out some TLD Skyline Air shorts if I can justify the cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Why doesnt trail shorts have a thin foam on the hip bones in case you fall. Something is better than nothing. Doesnt have to be heavy either

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Why doesnt trail shorts have a thin foam on the hip bones in case you fall. Something is better than nothing. Doesnt have to be heavy either

You can buy liners for that protection.

Zoic Ether biking shorts-bk.jpg

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    The zoic shorts are nice but i dont like the elastic waist band. It seems to soak up sweat and takes longer to dry. Otherwise its a nice pair of shorts.

Had to throw away one of my ethers because that elastic lost it's spring and I couldn't keep the shorts up. That one was one of the ones with the thinner material they use now. The older two I have are the original heavier material and somehow that elastic is still fine.