Worn Shoes / Cleats?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Worn Shoes / Cleats?

I purchased a pair of Sidi Dragon 2's a full two seasons ago, and over the course of time the carbon bottoms have rutted out near the cleat. The cleats were purchased when I got the shoes. I raced a full two seasons on them but towards the end of this race season, I started noticing some weird play.

Once clipped in, I can shift my shoes left to right (not pivoting, but sliding) on the cleats (I run Time's).

Is this a symptom of carbon rutting, worn cleats, or both? Can I retrofit material below the cleat to get another season out of my shoes?

Thanks in advance!

Rod
    mtbr member
    It's hard to say, but I would replace the cleats before the shoes. Cleats are much cheaper and you'll need them sooner or later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Times are supposed to have some lateral float. You're probably just noticing it because your cleat is worn, allowing it to slide easier.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I had a similar situation with my dragons also, but I run crank brothers. As far I can see, there is really nothing you can do about it. It's kind of annoying, since 99% of the parts of a sidi shoe are replaceable!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack
    I had a similar situation with my dragons also, but I run crank brothers. As far I can see, there is really nothing you can do about it. It's kind of annoying, since 99% of the parts of a sidi shoe are replaceable!
    Did you end up replacing the shoes or continue to ride them? I had hoped for something like this to be available for Time's:

http://crankbrothers.com/shoe_shields.php?itemId=

Not sure what this may be doing to my knees but so far I have had no issues. What I have noticed that if I'm not attentive, my natural foot position is a 5mm to the outside of where I would naturally be locked in if everything was brand new (or it feels that way at least).

Time says there is a +/- 3mm of lateral float, and I can confidently say it's at least double that right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    since I got some new shoes I've been using this poor man's version of the crank brothers shoe shield. These metal plates were in my parts bin, I'm not exactly sure where they came from. Maybe they came with some cleats or shoes. Anyway they are thin and you will wear them out, but it will take a little while. I'm using them with egg beaters but I don't see why they wouldn't work fine with times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanstrive
    ... I raced a full two seasons on them but towards the end of this race season, I started noticing some weird play.

Once clipped in, I can shift my shoes left to right (not pivoting, but sliding) on the cleats (I run Time's).

Is this a symptom of carbon rutting, worn cleats, or both? Can I retrofit material below the cleat to get another season out of my shoes?
    I gave up on Time's because of similar issues. I'm not sure if this is an inherent problem or something caused by my (our?) pedaling/riding style. I decided it is cheaper to go with new pedals than to keep replacing shoes or tyring to modify the shoe/cleat to prolong the shoe life.

Other than this one fatal issue, I really liked the Time's.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I've been riding them as is for a year or so, although after seeing those sheilds I think I will give them a try. I can notice that I have a bunch of extra play in my cleats and they tend to release pretty easy. Not sure if this is the shoes or the pedals though. Last time I sent them to CB to have the springs replaced, they told me that they were becoming to worn to still be covered under warrenty.

ganginwood
    i'm running time's on dragon's. dragons are the worst shoe i've ever owned. the bottom attachments lasted for about 4 months and the carbon soles ripped right off. i recently went to replace the sole kit and noticed that the carbon was missing from the bottom. i'm currently running new cleats with no soles. seems to be working. however, its worth mentioning that i'd replace my shoes 3 times before i ever considered going back to egg beaters. for 18 bucks, i'd just replace the cleats. it'll feel like a new shoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Members who have read this thread: 0