Wrist protection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Wrist protection

Hi all,

Had my fourth ride ever two saturdays ago, loved it, but sprained my entire right arm on a fall. Took a week for the elbow area to finally have 90% range of motion again, but the pain on that was masking my wrist pain, so I'm waiting another week to ride again (can't even push down on my front suspension to bunny hop without a lot of pain). Anyway, I think of it as a good warning for what -could- happen without protection. Being an IT and Network administrator, as well as a father, I need my wrists for all that mouse moving and baby holding!

What wrist protection do you all wear or recommend to prevent breaking/straining? I'm heading off to Moab at the end of the month and would like to have something in place well before then. I don't mind wearing wrist protection during all my rides if it will prevent breakage in the event of a fall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wore a wrist support brace from Walgreens for about $20 a couple years ago. It's wrist specific, left and right hand versions. Really helped on and off the bike after the OTB. Was considering buying a weight lifting glove to ride with as I've seen those with a big wrist wrap support.
    If you've not been to Moab, Bartlett Wash is THE place to learn to ride the slickrock. Just a turn of the handlebar changes the difficulty level. Porcupine Rim is not to be missed, Soverign's fun. Slickrock Trail is work, choose a cool day.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Also in IT and a contractor, so if I don't work, I don't get paid.

I use Flexmeter Single Splint wrist guards. The initial design comes from snowboarding, where they apparently have a lot of wrist injuries. Not cheap at $75, but worth it in my view as they give you a bit of flex and let you hold the bars just fine.

~Disc~Golf~
    I'm a skater from way-back and all wrist guards do is transfer that energy into elbows and hands - mostly hands (namely fingers) - Wrist guards are not the way.
    does locking up your knee seem safe?
    It's a flexible joint - keep it that way ... learn how to fall better
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I'm a skater from way-back and all wrist guards do is transfer that energy into elbows and hands - mostly hands (namely fingers) - Wrist guards are not the way.
    does locking up your knee seem safe?
    It's a flexible joint - keep it that way ... learn how to fall better
    My wife is a gymnast, so I can appreciate learning how to fall better The only problem is, it takes falling to master the art, and falling on an MTB can get you injured pretty quick. I only today feel OK enough to go riding again, and my first fall happened exactly two weeks ago. I'm not really looking for something that will keep my wrist imobile, but something that will help support it should my 220lbs fall on it during a ride. Wrist guards are worn in many sports and forearm breaks are not common.

It would be easier to fall if I weren't going clipless, but while my shoes are attached to the bike, I'm prevented from doing rolls and whatnot.