winter shoes first ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

winter shoes first ride

Just finished my first ride wearing my new shimano mw80 winter shoes. WOW! They worked great. 2 hr ride, trail lined with wetness(ferns, grass, brush) and even a stream crossing. Feet stayed dry and warm.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    nice, thanks for the heads up. I'm in the market after coming home from yet another ride with frozen toes. I'm searching for solutions, but $200 is a bit out of my price range.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    nice, thanks for the heads up. I'm in the market after coming home from yet another ride with frozen toes. I'm searching for solutions, but $200 is a bit out of my price range.
    Unfortunately, the manufacturers seem to be quite proud ($$$) of their winter shoes.

All I can say is..."The bitterness of frozen toes remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

Gnar
    I got my Shimano mw80's last year and they are awesome for wet, cold winter rides. Went for a ride today and it was cold and half way through it started raining. Was having a great time and when I got back to my car I changed out of my wet jersey and shorts, but kept my socks on because they were still dry! (the only thing that was dry!) The shoes are a little expensive, but are a quality product and should last many years.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

All I can say is..."The bitterness of frozen toes remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."
    Ha. Yes indeed. Well done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Cold feet ruin a good ride

Get some. They are expensive but so is your bike. Take care of the motor and ride more often in comfort. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    wait wait wait ... "Wet"? Waterproof is great...whaddabout COLD? Like, in the teens/20's F for cold. I have been ogling the Northwave Arctic Celsius (can't find my size or would have bought already). Now down to Lake, $IDI, Pearl...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BilleKlub View Post
    wait wait wait ... "Wet"? Waterproof is great...whaddabout COLD? Like, in the teens/20's F for cold. I have been ogling the Northwave Arctic Celsius (can't find my size or would have bought already). Now down to Lake, $IDI, Pearl...
    Got my MW80's a few months ago and just started using. I've been using them in the high teens/20s F and my feet were fine. I only had PI wool socks. I live in the Chicago area.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

DynoDon
    Cold Feet? Wet Feet? what are those, I live in Michigan, I use my Specialized Defrosters on trail/road, it was in the mid 20's yesterday on the Abomidable Snowman trail ride, never thought about my feet, I've been through water, rain, snow, mud, I wear wool socks, I ride at least 2 hour on road and trail, these are high enough that tights go over the tops to make a seal around the ankles, Defrosters work for me.
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Defroster MTB
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

One Gear
    Winter shoes should last longer than standard shoes since the season is shorter. I've had my MW80s for 4 years and they still look new. My feet don't get cold until the temp is down around 5deg F. There are only 1 or 2 days like that so I don't worry. I would buy them a half size larger next time to allow thicker socks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ill have to look into some warmer shoes. I don't mind spending $200 on shoes. Ive had my sidi dragons since 2004 and granted they show their age they still have plenty of life left.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Winter Footwear Upgrade

The last time I came home from a ride with toes a ghastly purplish red hue I swore I would do something/anything. Online Shop/Read/Dither wasn't doing anything to warm my feet. "Winter" hasn't really arrived here in it's usual fashion: Temps in the upper 20's F to 30's F where we are usually shoveling inches and suffer single digits Fahrenheit. Cold toes are told coes...so. Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK has Northwave Artic Celsius (not "ArCtic") for less than any of the places in the USA and, (crucial point here) they had my size. I wear a 9.5 to 10 shoe USA size and ordered the 43. They showed up in about a week, fit great and today, in the 20's, kept my feet warm(er) for an hour plus. I'll go a longer route tomorrow or Christmas but so far, they are awesome. The $200+ was money well-spent cuz I couldn't keep riding w/o them.

Kudos to Chain Reaction and Northwave.

WheelDancer
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET View Post
    Winter shoes should last longer than standard shoes since the season is shorter...
    Depends on where you live. Here in MN I often use my winter boots from October to April. My Lakes have held up pretty well but aren't as warm as the Northwave Arctic Celsius boots I picked up this year. The Lakes required heater packs below 20 degrees (f) and the Northwave's have kept my feet toasty down to 3 degrees (f) with only a thin pair of socks and poly liners. I suspect it's the GorTex that is keeping the wind out.
    Just another cyclist dancing on the pedals.
    http://wheeldancer.blogspot.com/

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by BilleKlub View Post
    The last time I came home from a ride with toes a ghastly purplish red hue I swore I would do something/anything. Online Shop/Read/Dither wasn't doing anything to warm my feet. "Winter" hasn't really arrived here in it's usual fashion: Temps in the upper 20's F to 30's F where we are usually shoveling inches and suffer single digits Fahrenheit. Cold toes are told coes...so. Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK has Northwave Artic Celsius (not "ArCtic") for less than any of the places in the USA and, (crucial point here) they had my size. I wear a 9.5 to 10 shoe USA size and ordered the 43. They showed up in about a week, fit great and today, in the 20's, kept my feet warm(er) for an hour plus. I'll go a longer route tomorrow or Christmas but so far, they are awesome. The $200+ was money well-spent cuz I couldn't keep riding w/o them.

Kudos to Chain Reaction and Northwave.
    Chain Reaction has a good selection of winter shoes for exceptional prices. I was impressed while I was browsing yesterday.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Are the Shimano MW80's suitable for platform pedals -- or only for clipless pedals?

What does a size 10 and 10.5 US translate to in the 4x range?

Gnar
    The are for clipless only. 10 and 10.5 is 44 and 45.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Holloman View Post
    Are the Shimano MW80's suitable for platform pedals -- or only for clipless pedals?

What does a size 10 and 10.5 US translate to in the 4x range?
    They are not suitable for platform pedals due to the lack of rubber tread under the ball of the foot. There is a fair amount of hard plastic to accommodate a cleat.

A 10 to 10.5 would translate to a 45 or 46 if you want extra room for extra socks.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have Lakes (around 4 years old) and they are good down to about 35 degrees. I wear thick wool socks with them. It was around 30 degrees this morning and my feet were fine for a 1 hour ride, but I'm not sure if they would have lasted 2 or more hours at that temp. If you use foot warmers, you can extend the temperature range down by a fair amount.

Winter riding shoes are great. My Lake's are about as warm as neoprene booties, but I shredded the bottom of the booties in one season.

mtbr member
    Are these the MW80s you guys have?

I commute with some Shimano mtb shoes about 4 days a week and just hate the double wool socks and the neoprene overbooties!!!!

Are they worth the $200?

The cleats look a tad different that on most mtb Shimano shoes as well.

Are you guys buying them with room for double socks or a tighter fit?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdunc
    Are these the MW80s you guys have?
    There is only one Shimano MW80. It is the one you included the image for. There is also a Shimano MW81 which looks very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post
    The cleats look a tad different that on most mtb Shimano shoes as well.
    I'm not sure what you mean about cleats, as cleats come with pedals, not shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdunc
    Are you guys buying them with room for double socks or a tighter fit?
    If I have room for one pair of thick wool socks, I'm happy. This way the shoe is not too loose when you use a thinner sock, as the temperature gets warmer, but conditions stay wet.

mtbr member

MW81s

First ride yesterday with 44s (went up one size)... Temps 35-37, no wind or rain. Tempo road ride (singletrack is thawed/muddy) for almost two hours. Warm feet! Past setup in those conditions would have had cold toes after an hour... Need to experiment with sock choice and get some frozen dirt rides in before I declare them the best thing ever

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I just couldn't justify all out winter shoes. Just not worth the excessive $$$ over a regular shoe and they wont get used nearly as much for me.

I found a good "all weather" shoe to be effective and cheaper. Basically a mtn bike sandal wrapped around a wet suit bootie. Wind and water proof but not insulated. Got them a 1/2 size large for thicker socks. Work fine for me. NEVER would I say they are better than a winter shoe but they keep my toes dry and reasonably warm, can be used in the fall spring also without over heating. I've found that insulation is less important than wind/water proof, well, to a point. Rode at 28 the other day without issue using an EMS heavy hiking sock inside. I'll never go back to booties over a regular shoe.. too much a pain in the butt.

these Shimmy shoes these guys are talking about do seem nice and if I rode much more in the winter I'd probably get them myself.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Update on my MW81s... did a weekend night ride with temp holding at 25F and feet were great door to door (3 hours outdoors).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    30 minute commute this morning at -27 C warm in MW81...

I have ridden the older model MW80 down to -35 for about 45 minutes...

Warm and dry, only way to go.