Winter riding shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Winter riding shoes

So it's getting to be that time of year again. For the past couple of years, I've wanted to get winter riding boots (SPD compatible), but I've failed to find an acceptable intersection of fit and price. I've been getting by with the neoprene shoe covers and my normal shoes in temps down to the teens. By getting by, I guess I mean that I've become tolerant of numb toes, and haven't had to have any digits cut off yet...
    I generally struggle with sizing on cycling shoes (13-1/2 to 14 in reg shoes, 48-50+ euro)..
    So what are you guys liking that doesn't cost a million $ (I'd like to stay in the $200 range if possible)

Thanks

EAT MORE GRIME
    I have some lakes they are OK, but beat down, so I need a new set

this year I got specialized defrosters, they are $200 and fit great, no need to oversize by 1 eu measure (wear 42, get 42)

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/de...shoes/p/130432

obviously if you plan on iditabike or sub zero F and many hours, get something warmer, but for 'normal' after work rides in snow, 20-30deg F around 2-2.5 hours in snow, these are fine with a wool sock (Maine) if really cold I'll tape a handwarmer to the top of my toes for extra oomph.

besides these are only $200 where most MTB winter boots are 300+ and I only use specialized on my feets anyway, they 'fit' my foot very well (the only thing I will buy from specialized...the footwear)

also
    there are ways to boost any winter shoe by getting different insoles, like aerogel insoles (my specialied don't need them from what I can tell so far, but I haven't been out in sub 20F with them yet)

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-insole.../dp/B01MFA1KFW

https://45nrth.com/blog/post/jaztron...-available-now

if you haven't tried it, a handwarmer or toe warmer taped to the top of the toes will seriously stop the cold for ~3 hours but don't trust this method beyond 3 hours or for serious long hour cold work...if you are doing subzero epics you need the big expensive boots. [or flats and actual survival boots]

YMMV everyones feets vary widely on how frosty they get

oh yeah, another tip. very thin inner silk sock under a wool sock is better than one fat wool sock. thin silk is not bulky but unreal warmth as a first layer. think see-through thin, still pretty damn warm when combined with a defeet wool or similar
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'll check those out. We even have a local spec shop, so I should be able to try them on

mtbr member
    I rode all last winter in snow and weather down to 20 degrees. Finally upgraded from winter "shoe covers" that were a pain to get on and off to Bontrager Old Man Winter Boots.

Feet never got cold. I was able to try them on at local trek dealer to get the right fit. They have a front zipper with 2 hook and loop attachments and a removable inner bootie that is fleece lined and has a thinsulate foot bed.

for me investing in boots was worth the money...

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-shoe/p/12550/

mtbr member
    Regular winter rider since late 80's in New England. Two options that have worked great for me:

1. existing riding shoes (spd) with hand warmer tucked under shoes on top of toes, then shoe covers to knock down any draft. Have also used duct tape vs shoe covers which works fine.

2. switch to flats and wear warm boots.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

Elitest thrill junkie
    The biggest problem is the distance between the ball of your foot and the SPD cleat. The closer it is, the more heat-transfer will happen, that cleat and the pedal it attaches to are a heat-sink. It's not impossible to ride with SPDs in the cold, but it's a lot harder than flat pedals and boots. Some "winter" cycling shoes are simply glorified regular SPD shoes with extended neoprene cuffs and just wind-blocking material instead of mesh. IME, don't go for the minimum you think you can get away with, that's a recipe for cold feet. Go with the max you can afford and get them as big as possible. I know the 49N Wolfhammers come in some pretty large sizes, try to get them at least two euro-sizes bigger, otherwise you'll compress your feet with decent wool socks, which will in turn make your feet cold. There are a few other decent options these days, but in general be very wary about wasting your money on an intermediate solution that won't really work for you. Some people ride in "sprints" where their feet get cold and they try to get back to the car before it's too bad. I like to try and be comfortable, it makes riding dramatically funner IMO. Plus, if something unexpected happens, I'm better prepared.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Picked up a pair of Spec Defrosters. To box is plenty roomy. Haven't had any REALLY cold weather yet (30 deg), but so far, so good.

psycho cyclo addict
    I have a pair of NorthWave boots (nice 'n roomy toe box) that are probably ~6 years old now. I didn't go for the Arctic (warmest ones) and these are good to somewhere in the 20-25 deg. F range.

Had Lake 302's before these... too heavy!
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

EAT MORE GRIME
    same here 30 deg and 3 hour rides, some standing in 3 inches snow, spec defrosters didn't feel one bit of chill...worked great. so wanting 20 deg so I can test that temp
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot