Wtarproof riding gloves?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2006

Wtarproof riding gloves?

I have some Gore Bikewear windstopper gloves which I really like unless its raining hard and they get soaked. What kind of waterproof gloves do you guys wear?

-VTB

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005
    I'm a fan of Scotchguarding. Works well for me, at least.

Are you from VA Tech or Vermont?
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by VTBioengineer
    I have some Gore Bikewear windstopper gloves which I really like unless its raining hard and they get soaked. What kind of waterproof gloves do you guys wear?

-VTB
    Not much keeps you dry. I look for gloves that hold the warmth when wet. My favorites are StormKloth shells that I wear over my regular summer gloves. They are wind and water "proof" and do well into the low 30s. But I can not find them lately
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Sep 2006
    thanks guys. I did my undergrad at Virginia Tech. A friend said the gore gloves stayed "warm when wet" but my hands get cold pretty easy. I just bought some OR liners so hopefully that will help.

-VTB

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not much keeps you dry. I look for gloves that hold the warmth when wet. ...
    I'm with shig. My fav glove solution is a heavy snowboard shell (I tore the linings out since the fingers pulled inside-out every time I pulled my damp hands out) over a polypro glove liner. The liners are available in "light" to "extreme" thicknesses for varying temps.

I've never found a truly waterproof glove, other than a rubber glove. Those don't work well for me. I have experimented with placing a thin latex glove between my liner and the shell, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. My hands sweat on the inside and if the shell becomes soaked and it's really cold out, then my fingers still get cold.

The other thing I like to do is carry two or three pair of gloves on longer winter rides. It's nice to put on a dry pair mid-ride.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Quote Originally Posted by VTBioengineer
    thanks guys. I did my undergrad at Virginia Tech. A friend said the gore gloves stayed "warm when wet" but my hands get cold pretty easy. I just bought some OR liners so hopefully that will help.

-VTB
    You need some air space. I have a Gore glove and it is cold because it fits so snuggly
    mtbtires.com

Insanity later
    You could also check out the Seal Skinz gloves. They are completely waterproof, and relatively warm. Your hands do sweat a little but not too bad.

I also use Seal Skinz Socks on occasion.

Apr 2004
    I've been thinking about going with neoprene. Won't be dry, but should be warm enough

DOD Member
    I find wiggling my fingers anytime the terrain allows will help keep them warm. The "death grip" in technical sections forces all the blood out...hence cold fingers.
    MaxSteel

I got nothin'

Waterproof Gloves

I have been using some gloves I bought at Performance. They are the Scriocco gloves and run about $25 on sale. They work down to about 35 degrees but are more water resistant than completely water proof. They work pretty well though. I use them for commuting in the rain and cold days as well as use on the trail.
    Last edited by hydrogeek; 12-21-2006 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    I've been thinking about going with neoprene. Won't be dry, but should be warm enough
    Neoprene fishing gloves work pretty well in the wet. In fact my hands get cold in them if the gloves are not wet.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Just like a wetsuit..

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Neoprene fishing gloves work pretty well in the wet. In fact my hands get cold in them if the gloves are not wet.
    That's how a wetsuit works, by heating the thin layer of water between your skin and the neoprene. Water is a much better heat storage medium than air is. That is why most engines are water-cooled rather than air-cooled.

Sep 2006
    That's funny cause I never notice my hands getting wet.

It's probably going to stick out like a sore thumb now that I've read this thread.

Sep 2006
    That's funny cause I never notice my hands getting wet. I mean they're getting soaked, I just don't notice it.

It's probably going to stick out like a sore thumb now that I've read this thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0