Winter Gloves - Any advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Winter Gloves - Any advice

I am not sure where to post this so figured I would post it here. It is starting to get chilly here in New England and I am already thinking about the freezing cold days ahead. Any recommendations on a good pair of winter riding gloves (temps below freezing). I was looking at the Pearl Izumi Barrier Lobster gloves $70. Anyone have these? Any less expensive alternatives.

Thank you,

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    i ride in ut and it get a bit on the cooler side here as well. there a few different options that i have found work well for me. PI has a 3 finger glove that works well (can wear a light knit glove under it when really cold), then i have used insulated mechanics gloves that worked well down to about zero or so, and i have used and still use a quality ski glove.

mtbr member
    The Barrier Gloves are really nice. I have the fingered, non-Lobster version. I can't wear them above freezing or else my hands get hot. The lowest temps I've experienced with the gloves is around 5 degrees.

Don't pay $70 for them. You can find them online for cheaper.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    I've heard good things about those PI Lobster Claws from roadies.

I've been looking at the PI Cyclones personally as I'm not quite motivated enough to actually go out in conditions bad enough to warrant the Lobster Claws. Figure these plus some liners should be able to handle down to ~25 F or so.

mtbr member
    Anyone hear of these guys. They have the full fingered PI barrier gloves for what seems to be a good deal. REI has them for $70 with 20% off for members.

http://www.campmor.com/pearl-izumi-m...4&ci_sku=53631

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by safme
    Anyone hear of these guys. They have the full fingered PI barrier gloves for what seems to be a good deal. REI has them for $70 with 20% off for members.

http://www.campmor.com/pearl-izumi-m...4&ci_sku=53631
    Campmor is a pretty big name and very reliable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Nitzerglobin
    I've been looking at the PI Cyclones personally as I'm not quite motivated enough to actually go out in conditions bad enough to warrant the Lobster Claws. Figure these plus some liners should be able to handle down to ~25 F or so.
    They'd probably be fine. The main issue with temps in the upper 20s is wind protection. As long as your arms and core stay warm enough, your hands should be fine. At least that has been my experience. I commute all winter long, and I've worn relatively thin fleece gloves in those temps and been fine. I'd try out what you have first to get an idea of how heavy a glove you need.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    They'd probably be fine. The main issue with temps in the upper 20s is wind protection. As long as your arms and core stay warm enough, your hands should be fine. At least that has been my experience. I've worn relatively thin fleece gloves in those temps and been fine. I'd try out what you have first, then decide if you need something else.
    Right now I've just got a couple pair of full finger MTB gloves (Specialized Radiators which are getting a bit worn in the palms and a newer set of Fox Sidewinders) but both of them are mostly mesh on the back side of the hand and fingers.

Was playing w/ the idea of just picking up some UA stretchy liner gloves or something similar, but not sure if they'd fit underneath either of those or if I'd wind up w/ enough wind stoppage. Guess I'll have to give it a whirl.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Nitzerglobin
    Right now I've just got a couple pair of full finger MTB gloves (Specialized Radiators which are getting a bit worn in the palms and a newer set of Fox Sidewinders) but both of them are mostly mesh on the back side of the hand and fingers.

Was playing w/ the idea of just picking up some UA stretchy liner gloves or something similar, but not sure if they'd fit underneath either of those or if I'd wind up w/ enough wind stoppage. Guess I'll have to give it a whirl.
    Your current gloves will probably be fine into the mid to upper 40s.

I haven't had great success with layered gloves. Sometimes it gets a bit bulky on the palm and fingers. The nice part about bike specific cold weather gloves is that the palm and fingers have less insulation, allowing a solid grip on the bars. Thicker gloves can lead to hand fatigue.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    if you core and arms stay warm, your gloves don't have to work as hard. for me at least, my hands tend to warm up as i'm riding. sweaty hands when the temp is low is a bad deal. don't forget about blood flow either. if a liner makes your gloves tight, you'll be colder than without it.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    if you core and arms stay warm, your gloves don't have to work as hard. for me at least, my hands tend to warm up as i'm riding. sweaty hands when the temp is low is a bad deal. don't forget about blood flow either. if a liner makes your gloves tight, you'll be colder than without it.
    +1. It's similar with shoes as well.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Layers with a wind and waterproof outer .

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    Your current gloves will probably be fine into the mid to upper 40s.

I haven't had great success with layered gloves. Sometimes it gets a bit bulky on the palm and fingers. The nice part about bike specific cold weather gloves is that the palm and fingers have less insulation, allowing a solid grip on the bars. Thicker gloves can lead to hand fatigue.
    Yup, they do seem to be just fine into the 40s so far. Not so much wind chill on the trails as on the road bike.

I'll keep the Cyclones on the radar for sub-freezing riding. Got a century coming up on the road bike middle of November I think I might want them for (at least for the morning).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have used a lot of cycling specific gloves with varying success. Commuting for 7 winters here in Southern Ontario you get down to about -25 C plus wind.
    I have in the past few years used non-cycling gloves, find there is a greater selection, lower price and in a few cases better performance and life span.

Example, I was using in the winter 2007/08 a pair of Lobster paws (styled) from a local cycling store for $45 CAD, worked great but laster about the winter and needed replacing.

The next year bought something similar, looked like a more sturdy material (felt stiffer too, good and bad point), were warmer and were $19 CAD. They lasted all winter, still using them this year (planning on at least). They were geared towards snowmobiling (sp?) but worked really well and had a removable liner (used when really cold).

Just look around, I do the same for summer cycling gloves from Home depot.

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

Rollin' a fatty

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    should be fine. great way to start riding in the cold. if you really get hooked you might want to buy full winter boots that clip in. or some people run bmx/freeride pedals with regular snow boots. but if booties do the trick for your rides, super.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    My feet don't get cold until down into the mid teens, especially if I wear warm socks and my legs are warm.

mtbr member

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL

I use those for temps down into the teens , they work very well .

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I bought the HEAD ski gloves that they sell at Cosco for ~ $10, or so. I use it when I commute to work, 20 miles. They are ususally good when the weather temp, not wind chill, is about 10. They would probably work well for MT. biking. I would look at ski / snowboard gloves.

Members who have read this thread: 0