X post Helmet Standards and You!- Mtbr.com
    trail fairy

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! X post Helmet Standards and You!

Being off the bike now for just over a year from a C2 Hangman's Fracture and some incurred brain injury, I still have physio twice weekly, attend a concussion clinic [last 6mths now/ my life has gotten pretty quiet and changed somewhat, its all good and looking bright for future! I still get to let loose on mtbr !

I make it my mission to do what I can with awareness on protection, not so much about making people decide what to do but letting you know what options are available e.g neck protection etc Helmets are another long time thing of mine since I come from a Moto X background! So when I see an article like this I spread the word!

With all this in mind, I make the same mistake as everyone else but least I can pass on what Ive learned so even if it saves one other person and no else listens then my jobs done.

Hopefully more than that will take up the call though, my recent post of NI rd in Rotorua it was good to see more protection than the past years here in NZ and new National stds being adapoted at all levels, even though there were some mumblings by people, bikes are not cheap, but protection is an investment not a cost, is great imo!

Peace and ride hard!

Start of the article!

Being a relatively small niche of the mountain bike market and an even smaller niche of the overall cycling market, downhill and freeride mountain bikers have always labored along having to contend with a fairly small selection of riding gear appropriate for their purposes. Perhaps the most contentious piece of equipment among the downhill community is the helmet.
    Full details here

https://www.littermag.com/2009/which-...-and-freeride/

Ive also compiled some links to more details on Moto Helmet models vs MTB models, its not a Helmet test comparison that's not the intent pro reviewers are for that, just so you can see for yourself the visual differences!

While at the doc's the other day, I dropped into a moto shop, and was amazed at how light a moto helmet was no,, the venting ducts were incredible to say the lest!

yes there is allot of padding so will still get hot I would say, but in a DH run, if I ever throw a leg on one again I won't hesitate with a Leat for sure!

https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/helmet-standards-you-481810.html

Is a bigger helmet better DOT vs. MTB. <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________

Rip it up DHers
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Glad to Be Alive
    leat neck brace

a good MX helmet.....I have found the Azonic 708 offers a lot of protection (probably overkill), very comfortable, not huge, comparably light and decent ventilation as a really good helmet....I wouldn't recommend after your injury a Remedy or deviant (they don't offer the protection the azonic 708 offer).
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Idea! Like you, TA, I have been reading............

............and I sent back that fancy new TLD Moto helmet I just bought to exchange it for the bicycle version. After reading the Helmet Shootout post/article on mtbr and all of the links to other helmet information and testing (helmets.org), I concluded that I don't go fast enough to take advantage of the high G force foam material in a moto helmet - most of my falls are below 25 mph and need a less dense foam than what is found in a moto style helmet.

I think the two standards that are valuable for bicycling are the CSPC, ASTM F-2032-00/1952-00, and CE ones. DOT and SNELL standards are nice, but not as important.

In some ways, I am glad you have all this time to read and keep us informed on the boards - however, I still wish you a speedy and full recovery.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Damm this is a very helpful thread! Read your other thread too. I like the Moto helmet with a Leatt (although i have yet to buy a leatt to compliment my fox helmet). V3 FTW
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

trail fairy
    Nice rec there SMT I must admit there's a few Ive missed like Az so porps for that Azy always do good stuff,

def look at that one and add to the other thread!

Steve, very good points- probably a good call - not to scare ya, and my injury was due to a 40 plus kph crash off the track into ruts head first, so ya probably right on the money and I was wearing a piss pot though a good one TSG lol!

But even at low speed ya don't know what you're going to impact into ! I mean go to war people get shot, so nothing ya can do! if ya numbers up its up even if full metal jacket huh just as long as ya aware if it,

Had I landed down the track or even head first down the run off of the course I may have been sore but OK or in not as bad or worse I dunno, just something to consider is all, I have no real memory of it just what Ive been able to see of the ground and where I was lying in the pic's !

I'm back from the Doc this morning and its another 6 months on the sidelines and at least another year of recovery for my brain to fully recover, so study time for me, I'm hoping to do moto mechanic's degree or whatever they call them some form of paper to get me qualified in that field!

But thanks for the thoughts cheers!

huntandride cheers mate I looked at the fox moto and gotta say I was very impressed by that helmet it kicks arse compared to there DH version, that's one top Helmet with a Leat I would feel happy to ride DH again!

Post ya combo here when ya get ya Leat and Helmet sorted be good to see it !

Cheers all for the positive feedback.. keep it coming
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0