Would A Skate Shoe Like These Work?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Would A Skate Shoe Like These Work?

I just ordered VP Vice flat pedals and am looking at getting a shoe. I really don't want to spend $80 plus on "Mountain Bike" shoes if not needed. I ride single track beginner to intermediate, nothing too crazy and just can't justify spending for the 5 10 name if I don't have to. Would something like this suffice? Amazon.com: DC Men's Pure Action Sport Sneaker: Sports & Outdoors

Possibly even this? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R42ICAC/...ter_B004LWZQES

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If the point of the shoe is to allow you to ride, then yes they will work.

Cycling specific shoes have a sole that is generally stiffer and made so,that you are a little more efficient when pedalling.

In the long term it may be cheaper to just purchase a pair of cycling specific shoes the first time though.

Your call

mtbr member
    They will work fine, but you may find that the pins wear through the sole much faster than they would with a MTB specific shoe.

Bikesexual
    http://www.fiveten.com/us/closeouts

five tens but older models maybe you can find something there?

I was going to recommend these super cheap except not sure if in your size and they are white (mine are black) but they work perfect and I have VP's as well.

Giro Jacket MTB Shoes 2014 > Apparel > Shoes & Footwear > Flat Pedal Shoes | Jenson USA
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    I wore the DC Court Graphic shoes for a span of 4 or 5 years. Just really liked the looks and feel for every day wear. Never rode a bike with them, they have a really thick padded tounge and I just did not feel like I could get them secure on my feet. No matter how tight I cinched the laces my foot still felt really loose and sloppy in them, and I usually have to wear wider shoes.

Have you looked at a pair of Vans skate shoes? I know a few guys who bike in vans and they like them for the $35-45 you can find them on sale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Sale Pricing on Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Outdoor Shoes and Apparel | Five Ten

five tens but older models maybe you can find something there?

I was going to recommend these super cheap except not sure if in your size and they are white (mine are black) but they work perfect and I have VP's as well.

Giro Jacket MTB Shoes 2014 > Apparel > Shoes & Footwear > Flat Pedal Shoes | Jenson USA
    Dude, I can't thank you enough. Picked up a pair of the Sam Hill 2012 Five Ten | Impact Sam Hill (2012) Mountain Bike Shoe in my size (7) for $59 no shipping. Looking forward to getting them. The Giro's were certainly dirt cheap but I couldn't get past the color. Thanks again!

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    Dude, I can't thank you enough. Picked up a pair of the Sam Hill 2012 Five Ten | Impact Sam Hill (2012) Mountain Bike Shoe in my size (7) for $59 no shipping. Looking forward to getting them. The Giro's were certainly dirt cheap but I couldn't get past the color. Thanks again!
    LOL!! I had told another guy about those and he actually bought them in white : ) Yeah that white is kind of funky.

I paid $50.00 for mine in black a year or so ago, in any event I'm happy I was able to help.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    IMO...most skate shoes and athletic shoes are too "soft". The uppers are too soft and the soles are too floppy. I forgot my shoes on a couple trips and I had to use my Adidas Sambas and my Delta Forces ( ). The sole gripped fine...but not enough support. I can feel a ton of pressure on my arches. Then the uppers...they were just too soft. I had to lace them up mad tight to get my feet to not feel like they were going to come out of the shoe.

mtbr member
    Looks like the OP got a good set of shoes. My experinece with skate shoes is sometimes the sole of the shoe didn't allow the pedal's pins to engage the shoe. Too many large flat areas, not enough valleys for the pins to get into. I wear some Teva shoes. Heavy, but they engage the pedal pins real easy.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The 661 shoes mentioned above are great, but not very sticky for flats. I use mine with Clipless pedals

mtbr member

Would A Skate Shoe Like These Work?

Just ordered those 661 Filters from Backcountry..had a 20% deal (last day today MAR20). I was in the same debate..have been wearing the Oakley skateboard shoes..will give a better report to see if they (661 Filters) are better or worse or same..didn't want spend $ on MTB shoes but gotta see for myself.