Winter Riding Gloves

Printable View

• 10-29-2009
    GRAVELBIKE
    Winter Riding Gloves
    Looking for recommendations on cold-weather gloves. I've got PI Cyclone and Gavia gloves and they're useless if it's below 40f (or wet). Plus, the fit/padding isn't the most comfortable.
  • 10-29-2009
    cartographer
    PI Amfib gloves have worked well for me down into the teens if I'm generating some heat. I haven't tried too many others. My even-colder-weather option is some lobster mitts.
  • 10-29-2009
    ignazjr
    I wear Amfib gloves thru the coldest of winter night rides and my hands are generally toasty.
  • 10-29-2009
    bad_andy
    nevermind
  • 10-29-2009
    inkpad
    http://www.palmflex.com/product.php?...arison_channel

I have been using these for years, riding regularly in the teens & 20's, they always keep my hands warm & they are cheap! They last about a year with regular use. I grew tired of spending loads of cash trying cycling specific gloves only to have them dissappoint. Then my contractor friend turned me on to these, as he has to work outside, year round, no matter what the temp, & he swears by them. Best thing about these is the dextarity, they are very close to running standard gloves. For the record, I have whimpy hands that get cold easily. :rolleyes:

Majestic 2152TW Bald Eagle Winter Mechanics Gloves- Waterproof
  • 10-29-2009
    bad_andy
    Thx inkpad - gonna get me some of those.
  • 10-29-2009
    GRAVELBIKE
    Damn, those cost 25% of what the AmFibs go for. I'm going to try some.
  • 10-29-2009
    ignazjr
    I like the lifetime warranty that PI offers. I'm going on season 3 on this pair. My last pair lasted me 11 years.
  • 10-29-2009
    Kaj
    I like the Amfib's too. We've also been selling a good bit of the Gore gloves. excellent quality and very warm. Good in the wet of course too. not cheap, about $10 more than the equivalent PI glove, but you get the waterproofness of gore.

http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/S...1208436857364O
  • 10-30-2009
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by inkpad

I have been using these for years, riding regularly in the teens & 20's, they always keep my hands warm & they are cheap! They last about a year with regular use. I grew tired of spending loads of cash trying cycling specific gloves only to have them dissappoint. Then my contractor friend turned me on to these, as he has to work outside, year round, no matter what the temp, & he swears by them. Best thing about these is the dextarity, they are very close to running standard gloves. For the record, I have whimpy hands that get cold easily. :rolleyes:

Those look great!
    Do they sell them anywhere around Denver, or do you mail order them?
  • 10-30-2009
    inkpad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Those look great!
    Do they sell them anywhere around Denver, or do you mail order them?

I would imagine a good lumber store may have them? Have never seen them in Home Depot or Lowes though. I mail ordered mine though. Just make sure they are this model. There is another model that does not have the waterproof lining, just as warm, but not waterproof.
  • 11-01-2009
    Porchsong
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ignazjr
    I like the lifetime warranty that PI offers. I'm going on season 3 on this pair. My last pair lasted me 11 years.

Agreed, I've got a super old pair of PI amphibs - maybe 8 years old? I even wear them snowboarding sometimes! They are just about shot now, but I just can't let them go. Good product. Now I just need to find another pair w/o the gauntlet cuff.

I would buy them again.

Porch
  • 11-10-2009
    GRAVELBIKE
    I picked up a pair of PI Amfibs (which feel mighty toasty), but I'm tempted to give these a try:
    http://www.palmflex.com/product.php?productid=994
  • 11-10-2009
    lidarman
    PI has a lifetime warranty on warm gloves that never wear out? That sucks.

I still have to use the lobsters when it's really bitter cold though....may be obsolete with global warming though.
  • 11-11-2009
    jimmy
    PI vs. PalmFlex
    I am giving up on PI gloves, they fall apart too soon. I am checking out the PalmFlex Winter gloves, the price is right!
  • 12-04-2009
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by inkpad

I found something really similar to these. They are called Western Safety Cold weather waterproof work gloves. I bought a pair for $15 at the Harbor freight in Aurora today. They have a grippy palm, fleecy warm liner, thinsulate 40 g insulation, and they are thin enough to get a good grip.
    I haven't ridden with them yet, but they seem to be just the type of glove I was looking for.
    I don't like the "western safety" lettering on the back, but I don't really care. Here they are:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96606
  • 12-04-2009
    mtg7aa
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy
    I am giving up on PI gloves, they fall apart too soon. I am checking out the PalmFlex Winter gloves, the price is right!

+1, I bought some cold weather PI gloves last year and they pretty much instantly started coming apart at the seams after one very mellow ride. :nono:

One of my riding buddies bought two pairs of the Bald Eagle gloves recommended here- those look like a great way to go.