Winter Riding Clothing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Winter Riding Clothing?

What Clothing do you wear when riding in the snow?

No, that's not phonetic
    What temps?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dress in layers...and make sure that you protect your fingers and toes. You will literally have to try a bunch of combo's and see what works for you.

Here is something off of one of our local sites here in Omaha:

50-60 degrees ~ Cycling shorts with lycra knee warmers, short sleeve jersey with a sleeveless base layer undershirt, lycra arm warmers and full finger gloves. add windstopper vest for breezy or moist conditions.

40-50 degrees ~ Cycling shorts with lycra tights or leg warmers, long sleeve jersey with long sleeve base layer undershirt. Rain resistent/windproof jacket for breezy or moist conditions. Full finger windproof gloves.

30-40 degrees ~ Cycling shorts with thermal tights, long sleeve jersey with long sleeve baselayer undershirt, thermal jacket, winter cap, winter gloves and booties.
    *Long sleeve jersey not needed with a thermal jacket.

20-30 degrees ~ Cycling shorts with thermal bib tights, long sleeve jersey with long sleeve baselayer undershirt, thermal jacket, winter cap, winter gloves and booties.

10-20 degrees ~ Cycling shorts with windproof thermal bib tights, long sleeve jersey with long sleeve base layer undershirt, thermal jacket, winter cap, neck gator or balaclava, winter gloves and booties with toe heaters.

mtbr member
    For my rides of two hours or less in Minnesota winter fun I make sure my skin is not exposed with a thin wind proof jacket and pants and then add insulation from there. Same general rule for head, feet and hands. It is amazing how much heat your body creates. If I do get a little cold I ride a little faster to stoke the furnace.

mtbr member
    It can be harder to dress for temps around freezing compared to 0 degrees because at the warmer temp you add wet to the equation. Every thing frozen and dry 0 degrees is much easier to dress for than 30 degrees.

mtbr member
    I'm coming up to Alaska at the end of Oct. and would like to rent a Fat Bike to try them out. I'm hoping that there is some snow and I can get a feel for it.
    I really want one but I don't live where it snows that much. I also don't live near the beach. But I see some cool rides in the woods.

Thanks for the input on the Clothing.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Snow near the end of October, at least in South Central Alaska is hit or miss, if anything, its a small amount, crusty/hard/frozen and windblown. No official snow fall for Fall 2010 in Anchorage yet either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got into about 4" up by Powerline Pass last weekend. This is in the State Park immetiatly east of Anchorage. Don't know if it's still there. It could be nice and crusty, or gone, by now. It is a very pretty place to ride regardless. I bet Billy at Arctic Cycles would rent a bike and you can chack on snow conditions just before you get here.

Cars Are Evil
    Wool or synthetics, no cotton. Cotton holds moisture.

Members who have read this thread: 0