Women's riding shoes?- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

Women's riding shoes?

This is my first post and not only am I new here but I'm new to riding as well.

The thought of having my feet connected to my bike is a little scary but so is having my regular sneakers slipping off the pedals all the time. So far I'm pretty much road riding but the slightest bump and my feet are all over. I'm not sure if I'm even going to like them (if they're not comfortable, I doubt I will wear them) so I don't want to go too expensive but I'm also having a hard time finding women's sizes in half decent shoes without breaking the bank.

Any suggestions?

brg
    mtbr member

what size shoe do you wear?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGirl
    This is my first post and not only am I new here but I'm new to riding as well.
    ...so I don't want to go too expensive but I'm also having a hard time finding women's sizes in half decent shoes without breaking the bank.

Any suggestions?
    And what type of trails will you be riding?

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brg
    And what type of trails will you be riding?
    I don't see myself getting into anything too tough or doing jumps. So far just road and flat dirt trails. I haven't been to the good ones around here (Philadelphia area) so I'm not sure what they're like. Does it really make a difference for shoes?

Don't worry, be happy!
    so you are looking at a shoe/clipless system? Or just shoes?

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    so you are looking at a shoe/clipless system? Or just shoes?
    I'm looking for a clipless system. I know there are different systems and I haven't even gotten far enough to figure out the differences. All I've seen so far are mens and a few women's that are pretty $$$ so I figured I'd start with the shoes and deal with whatever sysem they work with. Probably doing things backwards so tell me if I am!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGirl
    I'm looking for a clipless system. I know there are different systems and I haven't even gotten far enough to figure out the differences. All I've seen so far are mens and a few women's that are pretty $$$ so I figured I'd start with the shoes and deal with whatever sysem they work with. Probably doing things backwards so tell me if I am!
    There are definately a lot of choices in pedals. I can this about shoes, if you go too cheap, you get a sole that is likely to break in two rather quickly due to stresses of being clipped in.

brg
    mtbr member
    the reason I was asking about types of trails is I have an extra pair of shoes I'll probably never use again. There were worn 1 time and are not suited to the type of riding I do. (~ie they don't have a nubby sole - so if you are walking a technical section they probably aren' the best).

I'd gladly give them to you if you are willing to pay for shipping - the kicker is they are size 5.5.

they look like this...
    http://shop.planetcycle.com/shop/ite...65&partner=bbb

if you are interested - PM me.
    Last edited by brg; 11-14-2005 at 11:42 AM.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brg
    the reason I was asking about types of trails is I have an extra pair of shoes I'll probably never use again. There were worn 1 time and are not suited to the type of riding I do. (~ie they don't have a nubby sole - so if you are walking a technical section they probably aren' the best).

I'd gladly give them to you if you are willing to pay for shipping - the kicker is they are size 5.5.

they look like this...
    http://shop.planetcycle.com/shop/ite...65&partner=bbb

if you are interested - PM me.
    Is that a women's 5.5 or a mens? Either way, thank you for the offer!

I was driving myself nuts trying to figure out sizes. I'm a 7.5 womens which is a 5.5 mens and I think a 39??

I'm just not a shoe person and I only buy them when I have to...my boyfriend even buys more shoes than me!

How much should I be expecting to pay for a pair that won't break in half and hopefully is actually comfortable?

mtbr member
    fitting bike shoes for a new rider is hard. first, the soles of bike shoes are made stiff, the stiffer the better. But whne you try them on and try and walk they feel all funny with maybe your heal slipping. The heel slipps because the shoe does not bend. STIFF SOLES.

Try on as many as you can. The object is to fill up the shoe as much as possible with out getting too tight. If your foot slide back and forth in the shoe, even a little bit, that can cause Hot Foot. Too tight and as you ride your feel swell and hurt.

The ones like BRG posted are good starter shoes. And if they tear up too soon, Shimano should replace them.

I like these pedals for new to clipless riders

Point being that when you feel sketchy and don't want to be clipped in your foot stays securely on the platform of the pedal.

There are lots of options for the clipless/platform pedals, Crank Bro's, and Time I think both have versions.

Back to shoes. I'm a fan of Sidi's. Two reasons. They last, yea they are price but they last. second I like the way they fit your feet. the material, Loirca, forms around your feet. they stretch slightly as your feet swell or if you need wool socks.

Am I getting too bulky?
    You can probably pick up a decent pair for $80 to $100. As for the trails question, inside the city of Philladelphia the primary MTB mecca, Wissahikon, has sections that are technical ( rocky and steep ) as hell. A beginer is likely to need soles that can handle walking large slabs of rock, embedded boulders, as well as gravel and hardpack. Belmont Plateau is technical in a different way, and you'll encounter slick, greasy, and tight roller coaster conditions, with lots of log overs and soft earth. If you're actually going to mountain bike the trails in and around Philadelphia, and there's no reason not to, get some shoes that have decent amounts of tread that's not rock hard. Hard soles tend to slip on rock. Shoes with toe spikes would also not be ill advised. Don't worry about sizing. You'll figure it out when you try the shoes on. DO NOT buy your first pair of shoes mail order, as fit varies widely from brand to brand. As for the pedal system, most shoes can handle all the popular pedals with no trouble. The two are basically independent.

Hope to see you out there on the trails.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Jun 2005

$$

I wouldn't go shooting a wad on Sidi's yet until you know you are going to stick with it for awhile. They definitely last the longest but if you are going for economics there are affordable choices.
    The shoe and pedal come seperate although you can get deals on combos. The TIME pedals are easy to get in and out of and you can use the same pair for road and mountain if you want. Road shoes tend to be a little stiffer but there is no harm in swapping pedals and using the same shoe/pedal combo. Once you get into, whether it be road vs. Mtb then you can get more picky..
    I have always had fairly good luck with Specialized shoes and you can proabably get a deal on 05 close outs on Performance or Nashbar......
    Good luck and keep in mind there will be that one time whem you will just fall over and not come unclipped.........it happens to everyone and usually in front of a crowd.

Members who have read this thread: 0