Winter Riding Gear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Winter Riding Gear

Hi,
    I am looking for a mdi weight jacket or sweatshirt I can wear over a long sleeve or a short sleeve for 40F - 55F riding.

Ive been looking at:

Free Shipping | The North FaceŽ New Men's Kilowatt Jacket

Segnas Advanced Jacket Men - Jackets and Vests - Mammut

Ultimate Nordpfeiler Jacket Men - Jackets and Vests - Mammut

Masao Jacket Men - Jackets and Vests - Mammut

Any other suggestions welcomed!

mtbr member

Winter Riding Gear

Get a cycling specific jacket for a start. There's a lot often on sale. Check out gore. Look on competitive cyclist. But at 55 degrees all I'd need is a thin base layer and regular jersey. At 40 I'd wear a long sleeved base layer with a long sleeved jersey. I wear jackets from 15-35 degrees.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm new to colder weather riding & trying to figure out what to wear ... rode yesterday, around 45-50F. Thin poly/lycra base layer pants, short sleeve shirt & windbreaker was too much. Didn't need jacket, but my feet were cold.

mtbr member
    Merino wool socks and if your shoes aren't bulky some toe covers. I use gore ones. I think they're called toesters. They're like little socks that go on the end of your shoes-and block the wind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ha I was just thinking what to layer up with for tomorrow, high of 18. Bundle up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i never use a jacket unless snow/rain is actually falling, the rest of the time i am better off with layers; long underwear, a sweatshirt

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't know if others have this issue, but I'm a really sweaty person, and any sort of jacket makes me sweat like a pig at a swimming meet regardless of how cold it is outside.

I've found it to be quite comfortable if I wear a thin, long-sleeve poly underliner; a mid-weight, long-sleeve merino wool shirt on top of that, and then a regular long-sleeve riding jersey over the rest. This set up allows for airflow and good freedom-of-movement.

I have some nice warm gloves and my feet don't normally get cold with wool socks. My head never gets cold, but I have a very thin skull cap to wear if I need it.

I find that set up to be nice and comfortable, and able to wick away the small amount of sweat I generate when I'm not too hot and too "air-tight." Of course, if I"m doing a lot of stopping, I can get chilled. But usually when I'm riding in those conditions, the goal is to ride until I'm finished.

I hope you find a combination that works for you. Riding can be lots of fun even when it's cold outside. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I wear a long sleeve tech shirt (dry fit or simliar) under a Voler winter riding jacket that I got through my road race team. Winter tights over bib shorts and neoprene shoe covers. I rode my road bike today in Michigan (feel like temp of 22F), and was completely fine besides cold ears and fingers. If I get a bit too warm, I just zip it down a bit to let some air in, and I'm all set. It's probably the best piece of kit I've bought.

Laramie, Wyoming
    A jacket is fine but it needs venting zippers. If it doesn't have the ability it is possible to have someone put them in for you. I have done this with a Gore jacket that I use. 40-50 should be easy to deal with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wool or poly pro base layer and wool sweater, better breathing and less sweat.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Wool or poly pro base layer and wool sweater, better breathing and less sweat.
    Also less wind resistant if that is a factor.

mtbr member
    I don't think a jacket is worth it for that temp range. A set of arm warmers, a short sleeve layer, and a long sleeve layer will be more than enough to cover a broad range of temps. A set-up like this offers a range of options (long sleeve only, short sleeve + arm warmers, short sleeve + long sleeve, everything all at once) that you can configure as necessary.

I ride in the 40s with a short sleeve shirt and arm warmers. If it's sunny out, I can get away with wearing these down into the mid 30s. That's what works for me, at least.

mtbr member
    Everyone has what they like, but the colder it gets, the less 'cycling-specific' stuff I have on. I ride all the time in my Goretex shell (Arcteryx Alpha SL) and love it. It has a slim cut, so not a lot of flapping, breathes well, has features like pit zips for extra venting, and the hood is designed for helmet use (I've worn it over my helmet several times in a downpour). If it isn't raining, I roll the hood up inside itself and it doesn't get in the way. It is a great jacket for other uses, too, obviously. No insulation at all (which I like), so I can pair it with various base and insulating layers depending on the conditions.

Same with gloves, base layers, insulating layers, rain pants, stuff like that.

But I don't get out the jacket unless it is below 40, or very windy or rainy. In the mid-40's, a good Merino wool long sleeve base layer under a regular riding jersey is good for me.

A thin windproof vest is also a nice item to have. Keeping the wind off my core is key to me staying warm enough in a lot of situations.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Winter Riding Gear

Here's something I just learned the hard way: Don't leave your shoes out in a cold car before a ride; it's like strapping ice cubes to your feet. Doh!

mtbr member
    This is my first winter of riding and I'm trying to piece together a workable biking wardrobe with what I have at hand. So far I've hit on the right layers for various temps, but I can't keep my feet or hands warm. My wife says she can make the neoprene bar mitts that I've seen and read good things about, but I'm probably going to spring for a pair of hiking boots to keep my feet warm.
    We have met the enemy, and it is us. Pogo

Let's fly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    A thin windproof vest is also a nice item to have. Keeping the wind off my core is key to me staying warm enough in a lot of situations.
    If it's really windy, something like Gore Windstopper is great. If precipitating, Pearl Izumi WXB is great material. If not windy and not raining, then breathability is the top priority.

A vest is a GREAT piece of clothing! Especially if vented on the back. I live in Colorado and use a vest 8 or 9 months a year. When zipped, it protects the core; when unzipped, it pretty much disappears. My arms get hot pretty quickly, so I use arm warmers a lot and pull them up/down as desired. I almost never have 2 layers on my arms (i.e. long sleeve jersey and a jacket). If windy, precipitating, and cold, I'll put very light arm warms on under a jacket just to help keep my arms from getting drenched with sweat.

Keeping ears warm is important. I have a couple different weight ear warmers from very light to medium to pretty thick/warm.

My feet are fine in pretty much any temp for 40-50 minutes. Longer rides in cold weather are best with winter-specific shoes like the Northwave Arctics (lots of others as well). Shoes designed to keep warmth in are much more effective than putting covers over shoes that are designed to let warm air out.

It is helpful to ride on flatter terrain in the cold. If you labor up one side of a hill and get sweaty, then coast down the other side, you'll get cold. A steady effort allows you to arrange clothes and zippers to stay comfortable without sweating much.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bnaylorchef View Post
    Hi,
    I am looking for a mdi weight jacket or sweatshirt I can wear over a long sleeve or a short sleeve for 40F - 55F riding.
    Any other suggestions welcomed!
    Not to thread jack; I'm debating starting my own "Extreme cold weather trail riding" thread, where I'll post a listing similar to this one, but more in depth (see specific temp/conditions apparel). But I just saw your post so... What do you think OP?

I ride with: (This is rated to keep me (low body fat) warm at ~-17°F last years uber blizzard snow front! I was the only one out that day, it was amazing! Tires started showing affects from the wind chill!)

EYE PROTECTION: Polycarb lenses or Ski goggles if it's ~Temp ≤19
    Under-wear: thermal top/bottom (non suit),
    Top: Misc brand name high thread merino wool sweater,
    Bottom: NATO military spec pants with RIP-LOCK anti-rip threading (it REALLY does work!)
    Jacket: Northface high compression inner liner from my 3-in-1 arctic shell. (Too scared to risk outer shell in crash!)
    Jacket-Shell: NATO mil-spec top, RIP-LOCK etc.
    Gloves: Leather Craft cold weather work gloves (water proof liner, armored+enhanced palm face grips
    Socks: doubled up synthetic wicking socks (need wool!)
    Boots: Hunter boots; water proof etc.
    Hat/Top: Synthetic wool hunter cap
    Backpack: Mil spec ruck sack (filled with repair tools, WARM liquid, ultra-cold rated extra gloves, extra T-shirt, socks, FOOD, towel, LIGHTER)

*That backpack filled with clothing IS a must I believe in my style/trails bc it's saved me from a broken back/pelvis etc bc I've landed on it + rocks/roots/hard pack VERY HARD. Hard enough where you lay there like "ISHT! Should I try and move my legs be4 I pray they can still move?!" LOL. Wear a padded pack if you ride serious trails/XC.

What I NEED is: some kind of zip-in or stretch-on body suit that not only insulates, but wicks as well. I generate MASSIVE amounts of heat and thus by the time I'm done climbing w/e = stop ride, furiously unzipping and trying to dry sweat bc where I ride = MILES from "help," and it's lethally cold ~single digits to teens. I recently got a GD flat and was 3.x miles from the road in hill country = NO "sneakers" need apply here or you'll lose your toes, seriously. You can DIE from exposure in under 30min if you wreck and get KO'd or can't move enough to generate heat etc. Please, anyone attempting winter riding in the THICK woods; you MUST bring extra emergency warmth supplies or you WILL risk DEATH like I idiotically did, but I had the right gear, just nothing for overnight in case I got really hurt. People do not take these risks serious enough... Cold kills FAST.

Here's a suggestion... I had an almost OWNED wreck a few nights ago; doing horse trail DH and hit a leaf covered mud-pocket = instant stick and BOOM! Luckily my foot dug into the ground, sending my knee into my head tube vs ENDO into TREE! BIG leg BRUISE... LESSON = OMG MY JACKET IS IT RIPPED?! FFFUG?! NOPE Phew! Luckily my multi-$100 NorthFace wasnt ripped up. Ride with a cheapo over-coat PLZ! Nothing like having a "minor" wreck, where the only thing that's hurt is your WALLET bc your $$$ jacket is now ripped up = ride spoiled, you're PISSED and possibly not subject to lethal elements!

Ride smart folks, it's fun!
    Last edited by TitaniumV12; 11-27-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Grammarian Nazi

I like turtles
    40-55 on a mountainbike (in the woods) I am not wearing a jacket. Arm/knee warmers with either reg. bib shorts (warmer temps) or heavier weight bib-knickers (colder temps). I wear a ss base layer at colder temps under my reg. ss jersey and arm warmers. Warmers are really the most functional piece of gear you can own. For a jacket, I have a convertible (sleeves come off) for a vest. Vests are a great piece of gear to keep the wind-chill off for the temps are you talking about (lower portion of the range).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    40-55 on a mountainbike (in the woods) I am not wearing a jacket. Arm/knee warmers with either reg. bib shorts (warmer temps) or heavier weight bib-knickers (colder temps). I wear a ss base layer at colder temps under my reg. ss jersey and arm warmers. Warmers are really the most functional piece of gear you can own. For a jacket, I have a convertible (sleeves come off) for a vest. Vests are a great piece of gear to keep the wind-chill off for the temps are you talking about (lower portion of the range).
    Not sure 40F counts as "winter" in my exp, but no, I wouldn't be wearing a buncha gear either at those temps. It's 18F high today; was ~10F when I was out snow-riding, still had to stop and dry off sweat from the snow resistance and slip'n & slide'n! I took a snippet from your post and used my inner-shell + vest = best heat vs soaked combo! Barely had to stop and not for long. Really kept the arctic gusts at bay.

I like turtles
    Update on my winter gear kit - just picked up a set of Castelli shoe covers (the Narcisista Allroad model)....toe covers aren't going to cut it into the 30s! Also grabbed some Castelli Estremo gloves...these are their warmest so we will see. My Pearl Cyclones are great in the 40s but again...once in the 30s they are a bit out of their element and my fingers get cold after a while. Also got a Bontrager RXL Convertible 180 Softshell jacket for Christmas...this thing is killer (review in separate post here). Can get away with nothing more than a SS baselayer underneath into the low 30s. Too warm above the 40s for it however.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Damn, I need to stay at your house for Xmas; all those new gear upgrades! I NEED some new boots; been looking at:

LAKE 303s_hxxp://tinyurl.com/n89ns74

Wolvhammer 45NRTHs: hxxp://tinyurl.com/l6ojy3s

But damn the prices are stiff (~$250+) for "biking boots," vs serious hunter/woodsman boots that perform essentially the same function, BUT are built to endure much more physical abuse. I don't want to invest that much for "bike specific" boots that will eventually suffer some kind of damage from a small wreck and rip apart/holes etc...
    Uuugh and after watching years of these "how it's made" type shows, I KNOW these and most boots are $15 off the production line, made by slave labor!

I like turtles
    ^^^Yep...can't believe winter riding shoes are $200+ but it is what it is..supply/demand is a *****. Shoe covers for me but it doesn't get that cold here in central VA.