Women's Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Women's Shoes

Mar 2004

Women's Shoes

I went with a friend today to the local Perfomance looking for shoes. She wants to try mountain biking, and already rides clipless on the road. They only had 2 shoes specifically for women two Cannondale tennis shoe types. The sales rep said that most women wear men's shoes anyway. This sounded strage to me, and I didn't want to recommend it not being a woman and all.

So ladies do you wear men's mtb shoes? If so, or not, do you have a favorite, or hated pair?

Don't worry, be happy!
    I wear what fits.

Jun 2005

Yes

There is a bigger selection in Men's shoes and I think most women wear them, they are mostly european sizes, however there are some great women specific shoes out there. I love my Specialized road shoes, fit like a glove.

mtbr member
    i wear women's Sidi's

women'd shoes tend to run more narrow, but it really depends on the individual, wear what fits.

When fitting, remember the sole is stiff and should not bend much. while walking this makes the heal shil up and down - that's normal since the sole does not flex.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

I went with Specialized Comps. They're now in their 3rd year of riding/racing. They've held up great!!! despite the scrapes, falls, mud, rain, & sand. It was the best $100 I ever spent.

Jan 2006
    Working in retail, I know that women's shoes (and clothing) are often not as durable, and are more expensive than men's, for the same type of product.
    Luckily for me, I have wide feet, so I usually buy men's shoes and they are fine. Fit is what matters most, so she should get what fits, regardless of the "sex" of the shoes. I recently got some Performance Forte shoes, with 3 velcro straps and they're great for me.
    Maybe because I am a 49 year old "tom-boy," I tend to like men's shoes better anyway. They're usually more practical and often nobody notices that they're men's.

Catherine

Apr 2004

I second that...

Quote Originally Posted by dr.endo
    I went with Specialized Comps. They're now in their 3rd year of riding/racing. They've held up great!!! despite the scrapes, falls, mud, rain, & sand. It was the best $100 I ever spent.
    I'm into the third year on my Comps, too. Nothing but goodness.

g

Mar 2004
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your responses!

I'm with Padre....
    I had some women's sidi's for about a year and a half. the toe box area was a little cramped. I've since switched to the men's version and I'm loving it.

I can ride all day and never have to think about my feet.
    thanks to: Niner Bikes & The Path Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonolithicX
    I went with a friend today to the local Perfomance looking for shoes. She wants to try mountain biking, and already rides clipless on the road. They only had 2 shoes specifically for women two Cannondale tennis shoe types. The sales rep said that most women wear men's shoes anyway. This sounded strage to me, and I didn't want to recommend it not being a woman and all.

So ladies do you wear men's mtb shoes? If so, or not, do you have a favorite, or hated pair?
    I think almost all of my MTB shoes have been mens shoes. I think I had a pair of Sidis that were womens. I've honestly never really understood quite what the difference is other than the size range (i.e. if you're a woman with a really small foot you'd need women's shoes to find one that fits.)

But like others have said - I just buy what fits. And if I can find what fits and is also on sale -- better yet.

Team Cspine
    Obviously I haven't worn these but I've heard these in particular are very comfy:

http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.asp...d5af02&pl=BIKE

Although I may wear a men's size shortly...
    Sorry what?

Aug 2005
    I am into my second year with my Men's Specialized Comps and I LOVE them! Really comfortable! I didn't like any of the woman's shoes that tried.

Feb 2006
    heh heh, I wear my tennis/running sneakers! I don't run and I don't play tennis!
    But they work pretty well, except that they don't grip!

Bike Matron
    Jul 2004

Guy shoes...

Guy shoes don't work for me -- too big, too wide, too loose in the heel. I have narrow, low-volume feet (size 9.5 or 10). Had a pair of Diadora women-specific shoes (good basic shoe) that fit well but only lasted a year or two. Then sprung for the women's Sidi's, which have lasted for 3 years and seem good for another year or two. They fit well, are really adjustable (the ratchet buckle snugs things up nicely) and come in half sizes (important if you fall in between the whole sizes in European sizing). The are comfortable if you have to hike-a-bike for short distances.
    They have been worth the $$ in the long term, but the $$ can hurt up front. Women's sizing is different than guys, but whatever fits.

Trail Goddess

How's the shoe searching going?

I wear a pair of women's Shimanos that are like gloves for my feet. I liked them so much that I urged my husband to try the men's ones when he went to replace his. He got them for the same thing I liked, they fit.

I always give the same advice to people "don't worry about if they're men's or women's, hip or passe, if you like the feel and the look, get them". It seems the best advice for every item of clothing.

Fiona
    Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!!

Mar 2006
    I work at Performance in the apparel dept. so I will give a little insight. A lot of women who come in to buy shoes, end up buying menís shoes. If a woman does not have a narrow foot, then a menís shoe will most likely fit. Usually, the difference in width between a menís and womenís shoe is that the menís shoe is 1/8 inch wider. My advice is to try on different brands because they all fit different. From what I have experienced, Shimano tends to run a little wide, and Italian shoes, such as Sidi and Diadora, tend to run on the narrow side. I hope this helps.

Chris

mtbr member
    I ride clipless, and stumbled onto using Diadora Trailblazer's (Women's) shoes for 2 years and love them. They have a nice solid platform, and give decent ankle support and protection. Unfortunately, they are discontinued :-( but I think you can still get them on closeout at Performance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Having a low volume foot myself, makes finding shoes that fit nearly impossible. The biggest thing that has helped broaden my selection has been to have custom footbeds made. With the footbeds, I can actually fit in some shoes, and some are men's.

I have to agree with everyone here, buy what fits, and if you want the best performance level shoe, they usually only come in men's anyway.

pixy

mtbr member
    I wear Men's, always have, probably always will. I think you get more shoe for less money. Size 7 apprx = 39.

PLUS you can buy (mailorder) the smaller sizes that don't sell as well. My new Carnacs (which I love) were about 1/2 price.

mtbr member since 1997
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    I wear Men's, always have, probably always will.
    Me too, but because of my size: men's 44 (women's 11.5-12 depending on the shoe).

Shoe fit varies considerably by brand. You just buy what fits. I just had an opportunity on a screaming deal for new road shoes; I could have had a Nike high end carbon shoe for a song, but ended up with the middle of the line Shimano because I couldn't abide the fit of the Nike. It had some kind of neoprene sock and it made me feel too claustrophobic. The Shimano's fit perfectly.

Then again, when I bought my mtb shoes a few years back there wasn't a Shimano model that fit me and I ended up with Diadora's.

They must change the sizing every year or so.

Mary Ann
    Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the mastery of it (to paraphrase Mark Twain).

Members who have read this thread: 0