Winter neck gaiters?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Winter neck gaiters?

Starting to get a bit cold here in Western NY. For the past couple of years of winter riding (daily commuting on the streets, trails on the weekends) I've worn a run-of-the-mill Buff neck gaiter that was labelled "Warm". I'm tired of cold windy days where the wind hits the neck gaiter and keeps on going: with a thermal cap under my helmet and windproof gloves, my neck is the coldest part of my body.

So I went and had an online look at the various warm neck gaiters: Smartwool, Spyder, 45nrth. I'd be inclined to go for the 45nrth Blowtorch, but there isn't a single review of any kind I could find.

I don't want to wear a balaclava.

Anyone have some good winter neck gaiter suggestions?

mtbr member
    ideal would be to wear a tall colar jacket, smartwool gaiters are awesome for insulation but would need an outerlayer collar to protect agains the elements (wind, water, etc). I strongly suggest a wool (smartwool, icebreaker) gaiter + tall colar windprook jacket.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The Icebreaker Chute Snow Storm looks pretty good. Bit pricey for tube of wool, but OK. Whatever, have to order it as no local stores have anything much. SmartWool also makes a bunch of 250 merino neck gaiters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I wear an Under Armour balaclava. If it's pretty chilly, I'll pull the lower up to cover most of my face. If it's warm, I'll pull the lower down to under my chin. It sits snug against my neck so I don't get that cold draft running down in to neck/chest. I'm good with that to around 25F. Below that, I just don't ride.

Keep on Rockin...
    Hmmm...

I'm all about gators, both neck and legs. Never had that issue as long as I zipped my collar up enough. Maybe just a thicker gator that bunches a bit more. Fleece alone does a poor job as a wind blocker. It sort of just fills the gaps. Zip up your collar.

This is coming from a far upstate NY person who xc skis Whiteface to the top and hits -20F with 40mph winds. Also do plenty of cold weather riding.

A little outdoorsy secret... I sew. Since a kid. When I got older I got a real sewing machine. Buying cheap "on sale" fleece stuff at Wally World lets me make and tailor pretty much anything I want for pennies. I've got more homemade hats and gators laying around than you can shake a stick at.

high pivot witchcraft
    This was raised (kinda) last year...

https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-prot...m-1095589.html
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

Elitest thrill junkie
    One thing I've noticed with base-layers, make sure the base layer has somewhat of a turtle-neck. Crew-neck base-layers are ultra-cold, even when your jacket is zipped up over your exposed skin. A buff or similar OVER the turtle-neck of the base-layer then reinforces it and it gets far less cold.

The other thing I'd suggest is a stretchy balaclava. These work great as neck gaiters when it's too warm to use fully over your head, but then when you need it for that, it's right there and will easily do that job too. Again, it works best with a base-layer that extends up the neck some.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Bought the Icebreaker Apex Chute Snowstorm when it was on sale. Very warm! The merino wool I think is a bit scratchy for folks who are sensitive to that sort of thing. But since I'm not, it works for me.

방랑외국인
    I have the 45nrth and an Icebreaker. I like how the 45nrth is cut for the face, whereas many are straight across. I use it for skiing and on my motorcycle. My only issue is when using neck gaiters and any high output exercises - the lack of holes around the nose/mouth really steams up lenses. Vent holes in that area would be great. 45nrth is a QBP company, so MN people seem to get the cold weather details down right, as their weather is probably colder than yours!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like the Surly merino neck gaiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Just picked up a turtle fur shinobi performance baclava. I like that it can cover your mouth or easily full down under your chin without strangling your neck.