Winter/Night Gear in SoCal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Winter/Night Gear in SoCal?

For those of you in SoCal, what are you wearing for winter/night riding? It doesn't get super cold out here, but there are times when it can get cold. Do you use base layers? Pants? Wind breakers? Any help would be appreciated. I have a Dinotte XML-3 light coming in the mail, so that is handled. I'm just curious as to what people are wearing to stay warm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    It was 90 today, and at night it is still warm, so shorts and shirt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    SoCal desert , high in the mountains or those cold 50 degree perfect nights ?

mtbr member
    It's really going to depend on the date. I night-rode in SoCal last week and was hot in shorts and a shirt, I think it was over 80 degrees. There are times though, when you'll need thermal pants, water and wind proof gear, or just to stay home.

It's definitely worth bringing more clothing with you in your pack than you think you'll need, also extra tubes, food and a spare light because getting stuck out in the dark would suck. Coming downhill in the dark is colder, I often bring dry gloves for the descents, some of my friends swear by toe-warmers.

I hope this helps.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks man. I actually have been out a few times since I posted this and the range of clothing that I needed varied. One night it was 65 degrees with no breeze and shorts and t shirt was plenty. Another night it was 50 degrees with a stiff wind and I had to wear a long sleeve under the shirt and that seemed to be just fine. I think the key is to keep moving. Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Coastal. Where 55 degrees feels like 40 sometimes. I think I have what I need as far as warm clothes and lights go. I'm just new to MTB. I can tell you that when I ride my dirtbike at night I wear warm gear (textile jacket, textile OTB pants, heavy gloves). MTB is a lot different. Stay moving and the cold just seems to go away.