wool cycling jersey?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

wool cycling jersey?

i rode my mtn bike today. got home and smelled some funk. it was ME!! my lycra shirt failed my deodorant. hahah..my wife urged me to shower ASAP.

i was thinking. merino wool!! my hunting shirts are merino wool and i can crush those things for day and not stank as bad as today.

input?
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    what time did you take that shirt off? I got caught by this weird vibe about 11 minutes ago like a long distance BO, and my wife gathered the wagons. I hope it was you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    . You suck. Haha

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Yeah!
    It's not the shirt that smells, it's the bacteria from your body that flourish on synthetic materials (which are funkier than the other types). Find the deodorant that best handles those bacteria, your synthetic shirts won't funk up.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Wool can get funky too. I think getting things really clean and dry is the best defense although I do like wool jerseys. If I were buying something to eliminate odor, I'd look at some of the performance wear with silver in the material (kills bacteria). I've got a silk undershirt for XC skiing that has silver in it and it never gets funky.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat. I use Degree antiperspirant/deodorant and I never stink no matter how sweaty I get or how much I'm outside in the heat...until I put on a cycling jersey. Even my wicking t-shirts are safe from the stench. But even the shortest low intensity 30 minute ride and I come home stinking like death. And I've yet to wash my jerseys and have them come out 100% odor free. They always seem to retain some degree of funk.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I use Degree antiperspirant/deodorant and I never stink no matter how sweaty I get or how much I'm outside in the heat...until I put on a cycling jersey. Even my wicking t-shirts are safe from the stench. But even the shortest low intensity 30 minute ride and I come home stinking like death. And I've yet to wash my jerseys and have them come out 100% odor free. They always seem to retain some degree of funk.
    yup.

i went 10 days in the woods with a merino wool shirt and never stunk. i washed that thing by dunking it into the Kern river.

one guy hikes with a lycra shirt. he was potent. i'm gonna try one. look all vintagy. crazy expensive tho.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Patagoina and ibex make some great merino wool shirts. I like mine with the 1/4 zip fronts. So much better for less moisture on the skin.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Steep and Cheap sales ftw.

mtbr member
    Not totally on topic, but I'm interested in merino wool, but do they get snagged by tree branches easily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '15 Spesh Epic World Cup
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT

mtbr member
    Get thee to Costco. In Canada they have long sleeve 100% merino long sleeve T's for $22.99. Gotta be cheaper down in the US.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg81 View Post
    Not totally on topic, but I'm interested in merino wool, but do they get snagged by tree branches easily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think they snag more or less than other types of garments, they do pick-up little bits of nature as you ride and they're pretty resilient to damage from snags.

Moderator Moderator
    I've got an Ibex wool jersey that I've had for a decade and have treated badly for all that time. It's got the widest temperature range and is my favorite cycling garment by far. It's got a few snags from bushwacking, but that's about it. It never stinks, only I do. They are spendy, but I can't recommend merino blend jerseys enough.

I'm a huge fan of merino, socks, underwear, Tshirts, layering pieces, outerwear, you name it, I've probably got it. Great stuff and it wears really well. Costco sells cheap Merino socks that are equal in quality to Smartwool and 1/3 the price that are great for winter riding.

mtbr member
    FWIW: If you want/need to de-stench your apparel, wash in borax or Oxi-clean. I always wash riding/sporting apparel thus. These disassemble odor molecules and the bacteria that create them without any deleterious ramifications to your kit.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I have 2 old costco tops that have lots of holes in the forearms. They are about 6 years old and yeah they are fragile when crashed but they were only $20.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Sierra T. Post has Merino Shirts from 19$ Terramar's up to Smartwools and Icebreaker. I've been an Icebreaker fan for a while but they're all pretty good. I THINK they stink less than lycra, they probably snag about the same. Another option is Uniqlo heat tech, I believe they are treated with an anti funk agent and come in a light fleece zip neck, and warmish lycra zip neck as well. Those are both around $19