Women specific armor tops- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Women specific armor tops

Hi ladies,
    Quick question: Trying to get my wife into mountain biking but she has a medical condition in one arm where she must not get scratched up. I know you might say she probably should not be riding but she would really like to give it a try. SO my question is which brand or type of tops (full sleeves) should she be looking for? We're looking for something with pads but not too bulky - she does not necessarily needs a DH attire but if it is which one is better designed for women and do they have removable spine and chest plates - again we only need to protect the arms from shoulder to wrist. A well vented suit would be great since the more comfortable she is the less painful riding will seem...
    Many thanks

BTW: She has tried a 661 pressure suit at a local bike shop but it was men's suit and the size was not exactly right. She's 5'-7" with average shoulder width.

G

Freeriding Feline
    I'm 5'7". I used to have a small 661 suit and now I have a medium Dainese.
    I think RockGarden makes women's specific armor but I've never tried it.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    I'm 5'8" and have a Dainese armor jacket too, and the spine protector does zip off. It's mostly a matter of trying on everything you can find to see what fits best. They're all a little different.

I'm a "she".
    I got punched in my stomach twice this weekend by the end of the handle bars while falling off of my mountain bike. I could really use some armor. Where do you go to look for those things? Especially if you need to try them on. Sports stores? Motorcycle stores?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    I got punched in my stomach twice this weekend by the end of the handle bars while falling off of my mountain bike. I could really use some armor. Where do you go to look for those things? Especially if you need to try them on. Sports stores? Motorcycle stores?
    Bike shops that carry DH bikes/gear, and some motorcycle stores have a good selection of body armor.

mtbr member

Try D30

I bought a Sessions snowboard top ("Thermatics Jersey") last year that has the D30 technology in it because I don't really need/like full armor as I get very hot when riding. That said, it's a base for snowboarding, so it isn't the most cooling of fabrics either. I bought a mens small that fits well for me (120lb).

If you've never seen it, it's like flubber. It's soft and flexible when riding along and the minute you impact the floor, it goes hard like armor.

http://www.d3o.com/products.php?section=4

I think Spyder are using it in a women's downhill jersey too, but I dread to think how much it'd cost (my Sessions top ran me about $50).

mtbr member

Try D30

I bought a Sessions snowboard top ("Thermatics Jersey") last year that has the D30 technology in it because I don't really need/like full armor as I get very hot when riding. That said, it's a base for snowboarding, so it isn't the most cooling of fabrics either. I bought a mens small that fits well for me (120lb).

If you've never seen it, it's like flubber. It's soft and flexible when riding along and the minute you impact the floor, it goes hard like armor.

http://www.d3o.com/products.php?section=4

I think Spyder are using it in a women's downhill jersey too, but I dread to think how much it'd cost (my Sessions top ran me about $50).

Members who have read this thread: 0