XC Winter Kit- Mtbr.com

Thread: XC Winter Kit

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

XC Winter Kit

Hello , Im 15 , 5ft 10'' and looking for some decent XC clothing that will fit but will also be good price.

I need :

Jacket

Jersey / Top

Baselayer

Gloves

Leg wear

Socks

Helmet ( i've got a crappy bell . Looking for a XC specific helmet )

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Keep an eye out for fall clearance sales. Might not have any winter items on sale though but you should be able to get a helmet cheap.

Best time to buy a winter kit is in the spring. Go to a spring bike show and pick up everything you need at clearance prices.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ebay

mtbr member
    My mother for my bday went to Walmart and bought starter brand heat gear. Only $12!!! Id go there for a few things!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Pearl Izumi Select Thermal Jersey 2011 > Apparel > Jerseys > Men's Jerseys | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Just bought one of those last week. So far so good. I expect when it gets bellow 40 I'll have to wear something warmer underneath but for 40 and up it should be plenty. I bought some winter gloves from jenson too partially just to get my order up to $50 for free shipping. Haven't tried those yet.

Amazon has some Merino Wool socks for around $10.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    canker, that looks like a pretty good pick-up for the price. How does the sizing run?

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by jgmu97 View Post
    Hello , Im 15 , 5ft 10'' and looking for some decent XC clothing that will fit but will also be good price.

I need :

Jacket - Voler Windbreaker ebay

Jersey / Top - Any synthetic long sleeve non-cycling shirt, or Helly Hanson Warm baselayer (expensive)

Baselayer - wool (expensive), Helly Hanson (expensive), Go Athletic quikwick baselayer (cheap)

Gloves - full finger, personal preference

Leg wear - leg warmers

Socks - anything synthetic, or drymax (expensive)

Helmet ( i've got a crappy bell . Looking for a XC specific helmet ) - no comment

Thanks
    see edited message above

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ditch any jacket with a hard shell. Due to cycling's high aerobic levels, the materials can't pass sweat fast enough, and you chill. Instead, look for softshells. They are halfway between a fleece and a windbreaker/rain jacket in terms of look, but perform very closely to a rain jacket/windbreaker. They also breathe far better than a jacket. North Face, Marmot, Smartwool, and many other companies, all make softshells, but what will interest you most is one that has a 'dropped tail', that is, a longer hem in the back than the front (the idea being it isn't riding up on your back when you are in riding position). There are softshells made specifically for cycling, but as with all cycling wear, you will pay a huge premium. You can find a decent one for about $100 if you look.

As others have already commented, a good long sleeve athletic shirt can be substituted for a jersey (hey, that's what they are, anyway, right?). Pick up anything made of polyester, or something made with powerdry fabric, if you have a bit more to spend. Wool, if available/cheap, reigns supreme as the king of fabrics. Check thrift stores for wool wear, as you will be hard pressed to find it cheaply anywhere else.

As for baselayers...see above.

Recently, I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Cyclone gloves. Definitely not wind/waterproof, but more than sufficient down to the low 50's I've been in so far. Pick up a pair of lobster claw-style gloves to wear over them when it gets real cold. For what it's worth, Specialized has a fantastic deal, and it is hard to beat a liner sufficient for chilly days by itself, as well as a heavy shell for cold days, for the price.

XC ski pants actually make fantastic wear for biking for a few reasons...they are well ventilated with full length zips/snaps, have a hard front to cut the wind, and a soft back to allow you to vent perspiration/moisture. You may be able to find some cheaper than cycling specific tights, but in my humble opinion, they will still outperform most of what you can get when the temperatures really begin to drop. Craft makes a nice pair under the name 'Performance Full Pant', and they also come in a 'light' version, which is what I would go for. Pick up a pair of polyester thermals to throw under when it gets colder. Expect to spend about $100 on these.

As for socks, grab a pair of 'lightweight' wool hiking socks, and a few very thin synthetics. Wear them in various combinations depending on the weather. It definitely helps here if you have shoes big enough to fit all them in. You might also consider a pair of gortex socks, but I find them mostly unnecessary.

Your helmet can remain unchanged. Pick up a balaclava to wear underneath, and revel in the fact that your helmet is essentially a chunk of insulating foam. I rode into the negatives last year, and it never crossed my mind that I should modify my helmet. Cheaper is better, don't waste your money on fancy designs, just something with a low neck line and a hole for your face. Pearl Izumi, again, actually makes a pretty nice one for a pretty nice amount of money, about $35, last I checked.

Don't skimp on your clothing for cold weather, as it can make or break your enjoyment as well as your health.

[/wall of text]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cj_desmit View Post
    canker, that looks like a pretty good pick-up for the price. How does the sizing run?
    SELECT Thermal Jersey - Pearl Izumi
    They have the sizing listed on there. I normally wear a large but their sizing told me to get a medium and that is what I went with. Seems to be perfect. It is snug without being tight so it is comfortable but isn't loose and flopping around. I'm 5'10" 160lbs and I believe a 38" chest. The one complaint I have about it is the three pouches on the back are just open with no zippers or anything. I'm leery to put anything in them while mtn biking but I have a hydration pack for carrying my junk anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 0