Yet another shoe question. Terraduro vs Rime vs Specialized Comp MTB- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Yet another shoe question. Terraduro vs Rime vs Specialized Comp MTB

Hey everyone, I have a pair of Specialized Tahoes I've been running for 5 seasons and are ready to be retired. I'm a size 14 sneaker and really like the fit of them. These are 47s (I think) and when I tried on a different specialized 47 I couldn't even get my foot in really. I'm considering the three shoes above.

Can anyone provide an updated comparison and reliability on any of them?
    Anyone going from the Tahoe to any of them that can comment on the fit?

I found last years Rime for a good price (Cheaper than comps) and free shipping and am leaning towards those. They seem pretty similar to my Tahoes.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I found the Rime to be a much smaller fit than the Tahoe.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No experience with Tahoes. I REALLY like the Rimes, my second-favorite shoe of all time. Just be aware that you'll destroy the Boa dials if you ride in really techy/rocky terrain.

I'm on the new Shimano ME7, which I like incrementally better than the Rimes.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Nordie, think a one size bump is enough?

Blatant, how do the dials get so messed up?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I'm normally a 45 and they were far too tight. The shop didn't have any 46's for me to try and the next day I got a pair of 2nd hand S-Works Trails for about $100us.

So now I tool around at the back of MTB races wearing S-Works Trails and at the back of road races wearing $70 S-Works 74's.

Style is everything

I've had 1 Boa dial break on the Trails and got a complete replacement set free from Boa.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Hitting on rocks. The Boa company is awesome and will replace broken dials for free.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I need to stop thinking and just pull the trigger on the Rimes. I'm guessing I'll try a 48 which specialized claims is 13.75. I usually wear a 14 sneaker and 13 dress shoe. Hopefully this will be the happy middle ground.

mtbr member
    I don't pay much attention to stated sizes, all my sneakers are size 14 and I'm happily riding with size 50 Sidi Dominators.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Unfortunately I can't just default to a 50. It'd be easier to say that I can, but my current specialized shoes are a 47 and fit great.

I did get my Rimes (48) in the mail Friday and immediately sent them right back. Hopefully they'll be at my house early this week in a 49 and fit well. I'll update when I get them in hopes the sizing info will help someone else in the future.

mtbr member
    I used to love the fit of Specialized shoes, unfortunately (for me and my wide forefoot / narrow heel flipper feet) they changed the fit - they're now too narrow.

I tried on, and bought a quite a few different shoes and have settled on recent Shimano shoes, needing half a size bigger than my old Specialized shoes.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    I love the Terraduro and have had them for almost a year now. I put them through hell and they have held up extremely well. Giro seems to have figured out the delamination issue they had with the sole a few years back and I have had no problems at all. I like the "non-chunky" Vibram soles as I don't turn my ankles when I come off the bike on CT's roots and rocks. They are an enduro shoe and have a little bit of flexibility in the sole. Nowhere near as hard as my Shimano M088.

I wear a size 13 sneaker and wear a 48 in the Terraduro.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    So my Rimes came over the weekend in a size 49 and they seem to fit well. I didn't take them out to ride yet, but they felt good around the house.

For those keeping track...

I wear a 14 sneaker, 13 dress shoe, and had 47 in Tahoes from 2012.