Winter shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Winter shoes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Winter shoes

Any recommendation for a pair of winter shoes.. I have two great pairs of SPD shoes for normal weather but come winter, my feet get really cold, really quickly.. so if you know of brand and a model of a pair of shoes that are reasonably weather proof (snow and rain wise) and help keep the heat in, I would like to hear your suggestions.. cheers..

Just Ride!
    What kind of temps are you riding in and do you use merino wool socks or cotton?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Bontrager OMW...not inexpensive but I can't recommend them more highly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi.. my biggest problem is that being West Indian, we don't do cold very well, so at about 10*c I feel really cold and at 5*c I am freezing, so by time we hit the minus temps, I am in trouble. I do some snow trekking in places like Iceland, Greenland and in Mongolia and like taking my bike with me sometimes, so I have some good quality Merino wool socks from those adventures.. but when trekking on foot, I have some really good boots.. but SPD's on a bike.. now that is a different matter..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just had a look at them... now we are talking... will see who is selling them in my area... thanks for that one.. cheers.. what they like on size.. are they typically undersized so you need to go up one full size or not.. real pain buying on line with shoes as it cost a small fortune to keep sending things back...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Okay.. found a set in the UK going for an amazing 100.. and in a size that should be okay for me.. seems like they couldn't shift these as most of their other sizes are priced at 219.. so this seems like a bargain.. will see when they arrive but thanks for the tip they look like they will really help me..

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Looks like you already found them and at a great price! I was going to say that at least for me they are pretty true to size so hopefully that will be the same for you. They have been great in temps down in the single digits Fahrenheit and are surprising good to walk in if you have to hike a bike. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ordered EU46, though I normally way EU44 but EU45 for normal bike shoes.. but the EU46 were a bit bigger but I can live with this as I can get them on and off easily with thick socks on.. I cpuld have got away with EU45 but toe width is usually what lets me down.. anyway tried them out this morning.. temp was 1*c down by the river and I was out for about an hour.. they are much better than anything that I have had before.. I will always be a challenge in the cold department and suspect that when we get to say -5*c to around -10*c they won't be perfect but they will be way better than what I had.

As the shoes are quite chunky in the sole they have raised my leg's stride pattern so I had to adjust my seat slightly but that is no big deal..

I was surprised at the massive price difference and markup.. The same shop was selling different sizes at 120 more.. so if they sold my pair at 100 and made a profit, the markup is just madness..