Having come back to bicycling after motorcycling for several years, I've found that there's moto-specific apparel tech that crosses over pretty darn well. Here are three beautiful things.

1. Lee Parks gloves. Deerskin is like riding nekkid, it feels so good. Check out their "tours" model, with wrist closure and double palm. They feel like a little slip of nothing but they are designed to hold up to an 80mph skid on asphalt. A lot goes into the seam design, which is where gloves tend to fail. The material speaks for itself, like buttah. Great temperature range, I've ridden them down into the upper 50's (with an 80mph wind-chill factor) with no problems. Don't be looking for fingerless gloves here; Mr. Parks is a steely-eyed road racer, not a pirate.

2. LD comfort drawers. Motorcyclists gripe about their seats just like bicyclists. And, likewise, spend a lot of money in search of the holy grail. Being the cheapskate I am, I figured, if chamois drawers will make a little teeny bicycle seat tolerable, they should work for this 2x4 BMW calls a "seat." And they did work, sort of. Still had seams in the wrong spots, and still didn't protect from "monkey butt." (If you think psoriasis causes heartbreak, try monkey-butt). So I started wearing LD comfort drawers, made of a high-tech dual-layer fabric that's woven up thick. I mean really thick, it reminds me of really high-quality lightweight neoprene. Only it's cool, comfortable and wicks like Pampers.

Check out the kangaroo-pocket fly, which my wife finds hilarious. "Is that a kangaroo in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" What does she know. Try riding around with a potato in your shorts and see how you like it. (They do make a women's model, but c'mon, like you don't know what a pee funnel is. But then, I don't know what a gusset is; it might be something good, and these have one.)

At any rate, I'm riding these drawers on my bike these days, under BDU shorts of course, and I think they rock. If your butt is in any kind of shape, I wonder if you might like them, and they are only like $35.

2. Forcefield body armor. In particular, the knee pads, which are thin, light and flexible, and carry a CE rating. I'm not sure why most bicyclists don't wear knee pads, or why cycling shorts don't have knee pad slots. I think about how many times I've run home wailing with a skinned knee. And that's just since I turned 40. Forcefield isn't really moto-specific, they market to SWAT team operatives and skiiers as well. What are we, nothing? I can see how any knee pad would be irritating on a long ride, but if you're doing a lot of downhill, get some. Not cheap, but it will make your mother happy.