Winter helmet for round head.- Mtbr.com
    RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017

Winter helmet for round head.

Need help guys as Im beating my head on a wall here.

Im a round headed person. Best fitting helmets are Bell hands down. Fit perfectly. Couple other brands are ok. Fly Racing and new Bontrager. Some Giro barelt.

Thats the limit of my helmet options so far that fit.

Problem is I am not finding a ski/snowboard helmet that will fit. Even Giro is out completely. Have to reshape my head.

Is there ANYTHING out there that is a good fit for us with round (and big) instead of elliptical, avg or small heads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Are you going to outdoor-shops and trying on a bunch of helmets? Even within a manufacturer, the fit can vary significantly year to year and model to model. There are a lot more ski-helmet manufacturers, so I'd keep looking, unless you're already doing this. The last time I bought a mtb helmet I went to a bunch of shops and tried on many helmets. Unfortunately, the fit pads have broken down rather quickly, but the fit was pretty decent.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Doing what I can, VERY limited. I live in a very rural area.

I hit 6 places while In St Louis, 3 known brands, couple off brands. Smith (which is the goggles I bought) looked promising but the 2 places that had them didnt stock the size I needed.

So asking here in hopes someone has some ideas/experience as Ill have to order something in the next day or so.

The joys of having a real and very cold winter after a few years of mild winters.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Plus, where are you going to be riding mostly? There may be better solutions than a winter/ski helmet, although it's definitely a good solution for some of us. Full balaclavas are amazing and having a few different weights can make a big difference. Being able to plug up your neck helps a lot too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Ive dealt with winter plenty, have all that. Every part of me is covered except this.

This being the first year where its been frigid cold and staying that way since I started winter riding. To the point I picked up ski goggles over the weekend. 2 pairs so I had reflective polarized for sunny days and mild tint for overcast/low light. But any of my helmets are rather well vented and not sure how they will take to ski goggles. One thing trying it on, another thing during riding. My Bell Stoker has been ok into the low 20s but any colder the wind gets through my cap or bala.

Since I bought my fat bike (this is winter 3 for it) and the 2 years prior I used my 29er somewhat, winters have been very mild, bordering non-existant the last 2.

FYI I live in north western Illinois, can see the Mississippi River from my front porch. Current temp is -17F, roughly 3-4" of dry powder on the ground as of Fridays storm.

mtbr member
    I use a stretchable helmet cover over my usual helmet, and in the past, have covered the vents with tape.
    Do the math.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, but in -17? But I have to wonder how long the conditions will last too, usually these fronts push on through rather quickly.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    They last usually 7-10 days at a time. We are already on round 2 of sub zero temps and this front we are already on day 4 with 4-5 more to go before a break. Expect at the very least a lot more single digit days.