Winter shoes...What'cha using?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Winter shoes...What'cha using?

I've always thought about getting a pair of winter shoes to do double duty as a trail riding and commuting shoe, but have always cringed at the prices. The one shoe that interests me the most, is the Shimano MW80, and it looks pretty good too. The others are either way to spendy (not that the MW80 isn't) or don't appeal to me. I know it's kind of relative, but are winter shoes overkill for Oregon, specifically the Portland area?

I've also thought about trying a pair of neoprene socks before shelling out the cash for a pair of shoes.

Making fat cool since '71
    I have and love my Lake 302's. Truly waterproof and plenty warm for OR. I tend to just use a lightweight wool sock with them. Great traction as well. The BOA system is nice/easy.d

The downsides I've had: the one BOA knob broke (Lake had a new and updated set at my house within three biz days) and one heal-cup came unstitched after I repeatedly scraped it against my crank arm (Lake offered to fix it for free; a local cobbler fixed (preventative on one) them for $10). I'm not a fan of having to pay a guy to "fix" $250 shoes, but given how rough I am on things and just exactly how muddy/wet our winters are...Overall I'm happy with them.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Are the Lake's bulky?

please, just ride
    Specialized Defrosters. Relatively cheap, plenty warm for C.O. winters. Two seasons on them so far. Pretty happy. Velcro tab on top came unstitched so durability may be an issue long term.

mtbr member
    On a related note - is there a shoe cover (booty) that doesn't fall apart on the bottom?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have the Specialized Defrosters also and LOVE em'! I use them for trail work when its cold or wet also and will this weekend on Mt. Ashland and there's snow! I can get some on close out. shoot me and e mail at [email protected] and I will work it out for ya!

Bulky? Not really, but they look big, but then I have a 14 so almost every shoe looks big. They don't look as "sleek" as the Pearl Izumi's...on that note, some riding buddies have the newer P.I.s and like them.

Brock...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I too am using the Specialized Defrosters, and love them. If you fit/like the Specialized shoes, then I wouldn't even bother looking at anything else. A lot of it to me comes down to what shoes fit you well. As Brock mentioned and many others, people also seem to like the Lake's a lot. Specialized shoes fit me really well, and most others don't, so all my cycling shoes are Specialized, pretty much regardless of whether there is a "better" shoe made by someone else.

Anyway, I've had the Defrosters in 20 degree temps, and been fine (with a nice wool sock underneath, although I usually don't go all that thick), and my feet get cold easily as compared to other people. I've also worn the shoes in temps as warm as into the 60's and been ok (they did get warm, but not unbearable). I like that aspect because it means if I think I might need them, I'll just wear them, and then not worry/be screwed if I chose not to and did wind up needing them (did that make sense?!) Finally, they are well priced.

I'm considering getting a pair for the road this winter as well. Normally I just wear booties over my regular road shoes, but it'd be nice to simply slap the shoe on and go.

Wow...AngularHead! You kept it to under 700 words, nice.

Brock...

PS: I kid...I kid...

DOD Member
    Touche' Brock!

I am riding the Pearli's. I have the awkward stance on the pedals that make my instep rub the crank and even the chain stay. Keeps them polished shiney and bright. As a result, I had a cobbler stitch and glue a leather reinforcement on the instep of both shoes. Other than that, they are comfortable on a wide range of temps. 20's to 50's and they are "sleek" and waterproof goretex. I commute on them when it is really wet/cold, but also use booties for the cold mornings, and then bag the booties for the ride home.
    MaxSteel

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Wow...AngularHead! You kept it to under 700 words, nice.

Brock...

PS: I kid...I kid...
    There are advantages to Twitter ya know...

mtbr member
    I've been happy with the Lake boots. Warm and easy, not high-performance though.

mtbr member
    The Lake's seem to get recommended a lot, so I'll check them out. Didn't know Specialized made them, so it looks like I'll need to find a pair and hit wbmtb up.

The biggest pain is finding a shop that actually carries winter shoes, in any brand, let alone a shop that carries multiple brands.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I've always thought about getting a pair of winter shoes to do double duty as a trail riding and commuting shoe, but have always cringed at the prices. The one shoe that interests me the most, is the Shimano MW80, and it looks pretty good too. The others are either way to spendy (not that the MW80 isn't) or don't appeal to me. I know it's kind of relative, but are winter shoes overkill for Oregon, specifically the Portland area?

I've also thought about trying a pair of neoprene socks before shelling out the cash for a pair of shoes.
    I have the Lake 140 3-season shoe. Much less bulky and lighter than the 302. Not as warm but works just fine so far.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by swoodbrn
    On a related note - is there a shoe cover (booty) that doesn't fall apart on the bottom?
    No.
    mtbtires.com

highly visible
    I agree with Shiggy - all booties I've tried will wear out on the bottom within a season and a half or so. Also, most current models I've seen are rear-entry and a huge PITA to get on and off. I've got some older ones with a velcro flap across the top. Not quite as weather proof, but vastly more user friendly. No matter, though, because winter shoes/booties beat booties hands (?) down.

I have the Lake boots, the old MXZ300 model. I've had mine a few years now, and have had to have the uppers re-stitched once, but they keep on going. Like any boot with leather uppers I do try to Sno-Seal them annually to keep them waterproof. They are bulky and heavy, but they do keep your feet dry and they do provide a few degrees of insulation. I use them regularly for winter mountain biking.

I also have the Shimano boots (can't remember the model). MUCH cheaper than the Lakes ($150-ish at Bike Gallery a couple years ago). Also much lighter and stiffer, easier to get on and off than the Lakes, and still fully waterproof (including the soles -- BEWARE some "winter" cycling footwear will still leak through the cleat area if you don't seal up with caulk). The Shimanos have NO insulation though, and keep my feet warmer than regular cycling shoes only by virtue of keeping out the wind and water. The cuff is much lower than the Lakes, which makes them great for commuting but not as great for riding in slush and snow. I use the Shimanos regularly for commuting, but switch to the Lakes if the temps drop to the mid 20s and/or for mud or snow.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I have the Lake 140 3-season shoe. Much less bulky and lighter than the 302. Not as warm but works just fine so far.
    Ah, I think this is closer to what I'm looking for. Now just need to find them in stock somewhere.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I have the Answer Kashmirs. They are a bit less expensive than the other brands and have done the job for me.

http://www.airbomb.com/itemdesc.asp?...69&eq=&Tp=&Av=

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6...5363-1,00.html

mtbr member
    +1 for the Lake MXZ302 Winter boots. This is my second season using these boots and my feet thank me while riding in weather 45 degrees and below. In dry conditions 50 degrees and above the boots get to be too warm.

Lakes are top quality boots, but like Imaklyde I also had problems with the BOA tensioner. I went through my local Lake dealer to replace the broken part and Lake sent me an updated BOA tensioner (at no cost) and the problem seems to be resolved. Due to my size 15 (49 EUR) shoe my winter boot choices are more limited than some, but I do like these boots and I look to use them for years to come. My 0.02$

BFE

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    +1 for the Lake MXZ302 Winter boots. This is my second...blah blah blah...
    Don't know what you said; totally distracted by avatar...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Don't know what you said; totally distracted by avatar...
    Good thing I have a point and shoot camera, or I would have never been able to capture that shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Good thing I have a point and shoot camera, or I would have never been able to capture that shot.
    What the hell were you taking pictures for?

mtbr member
    Yep, booties suck. Waterproof socks are pretty sweet though. I have wanted proper winter shoes for at least 12 years. The waterproof shocks work just well enough that I haven't been able to justify them. It's worth considering if you are on a budget.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    What the hell were you taking pictures for?

Evidence. I assure you, I'm no Brad Pitt. Who's gonna believe this ugly mug?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

just used my mw80's for the first time,it was raining lightly,muddy and some puddles....my feet were soaked after 15min.of riding.cant comment on the warmth,it was 50degrees out.but am not happy with the shoes.Advertised to keep the water out.
    scs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scsamoyan
    just used my mw80's for the first time,it was raining lightly,muddy and some puddles....my feet were soaked after 15min.of riding.cant comment on the warmth,it was 50degrees out.but am not happy with the shoes.Advertised to keep the water out.
    I would suspect the water is leaking through the bottom where the cleats mount, you may need to seal it up, at least I have read this about other shoes.

Kinda sucks that you need to do this on expensive shoes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would suspect the water is leaking through the bottom where the cleats mount, you may need to seal it up, at least I have read this about other shoes..

Kinda sucks that you need to do this on expensive shoes.
    it has a goretex liner thru-out the shoe,it shouldn't leak any wear.Iam really pissed....should have bought the lake's.
    scs

I do not count on any riding shoe keeping my feet totally dry. Even if the shoe is "water proof" the water can run down your leg into the shoe. A gaiter can help there.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Showers Pass makes a Waterproof nylon shoe cover.

mtbr member
    Lakes - model # ??
    Winter boot, broke a BOA when someone stepped on my foot and had them replaced with laces. They hadn't been that user friendly anyway as I had had to rewind the tensioner already.. Love the shoe overall. Closest thing to waterproof out there as far as I know.Warm too for a guy with cold feet.

Keep Singletrack Single
    it has a goretex liner thru-out the shoe,it shouldn't leak any wear.Iam really pissed....should have bought the lake's.
    I have personally had a superb experience with my MW 80's. I have not tested them in a puddle of water. However, I have ridden in the rain, snow, & mud without issues. I would never expect a shoe to be totally waterproof. The only way that works is if they are built like a snow boot.

I would recommend the MW 80's.
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

The Gore-tex will not be on the bottom of the shoe. Do check the cleat plate area. It is a VERY common leak point. Shimano even provides a sticker for this http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830672653.pdf
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Lakes....

Hate Costs Money

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I have been playing around with the Defrosters. Thoughts here.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    5.10 impact lows with some wooly socks

Ok I guess that doesn't help you are you're looking for clipless, but for what it's worth they keep my toes nice and toasty!
    It's a good time for good times

mtbr member
    May 2009

Shimano MW80

Just bought the Shimano MW80 winter shoes/boots. Once they arrive I will give you my input on them. After doing much a lot of searches on google, I made my mind up to go with them. I, was able to also get them for 180.00 shipped. Most other places want full retail if they even have your size. Buying tip: Type what you are looking for on google, when it comes up click shopping and it will give you who has it the cheapest.

Again I, will give feedback later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3
    I have personally had a superb experience with my MW 80's. I have not tested them in a puddle of water. However, I have ridden in the rain, snow, & mud without issues. I would never expect a shoe to be totally waterproof. The only way that works is if they are built like a snow boot.

I would recommend the MW 80's.
    i contacted goretex about my shoe,they wanted to see them,after they did some test on them they said the shoe was put together wrong,they warrantied them,told me to pick out any shoe i wanted as long as it had goretex in them,i went with Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX Winter Riding Shoes,suppose to be sweet.but if your shoes leak excessively like mine did dont let shimano tell you its impossible to leak that bad.
    scs

mtbr member
    i contacted goretex about my shoe,they wanted to see them,after they did some test on them they said the shoe was put together wrong,they warrantied them,told me to pick out any shoe i wanted as long as it had goretex in them,i went with Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX Winter Riding Shoes,suppose to be sweet.but if your shoes leak excessively like mine did dont let shimano tell you its impossible to leak that bad.
    Wow...Goretex gave you warranty on a Shimano shoe? That's pretty good service.

highly visible
    I'm pretty sure my Shimano boots are the MW80s (or last year's equivalent). While I'm thrilled with them for commuting in wet weather, I'll adjust my previous comment to say that if they are (as claimed) insulated, it ain't much. On a 1/2 hour+ ride my feet usually get cold if the temp drops much below 30.

When it gets cold like this week, I switch to the Lakes. With a fairly heavy wool sock inside, my toes were reasonably warm (though not toasty) on Wednesday's 12 degree ride. I bought mine one size larger than normal though, so I've got room for extra socks that should make them good down to nearly 0 degrees. I would NOT want to ride in single digits with the Shimanos.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

can't get here by wishin

not so bad...

i've had my mw 80's for over a month now... with this cold snap we just had... my feet got cold after about 45 minutes.. but not unbearable... i find if i just use one pair of think wool socks with them that i can ride comfortably in pretty cold weather... like, it was just in the teens on my way to work... i had frost on my beard... but my feet were bearable... for what it's worth... they are a great shoe for nearly about 80 bucks cheaper than the lakes so i went with them and have not regretted it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This is my 4th (possibly 5th) year on my Lakes, I have the road version and they are perfect. Definitely better than using a cover on your regular shoe. I bought 1/2 size larger than my normal shoe and use Smartwool ski/snowboard socks, it is a great setup. I have never been excited by Lake shoes with the exception of the winter boots, and they rule! FWIW I have never had any issues with the BOA

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink
    This is my 4th (possibly 5th) year on my Lakes, I have the road version and they are perfect. Definitely better than using a cover on your regular shoe. I bought 1/2 size larger than my normal shoe and use Smartwool ski/snowboard socks, it is a great setup. I have never been excited by Lake shoes with the exception of the winter boots, and they rule! FWIW I have never had any issues with the BOA
    which lake do u have?
    scs

Dec 2007

winter shoe

Second season using Lake's. It was tough to plunk down $250 bucks of whatever it was, but these things will last hopefully 10 years or more.
    Warm, dry and really comfortable.
    Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok, after a long cold winter I must say that the Shimano MW80 winter shoes have done everything I could have hope for in a winter shoe. These shoes never let my feet get cold, wet, or show any signs of disconfort. I, would strongly incourage anyone to get these shoes, you won't be disapointed. Our winter this past year was the worse in twenty years and these shoes did GREAT!

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by KFanney
    Ok, after a long cold winter I must say that the Shimano MW80 winter shoes have done everything I could have hope for in a winter shoe. These shoes never let my feet get cold, wet, or show any signs of disconfort. I, would strongly incourage anyone to get these shoes, you won't be disapointed. Our winter this past year was the worse in twenty years and these shoes did GREAT!
    I ended up adding some silicone around the cleats. Extra insurance for really wet days. Worked well all winter. I would recommend the MW 80's.
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Members who have read this thread: 0