Winter Shoes - what works- Mtbr.com
    GoCyco
    Nov 2005

Winter Shoes - what works

What are your experiences with winter riding and shoe options?
    I sometimes where my Sidi with neoprene booties or if it's not too cold, wind covers. I also have a pair of Answer winter shoes. I don't like wearing the Answers shoes because they don't fit well (way too wide) and I end up with the velcro straps pulled to the max. They aren't very stiff either. They feel "sloppy", but they are pretty warm.

So I'm looking alternatives, like Sidi winter shoes, or the Northwave Celsius J GTX Cycling Boots. Looking to hear about experiences with these 2 shoes, or other options.

Also, the Northwave shoe size chart shows a US 8.5 = Euro 41,
    whereas a Sidi US 8.5 = Euro 42.

So if I wear a Sidi 42, would that equal a Northwave 41???

And would a half or full size up be recommended for heavier socks?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Been riding Lakes for about 6yrs. They've treated me very well.

Pearl also has a new winter boot. Not the most attractive IMOP but they've been getting good reviews on their shoes over the past few yrs. Worth a look.

Sizing to me seem to be hit or miss in a lot of winter shoes. Best try before you buy or cleat up. Sizing up, half or whole is not a bad idea pending your preference/location.
    I figure the odds be fifty-fifty.

Probably drunk right now

My winter shoes...

Are the same as my summer shoes. I'll put duct tape (on the inside of the shoe) over the vents when it's really cold. I'll add at least one more sock layer (wool) and go ride.

When I lived in MN, I would add vasoline to my toes before riding. Eventually it would warm up to my body temp and insulate my toes.

Apr 2004
    What's wrong with the neoprene booties? Mine keep the toes toasty.

mtbr member

For the cold in Mountain Top.....

Well I can't say I have tried either shoe you reference but my set up works like this:

Cold ALert 5: Wool Socks
    Cold Alert 4: 1/2 size larger shoes & Thicker wool socks
    Cold Alert 3: Add 2 ziploc baggies, one on each foot
    Cold ALert 2: Add Duct Tape over vents
    Cold Alert 1: Add heat packs(the ones with one sticky surface), I put on top of my toes.

Gives me lots of range.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I use a size larger shoe with wool socks for the winter. You just will have to try on the available size options with the socks you want to use. I also use the full neoprene booty from Performance. It's miserable to have cold/wet feet so I have started to wear the booties all the time when the weather is below 45 degrees or if there is a chance my feet will get soaked.

{Believeland}
    i just tie on my irish setter hunting boots, 800 gram thinsulate, gortex, 100% waterproof and windproof, with a pair of wool socks, and i am good to go
    ride fast.... live slow

Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XCkiller
    i just tie on my irish setter hunting boots, 800 gram thinsulate, gortex, 100% waterproof and windproof, with a pair of wool socks, and i am good to go
    Second on the insulated boots. I opt for flat pedals in the winter, I would rather have warm feet than be clipped in.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

Nothing wrong with neoprene boots

Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    What's wrong with the neoprene booties? Mine keep the toes toasty.
    Funny story -
    I left mine out in the car the other day and they were practically frozen. I thought I'd heat them up real quick in the microwave right before heading out on a ride. Along the lines of microwaving pizzas, I put the boots in a paper grocery bag (so the zippers weren't exposed), set it for 1 minute and went to fill my camelback. I came back into the kitchen and there was a little smoke. I opened the microwave door and saw the bag in flames! Big flames! I knocked it to the tile floor put the fire out. Now I have a few holes and melted neoprene around the zipper area (and a messed up microwave - coated with a black film). Booties are still funtional but one zipper is toast (literally).

Anyway, thanks to all for their comments and recommendations.
    Personally, when it's really cold I prefer to ski! But if it's cold and there's no snow, mtn biking sure beat watching TV.

Dr Gadget is IN

Micro-Note

I once put a glass jar - with metallic foil accents on the label - in to nuke. When I pressed the start button, I heard a hissing/sizzling noise. When I looked in, little lightning bolts (arcs &sparks!) were all over the foil - zapping back and forth. Less than 5 seconds, and the label was Smokin'!

No metal of any kind in the microwave. YMWNV
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

pronounced may-duh
    I've heard the Lake shoes are the standard for winter specific shoes. The newer models have had some quality issues.

I just got a pair of the new winter shoes from pearl izumi from Brandcycles.com I recieved my order yesterday and I havent had a chnace to ride with them but the fit well and look like they will keep me from freezing feet.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aizu1
    Now I have a few holes and melted neoprene around the zipper area (and a messed up microwave - coated with a black film). Booties are still funtional but one zipper is toast (literally).
    Note to self, keep booties out of microwave.

Members who have read this thread: 0