XC or AM helmet w/ best ventilation- Mtbr.com
    Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

XC or AM helmet w/ best ventilation

What do you guys recommend, what has the best ventilation? Currently I've got a Giro XEN and honestly it (fits &) ventilates like [email protected] I need a helmet that really breathes well for XC riding in SoCal heat. Thanks a bunch kids.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I like my Uvex helmet. Very much like the Xen, but much cooler and lighter.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    I like my Uvex helmet. Very much like the Xen, but much cooler and lighter.
    Do you know the model name\number? Where did you get it LBS or online? Reason I ask, I've never seen a Uvex. Thanks.

EDIT Nevermind, I found their site. Sweet helmet, sadly they only go up to 60cm (23.5) I'd need a 63. Thanks though, it is a HAWT looking helmet.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    What do you guys recommend, what has the best ventilation? Currently I've got a Giro XEN and honestly it (fits &) ventilates like [email protected] I need a helmet that really breathes well for XC riding in SoCal heat. Thanks a bunch kids.

I deal with head overheating issues also. Typically the more you spend the better they ventilate. I'm currently using the Bell sweep (awesome helmet) and the Giro Pnuemo (also a great helmet) These are both more on the XC side but I've had two Pnuemo's save my melon when I hit the ground hard. The helmets broke but my head was alright.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Giro E2 works very well in the hot Australian summer.
    cheers
    Pagey

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've heard that the Giro Hex (cheaper version of the Xen) is better ventilated.

wot no bike?
    Wow, I think the ventilation on my Xen is pretty awesome. Maybe that's to be expected from a northeasterner though...
    pete

The Dude Abides
    I think my hex flows like a ventilation fan.
    This aggression will not stand, man.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    Shave your head. Hair blocks air flow through the helmet vents.

Another issue is large/numerous vents let the sun shine directly on your head, which can make you warmer than being shaded and insulated by a less vented helmet. Noticed this when swapping helmets during a solo 12 hour on a hot sunny day.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Shave your head. Hair blocks air flow through the helmet vents.
    Got that covered. I discovered that little secret a few years back riding in Sedona.

Another issue is large/numerous vents let the sun shine directly on your head, which can make you warmer than being shaded and insulated by a less vented helmet. Noticed this when swapping helmets during a solo 12 hour on a hot sunny day.
    Never thought about that, make sense. I think I may go with the Bell Variant in that case. I was looking at the Influx, wider more open vents, but after reading this it's out. Thanks

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Yep, that's why I have an umbrella-hat that I stick on top of my helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ride a Gyro Penumo. I havent crash tested it yet (luckly) but the venting is awesome, and thats why I bought it, vents and fit.

I dont know about all that sun baking your melon, but the trails around here are in the woods and shaded 80% of the time. Even when I used it road biking Ive never noticed issues with the sun on my noggin. YMMV

The more air you move across your skin the cooler your going to be by process of evaporation, and most of your heat flows out of your head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey
    Giro E2 works very well in the hot Australian summer.
    I like my E2 too.. Great helmet.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

Members who have read this thread: 0