Winter shoes with wider toe box?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Winter shoes with wider toe box?

I have an older (like 10 years old) pair of Lake MXZ300 winter cycling shoes. Still in great shape, but coming to realize that the toe box is really way too narrow for my wide feet. Looking to get a new pair of winter shoes, but need something with a wider toe box.

Anyone know if the New Lakes (302's) are built any different....with a wider toe box or still just as narrow?
    How about the Northwave Celsius GTX?

Michael
    Last edited by KMan; 10-31-2012 at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Maybe Keen?

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    I'm looking for the same. I read somewhere the Northwave was wider than Shimanos. I wear a wide in my Specialized summer shoes, but they don't offer wide in their Defroster version. The search goes on.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Doesn't Lake offer a wide version now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a wide-ish foot and I tried on a lot of different shoes to find a brand with a good width. Northwave had good width in the toe box. I can definitely say from the shoes I tried on that Lake, Shimano and Specialized fit narrow. I ended up buying Northwave Gran Canions and they are working well in coastal BC at keeping my feet warm and (mostly) dry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just ordered a 45 in the northwave artic celsius, which is a 12 US. My foot requires a wide toe box, but the celsius was on sale and I really need to replace my 12 yr old spec sports 13's which are a little large, but work ok with my funky feet. I am sending the celisus back, way to tight. The bottom of the shoe actually measures 1" less than the size 12 dress shoe that I wear to work. Having read that the toe box would be wide, I was surprised and disappointed when I slipped into this shoe, it was like stepping into a python. They wont be able to send a larger one until mid Jan. I hope it works as I really how the shoe is made. Size up for this one.

trail projectile
    45NRTH Wulvhammer boots

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My foot needs a wide toebox. The 5.10 karver, freerider, and impact are all on the same shoe last. I wear the karver and its pretty good. You can call and ask 5.10 which shoes are on that shoe last.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I owned a pair of normal width Lake MXZ301s. I started having foot pain issues and found out I needed a 3 or 4E width. I sold the 301s and bought a wide Lake MXZ 302. They are 2E, yet they have been great. Lake has released the new MXZ 303.

urmb
    “How inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.”
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

Members who have read this thread: 0