XL full face helmet options similar to Super 3?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    279

    XL full face helmet options similar to Super 3?

    So as it usually goes, I'm looking for a new helmet due to a massive crash on Saturday. No memory of any of it. Wrecked my face and oh so much more.

    While it might be the only time it'll ever happen considering how much I ride and have ridden, it does have me entertaining the notion of a full face helmet. My son rides with a Super 2, with the bar. That thing looks just about perfect for what I want, only problem is the sizing. Any way you cut it, I'm an XL and the Super 3's don't come in XL. The bonus of being able to remove the chin bar appeals to me as well, but I suppose that's out.

    I haven't been able to lay eyes/hands on a Transfer 9. Is the Transfer essentially a Super 3 without the removable bar? Are there some similar lightweight XL sized options I should be considering? It does not need to be DH rated, I'm not that nuts. It gets hot as hell here (we're in the 100's every day currently) so airflow is a necessity.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coolhand80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2011 View Post
    So as it usually goes, I'm looking for a new helmet due to a massive crash on Saturday. No memory of any of it. Wrecked my face and oh so much more.

    While it might be the only time it'll ever happen considering how much I ride and have ridden, it does have me entertaining the notion of a full face helmet. My son rides with a Super 2, with the bar. That thing looks just about perfect for what I want, only problem is the sizing. Any way you cut it, I'm an XL and the Super 3's don't come in XL. The bonus of being able to remove the chin bar appeals to me as well, but I suppose that's out.

    I haven't been able to lay eyes/hands on a Transfer 9. Is the Transfer essentially a Super 3 without the removable bar? Are there some similar lightweight XL sized options I should be considering? It does not need to be DH rated, I'm not that nuts. It gets hot as hell here (we're in the 100's every day currently) so airflow is a necessity.
    The Fox Pro Frame
    https://www.foxracing.com/us/mtb/proframe
    Leatt DBX 3.0 Enduro V2
    https://www.leatt.com/shop/2017-rang...ck-white.html#

    The large in the Leatt is similar size to the XL in the Fox so measure your head and look at the numbers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dagonger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,052
    Giro swithblade

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DrewBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2011 View Post
    So as it usually goes, I'm looking for a new helmet due to a massive crash on Saturday. No memory of any of it. Wrecked my face and oh so much more.
    Given this opener, it sure SOUNDS like you need a DH-rated helmet!

    Try on a Super 3 if you like that design. They changed the fit significantly relative to the Super 2. I have a very big head and I don't much like the 2, I find it pinches around the temples, but the 3 is noticeably more comfortable.

    That said, the Proframe is a much nicer and better-fitting helmet IMHO. It feels like a legit FF DH helmet that's been drastically lightened and vented, while the Super feels like a trail helmet with a (rather unweildy) chin bar Frankensteined onto the front. Proframe is cooler than the Super w chinbar on, though the bar is not removable on the Proframe.

    I have lots of gnarly pedal-to-play trails, but most of them involve long climbs followed by continuous descents. I usually just carry my helmet on the climbs, so the Proframe is great for me.

    Leatt and Uvex both make convertible helemets. Met Parachute is another option for a light FF (not convertible.) I've tried on all but the Leatt, and none feel anything close to as comfy and protective as the Fox.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dagonger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,052
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Given this opener, it sure SOUNDS like you need a DH-rated helmet!

    Try on a Super 3 if you like that design. They changed the fit significantly relative to the Super 2. I have a very big head and I don't much like the 2, I find it pinches around the temples, but the 3 is noticeably more comfortable.

    That said, the Proframe is a much nicer and better-fitting helmet IMHO. It feels like a legit FF DH helmet that's been drastically lightened and vented, while the Super feels like a trail helmet with a (rather unweildy) chin bar Frankensteined onto the front. Proframe is cooler than the Super w chinbar on, though the bar is not removable on the Proframe.

    I have lots of gnarly pedal-to-play trails, but most of them involve long climbs followed by continuous descents. I usually just carry my helmet on the climbs, so the Proframe is great for me.

    Leatt and Uvex both make convertible helemets. Met Parachute is another option for a light FF (not convertible.) I've tried on all but the Leatt, and none feel anything close to as comfy and protective as the Fox.
    Fyi super 3 is not DH rated. Giro Swithcblade is DH rated.

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Given this opener, it sure SOUNDS like you need a DH-rated helmet!
    The truth hurts man! Especially while the stitches are still in! Apparently my face broke my fall. Fortunately the Bell Stoker I was wearing did it's job, as well as my Rudy Project glasses. Unfortunately, they're both done.

    I'm right in the 62-63 CM range... hat size is 7 7/8. Doesn't equate directly, but again... I also have other helmets so I've done this before. If they've massaged the Super 3 a bit, I'll see if I can run one down in a large or I'll amazon one in and return it if it's no good.

    Meanwhile I'm taking notes and making a list on all the others you guys have mentioned. I truly appreciate the feedback and the insight. I found a couple of reviews for convertible helmets with some comparisons in the meantime. Again, the only holdup I think will be sizing first, availability second. I'm ready to get this whole thing in my rear view and get back on the trail.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,279
    Giro switch blade isn't strong enough. Someone on the forum crashed while wearing it. The helmet shear off completely at chin bar

    Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,226
    MET Parachute, though it might be close as they only have large which is listed up to 62cm.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    This is the one I'm waiting for. Some day they'll release it. I've talked to a few pro riders that are loving it.
    His: 2018 Trance Advanced 1
    Hers: 2017 Liv Hail 2

    RIP: 2017 Trance Advanced 2
    First: 2014 Giant Talon 29er 0

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    279
    Cool. The field has already narrowed. I've got the LBS bringing a Super 3 in from another store so that I can check the fit. It's not the 3R, but if the main helmet doesn't fit the bar wont matter. I will probably snag another Stoker until some of the $$$ options like the Proframe or the Leatt show up. The Proframe looks to be a month out.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    143
    The 3R didn't fit me. I have a big head. The Leatt in Large should fit, but only time will tell.
    His: 2018 Trance Advanced 1
    Hers: 2017 Liv Hail 2

    RIP: 2017 Trance Advanced 2
    First: 2014 Giant Talon 29er 0

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    279
    I'm hopeful, but realistically considering I ride an XL in the Stoker, I don't think there's any chance that the Super 3 will fit. Fortunately it's free to try so I'll give it a shot. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot in-store around here in full face. It's liable to be a buy, try, return situation potentially.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2011 View Post
    I'm hopeful, but realistically considering I ride an XL in the Stoker, I don't think there's any chance that the Super 3 will fit. Fortunately it's free to try so I'll give it a shot. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot in-store around here in full face. It's liable to be a buy, try, return situation potentially.
    That's the issue we have. My wife's been trying to find a Giro Switchblade to try. We've seen three total, all mediums.
    His: 2018 Trance Advanced 1
    Hers: 2017 Liv Hail 2

    RIP: 2017 Trance Advanced 2
    First: 2014 Giant Talon 29er 0

Similar Threads

  1. $99 - Bell Super 2R removable chinbar full face helmet
    By GuitsBoy in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2017, 11:39 AM
  2. Full Face Helmet options
    By jm2e in forum Enduro Racing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 07:39 PM
  3. Full Carbon T2 Full-face Helmet 49.99
    By SanguineSpring in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 05:55 AM
  4. Convertible Full Face Helmet / XC helmet
    By Pimpride in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.