Winter Pants for Skinny guy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Winter Pants for Skinny guy

I ride year round in michigan, meaning in winter i'm often riding in 5*-30*F weather. I'm 5-9 and thanks to a loosing battle with crohn's disease 125lbs soaking wet (silver lining is the ostomy bag helps keep me warm). While i don't have a problem with loose clothes, i prefer to have tighter fighting clothes in winter (less snow/ice build ups). I'm wondering if anyone of similar size has any recommendations for pants that might run on the extra slim side. To be clear, they have to be warm, waterproof and preferably wind proof (on the front at least).

Tough ask i realize, but its worth checking. Hope everyone is gearing up for some winter riding weather it be indoor or out!

mtbr member
    56 150+lb w/chicken legs, if upper was sized like legs id be under 140. These are what I have in Large and they are form fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Windpr...3069877&sr=8-7

mtbr member
    How about tights? gore make some wind/waterproof tights that might have the fit tou are looking for

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    4ucycling pants on amazon. Layer with tights or other items as it gets colder. I'm in MN. earlier this week I did 26F with 3/4 length merino bibs, ski socks, and the pants. Last night was 16F and I added in a thin pair of c9 tights from Target. If you're 5'10 you probably want their XL. L was kind of short on me and would slide up off my wolvhammers at 5'9". I'm about 145 and they aren't overly baggy

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Have you thought about XC ski pants? Cut like pants, but are super skinny in width, almost tights.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I find it's important for the base-layer to be tight. At -30, XC ski pants ain't going to do it by themselves, they might make a decent base-layer themselves at that point, but they are going to need something over them to trap heat. I think you NEED loose fitting clothing over insulated base-layers in that kind of cold. I'm a big proponent of not over-dressing, but those are pretty cold temps. The one part I find needs to be tight is the base-layer, if not, it feels crazy cold to me.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    4ucycling pants on amazon. Layer with tights or other items as it gets colder. I'm in MN. earlier this week I did 26F with 3/4 length merino bibs, ski socks, and the pants. Last night was 16F and I added in a thin pair of c9 tights from Target. If you're 5'10 you probably want their XL. L was kind of short on me and would slide up off my wolvhammers at 5'9". I'm about 145 and they aren't overly baggy
    This /\
    They're cheap and they're great. I'm 5'9" 175 and wear XL. It's asia market sizing so you have to size up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    off topic but regarding crohns have you tried a Keto diet and intermittent fasting? Take a look on youtube for Dr Berg he will walk you through it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    For me, Costco hiking pants (usually get them in summer), chamois liner shorts, knee/shin pads fit under these pants nicely and long calf socks. This will get me down to 25F comfortably, heck, I might break into a sweat 30min into the ride. If it's much colder, I'm usually not riding.

Sorry to hear about the crohns.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I find it's important for the base-layer to be tight. At -30, XC ski pants ain't going to do it by themselves, they might make a decent base-layer themselves at that point, but they are going to need something over them to trap heat. I think you NEED loose fitting clothing over insulated base-layers in that kind of cold. I'm a big proponent of not over-dressing, but those are pretty cold temps. The one part I find needs to be tight is the base-layer, if not, it feels crazy cold to me.
    Being from MI myself I would venture a guess that the dash before the 30 in the OP means between 5 and 30 degrees. Not negative 30.

My friends like to poke fun at my skinny legs and my go-to bottoms in that temp range are PI Amfib tights or a pair of Gore Bike Wear pants over Smartwool tights. Summer bibs under both.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    Will check them out, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    56 150+lb w/chicken legs, if upper was sized like legs id be under 140. These are what I have in Large and they are form fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Windpr...3069877&sr=8-7
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dropout33 View Post
    off topic but regarding crohns have you tried a Keto diet and intermittent fasting? Take a look on youtube for Dr Berg he will walk you through it.
    I had tried dietary options but unfortunately I was just too sick, i was up to 60mm of prednisone (thats a lot for anyone, let alone my size) and it wasn't even enough. Ended up having most of my colon removed in march and i actually go back in tomorrow to get the rest taken out. Luckily this is the freeze/thaw season hear in michigan so hopefully i'll be able to ride by the time the trails are snow covered. I appreciate the thought though!

Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    Being from MI myself I would venture a guess that the dash before the 30 in the OP means between 5 and 30 degrees. Not negative 30.

My friends like to poke fun at my skinny legs and my go-to bottoms in that temp range are PI Amfib tights or a pair of Gore Bike Wear pants over Smartwool tights. Summer bibs under both.
    Yup, definitely meant 5 to 30. I can take quite a bit of cold, but i wouldn't even go out for free burritos in -30, and i love burritos....

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have a 4ucycling Windproof Athletic Pants. It has a good insulation.

Dream it, Do it.
    Pearl Izumi's rain pants have a fairly narrow fit that is contoured in the riding position: https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ant/p/11131828
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have some of the 4ucycling Amazon pants. I find them very windproof but very non-breathable for a softshell. A crash put a little hole in the knee though, so that has helped there I guess. The sizing isn't great for long legs either.

Tights are a good suggestion. I have a pair of winter biking tights, a pair of winter running tights (which are warmer in my opinion) and a pair of Mammut ski touring pants that I can wear either alone or over the tights. The cuff is a little bigger than I'd like - XC skiing pants would be better - but I've never gotten it stuck in my chainring. It is made of a stiffer material to protect from ski edges, so I think that helps.

One more question: Do you really need them to be waterproof for those temperatures? You shouldn't be running into much liquid water when it's that cold. Usually some water resistance (and a material that snow doesn't stick to) is enough for me when its really cold. I worry more about waterproofing for the 30 and up clothes.