Winter Shoes??? Any recommendations???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Winter Shoes??? Any recommendations???

I need to get some winter shoes. I don't want to waste time or money on the wrong shoes. Wearing SiDi Dom 4s now in Mega width. My feet get cold easily. I can avoid stream crossings, so they won't have to be waterproof(but no clipless bike shoe can really be waterproof). I plan on wearing only one pair of smart-wool socks(why wear 2 or 3 layers of socks or neoprene socks in "winter" shoes???). I read the reviews on the Sidi and Lake winter shoes here on MTBR.com. Any suggestions? Recommendations?
    Sir Dabs-alot

Feb 2004
    I am happy with my Lake shoes. During the coldest conditions I do wear 2 pair of socks, one pair of regular riding socks and a pair of wool riding socks, the shoes are warm but do have their limits in extreme cold. I bought one size larger than normal to allow for the extra thickness of the socks.

Uber V Cripp
    Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    I am happy with my Lake shoes. During the coldest conditions I do wear 2 pair of socks, one pair of regular riding socks and a pair of wool riding socks, the shoes are warm but do have their limits in extreme cold. I bought one size larger than normal to allow for the extra thickness of the socks.
    Plus they are really comfortable....

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    Ditto to everything minkhiller said.

I rode today for 3 hours in 15 degree temps and although my toes were cold for the last hour, I was by no means uncomfortable. I wore 1 pair of smartwool hikers with a regular pair of summer riding socks underneath. If it dips into the single digits, I add chemical toe warmers.

I wonder why?

... and if we just ... Lakes here too....

Just bought a pair of Lakes MXZ 300's this year and they have been great. I got them a size (43) larger than my Specialized Comp's (42) and found them still a bit tight in the toe box.

To increase the toe box area, I put the insoles from both shoes into one shoe and stretched the toe box with my wife’s wooden shoe stretcher. This increased both the width and height of the toe box. I left the stretcher in the shoe over night then repeated with the other shoe. They now have plenty of room in the toe box. Any shoe repair place could do this also and it shouldn’t be too costly.

I tried stretching them with only one insole and it did increase the width, however, I found that they were still a bit tight over-top the toes.

I never use more than one pair of Wigwam wool socks. Below -5 degrees C, I add chemical toe warmers and have ridden in -27 degrees C for 2.5 hours with no problems. My feet and toes were warm the whole ride. All in all great shoes, well worth the $.

I know that others have recommended getting them still one size larger than I did and using two pairs of socks. I tried a pair of 44’s and I found that the shoe didn’t fit as well and it was still tight over-top my toes. From my many years experience in the mountains and extreme cold I have found that the key to warm feet and toes is maintaining circulation and keeping the feet dry. In most instances, the benefits of two pairs of socks are mitigated by the tighter lacing required to keep the feet from moving around inside the shoe, hence restricting circulation. Therefore, thin socks and properly fit footwear are warmer. For example, I go barefoot in my ski boots, in all temperatures, and never have cold feet. The boots are fit properly and the buckles over the arch are simply closed to keep the snow out, not to restrict the foot’s movement. I should also mention that my feet are very susceptible to the cold after numerous bouts of frostbite (experienced prior to employing the above).

Happy trails.

www.derbyrims.com

Neoprene covers

Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    I need to get some winter shoes. I don't want to waste time or money on the wrong shoes. Wearing SiDi Dom 4s now in Mega width. My feet get cold easily. I can avoid stream crossings, so they won't have to be waterproof(but no clipless bike shoe can really be waterproof). I plan on wearing only one pair of smart-wool socks(why wear 2 or 3 layers of socks or neoprene socks in "winter" shoes???). I read the reviews on the Sidi and Lake winter shoes here on MTBR.com. Any suggestions? Recommendations?
    Performance has some neoprene bootees that fit over regular bike shoes. They are so warm my feet sweat with them on the coldest rainy days. These keep water out on rainy days quite well even when crossing streams. They are about $20.

Performance also has some rubber wind stoppers that stretch over the toe which really help for more intermediate cold days.

No need for special socks for either shoe cover. And they both keep shoes clean of mud very well.

- ray

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Performance also has some rubber wind stoppers that stretch over the toe which really help for more intermediate cold days.- ray
    Those aren't designed for mtb shoes. I tried the Pearl Izumi Caleintoes and the largest size the shop had (XL) wouldn't even come close to fitting over my mtb shoes because of the thick tread. Maybe the performance house brand could fit but I wouldn't order unless I knew for sure.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

PI Amfib Booties

I have no problem getting my L Pearl Izumi booties over a size 46 MTB shoe.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Sidi Storm

I have ridden my original Sidi Storms in sub zero weather with a pair of normal athletic socks and no booties. They are very wind resistant but the low temp restricted my ride to about an hour.

I perfer the fit of the current Storm II though. Much more adjustable.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    I have the Lake winter shoes and like everyone above says, they have their limitations. I was out Christmas Eve in about 0 degree F and my toes got cold after about 1.5 hrs. I was wearing a regular pair of cycling socks with a pair of wool boot socks and also a chemical heat thingy inside. Make sure you get them at LEAST 1 size larger to allow for thick sock(s) for extreme cold.

I really think the warmest setup I had was before I bought the Lake shoes....My old insulated hiking/work boots and swap out clipless for platform pedals.

Get out of town!
    You can always put on flat pedals during the winter and wear regular shoes or boots...I wear some intense (forget what they are called) shoes that have the sticky rubber soles. This works as good as anything for dealing with winter riding conditions. If it is just cold bothering you and not mud or anything else you may want to try smart wool socks or something- those toe warmers work great too. Anyway, cheap flat pedals are a lot less expensive than winter shoes.