Women's Mountain Biking Gloves- Mtbr.com

Feb 2006

Women's Mountain Biking Gloves

Ok, well my girlfriend needs some mountain biking gloves. We've been all over town to almost every bike shop and nothing seems to quite fit the bill. I've also searched online. Here's the problem... I think she should get full fingered gloves. She doesn't want them to look too much like "motorcross" gloves. She wants padding in the palm and she wants them to be at least sorta girlie looking. Anyone have any advice here? We did find a pair of Specialized gloves that she liked ok... they were a women's specific in a blue but the local shop charges more than retail... they were $39.99 or $36.00 I think and neither of us thought that was a fair price. If she could choose from gloves that were not full fingered she'd have a pair by now. Is it that big of a deal to insist on getting full fingered gloves?

roar
    Why do you think she needs full fingered gloves? Dude, just because you think she should have full fingered doesnt mean she should. I like full fingered, but its totally personal preference. I got some full fingered pearl izumi gloves that are pretty girlie at the local REI. Im sure she could find them on line. But I say whatever she wants she should have... whatever is comfortable and looks good at the same time.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

Apr 2006
    I use these for XC riding:

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Prod...=24055089F.jpg

I also have these:
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP....jsp?spid=9969

Both are lightweight and cool for the summer time. And I think they are both under $30. But if she doesn't like full fingered gloves then let her get whatever she wants.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by IdeaMan
    If she could choose from gloves that were not full fingered she'd have a pair by now. Is it that big of a deal to insist on getting full fingered gloves?
    I prefer full finger because it protects your hands/knuckles/fingers from skin loss a whole lot better than half finger gloves..

Feb 2006
    She doesn't mind full finger gloves, there's just a ton more choices in half fingers that "look cute" and I think she could use the added protection because I know that as soon as she cuts up her fingers she's going to complain about it. Just trust me on that part! She's not a diehard mountain biker and we're both really just staring out... I'm a lot more gung ho about it than she is and I'm trying to keep her happy and get her more into it.
    Last edited by IdeaMan; 05-02-2006 at 04:35 PM.

enjoys skidding
    I just bought Jess (gf) a pair of Sette Signature Full Finger Gloves. We were worried they wouldn't fit at first but they are a perfect fit. I couldn't imagine how small a male would be (don't read into it, no pun intended) to fit into those gloves.

I usually shy away from the cheaper brands, but I was impressed by the quality.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    I use these for XC riding:

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Prod...=24055089F.jpg

I also have these:
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP....jsp?spid=9969

Both are lightweight and cool for the summer time. And I think they are both under $30. But if she doesn't like full fingered gloves then let her get whatever she wants.
    She doesn't like the Fox Inclines because she wants padding in the palm of the hand. She actually does like those SPecialized gloves but they were $39.99 or $36.00 at the LBS. The online price of $27.00 is only for black in size L and she needs a M and wants the blue. I can't seem to find SPecialized gloves online other than eBay and they are mostly selling 05 and 04 type gloves which she hasn't tried on... I don't know if a Medium 06 fits just like it did last year or the year before, etc.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4
    I just bought Jess (gf) a pair of Sette Signature Full Finger Gloves. We were worried they wouldn't fit at first but they are a perfect fit. I couldn't imagine how small a male would be (don't read into it, no pun intended) to fit into those gloves.

I usually shy away from the cheaper brands, but I was impressed by the quality.
    She may like the blue version of those... do they have any padding in the palm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    I prefer full finger because it protects your hands/knuckles/fingers from skin loss a whole lot better than half finger gloves..
    Me too. I don't like padding on the palm either so if I wasn't going to get a decent amount of protection, why even bother... I remember trying gloves with big gel ulnar pads when I was getting started, and like saddles with a lot of squish, they went in the trash.

enjoys skidding
    Quote Originally Posted by IdeaMan
    She may like the blue version of those... do they have any padding in the palm?
    When you say padding - do you mean extra layers of fabric (I don't know what glove fabric is called.. is it a suede?). If you do, yes, it does have extra layers over the palm area - it is the black section in the photo.

mtbr member
    I like the PI Gel Lites. I have hand/wrist issues and really like the gel pads. Yep, they run $35-$45 but they last a long time even getting washed often.

I also prefer half finger gloves. I live where it's hot and full finger gloves make my hands unfomfortable warm and sweaty.

It's totally a personal preference.

Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by connie
    Me too. I don't like padding on the palm either so if I wasn't going to get a decent amount of protection, why even bother... I remember trying gloves with big gel ulnar pads when I was getting started, and like saddles with a lot of squish, they went in the trash.
    I agree totally...too much padding and it seems to fatigue my hands way more and I my hand gets cramped up.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4
    When you say padding - do you mean extra layers of fabric (I don't know what glove fabric is called.. is it a suede?). If you do, yes, it does have extra layers over the palm area - it is the black section in the photo.
    there are gel pad gloves, and gloves with just double layers of pseudo-suede. I prefer no gel.

mtbr member

Wink I would suggest

Not wasting the gas it takes to get to a store to save four dollars.

Get the Specailized. They are my favorite mens gloves. The Big S seem to be really into "body geometry." They have left-handed socks and right_handed socks, so to speak.
    I think that S is not allowed to be sold online.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Girlie Gloves

Check out Terry Bicycles. Here's one pink pair she might dig:

http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail....t&item_no=1322

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I recently tried Louis Garneau gloves and have been pretty happy. I prefer less padding and half finger. They have a decent selection of women's gloves also. Could be worth checking if there is a dealer in your area. If not, I would go w/ the Specialized ones she likes and pay a little extra.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    I like the Fox gloves as they're the only ones that really have a good fit for me. The Specialized glove padding made my hands go numb

I use BMX gloves now because of the amount of crashes I've had lately, because the pads are a bit more durable. The ones I'm using are the Fox Pawtector.
    i like the Fox gloves too. But then again i don't mind the motocross look nor do i mind no padding. in fact i prefer no padding. oh, and i get the Fox gloves in the kid's size M (which works out to a size 6 glove). they're usually under $30.

i also prefer full finger for mtb'ing to protect my knuckles. i seem to lack depth perception and run into trees alot. or maybe i just lack skills.

i also didn't like the Specialized gloves. while the padding didn't make my hands numb it did give me a horrendous blister that ripped open during a race. very uncomfortable.

sorry, don't have much to offer on the "girly" side of things. i usually find that black goes with everything.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Jan 2005
    I buy direct from Specialized all the time online,

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...uipGlovesWomen

They are a great online retailer.

If she likes the gloves, go with it.

Cookin' in AZ

My wife likes these.

Novara Full-Finger Lifeline Bike Gloves - Women's. From REI. They have padded plams and the little flower makes them girly.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...jpg&view=large
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This space intentionally left blank

Queen Kona
    Agree that you should buy the Specialized gloves. I have them and love them. I've tried so many other pairs and my short fingers just got lost and made shifting and unzipping my Camelbak a major pain. Most higher end bike clothing is priced the way it is for a reason -- it's a good product.

As for the full-finger issue. I like full for mountain biking and shorter ones for the road. When I'm riding in the woods, I want to be agressive without worrying about cutting up my fingers or sticking them in something that's hard to wash off. Full fingers are also great in wet conditions and make shifting easier.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Berge
    Novara Full-Finger Lifeline Bike Gloves - Women's. From REI. They have padded plams and the little flower makes them girly.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...jpg&view=large
    She actually agreed to order those... well some in their online outlet that are just like the ones you linked to only the flower is bigger. The problem though, is that they have "cool-weather protection" and we thought they might be too hot for the summer. Do you have these? If so, what do you think about wearing them in the summer?

Cookin' in AZ
    Well, we live in Phoenix, AZ and she uses them year-round without any complaints. They seem to breath well. I don't know about clod weather protection, but they are fine for the moderate to extreme hot we get here. The nice thing about REI is they will take them back no questions asked.
    This space intentionally left blank

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    i like the Fox gloves too. But then again i don't mind the motocross look nor do i mind no padding.
    Yeah, I think I prefer the motocross look. Of course I actually use my gloves for both MTB and moto riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0