Winter gear for legs....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Winter gear for legs....

I've gathered opinions for the past few weeks, and it seems that most people I've spoken with use leg warmers and not full pants or tights for winter riding. Most days I'm riding this winter, it'll still be above 40 degrees. Today, I bought a pair of leg warmers from REI, and it seems that they keep falling down as I'm riding. Is there a trick to keep the leg warmers up to where the legs of my liners end, or is this just a problem with leg warmers? They're not too big.....the legs feel tight at the top, and the bottoms are snug to my lower calf. Would it be better to possibly just wear tights on cold days? I went with the leg warmers mainly because they are easy to take off during a ride, and can be packed away in my camelback, when not needed. Thoughts?

HIYAH
    I have the same problem with some pearls on the MTB...work fine on the road. The higher you pull em up the better they stay (like way high!).

I have resorted to using knickers for MTB in the winter. I would really like to find some good 3/4 baggies, but am not having luck (enduras seem to be the only choice...).
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pull the warmers up high enough to go under the short liners and let them help with the hold.

I recently had to add a gripper strip to a pair of knee warmers to get them to work well...add a gripper strip.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 11-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Take them to a tailor or a friend with a sewing machine and fold over the excess to make them fit. I have great quality Ibex wool leg warmers but it took 2 adjustments to get them to fit correctly.
    Also have Swobo wool tights but won't wear them till below freezing. Then they're almost summer.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mayberry32 View Post
    I've gathered opinions for the past few weeks, and it seems that most people I've spoken with use leg warmers and not full pants or tights for winter riding. Most days I'm riding this winter, it'll still be above 40 degrees. Today, I bought a pair of leg warmers from REI, and it seems that they keep falling down as I'm riding. Is there a trick to keep the leg warmers up to where the legs of my liners end, or is this just a problem with leg warmers? They're not too big.....the legs feel tight at the top, and the bottoms are snug to my lower calf. Would it be better to possibly just wear tights on cold days? I went with the leg warmers mainly because they are easy to take off during a ride, and can be packed away in my camelback, when not needed. Thoughts?
    Honestly above 40 F I just ride shorts.....ride hard to start if you are cold....

If it is wet, you might want some warmer shoes or boots.

mtbr member
    If you are using knee warmers, you need them to be under your shorts at whatever height gives you adequate knee warming.

If leg warmers, then I have yet to find a pair that do not go all the way up to the top of my legs, under the shorts. They should cover the whole leg...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have slightly warmer winters but for the time being I'll be wearing long wool socks, hiking boots, thick work pants or synthetic pants (still figuring that one out) and let/knee guards over everything for abuse.

Swedetarded
    For the temps you mention, I wear a Gore knicker length bib and baggy shorts. I have knee warmers and I absolutely hate them compared to comfort of the knicker bib.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I bought some Cabela's medium temp underarmor pants. Basically polypropylene long underwear. I wear them under my shorts. After putting on the knee guards I always wear and tucking the underarmor pants in my socks there is only a small spot on my shins where the pants are exposed. It was 36*F on Sunday when we rode and it was perfect. What's nice is the stuff dries very fast, is comfortable, and is not too hot even into the 50's.

We were riding hard so I still soaked 2 shirts and my gloves. My problem is figuring out how to not get too hot. I can drench my shirts and gloves rather quickly.

DynoDon
    You could go to a hockey equipment store and get some garders that hold up hockey socks.
    I wear motocross pants in the winter, its much colder here in Michigan, when I do hit ice/snow and hit the ground the extra padding comes in handy.
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

방랑외국인
    I went down the same road as you my friend. My roadie friends were like get warmers. Never again! Falling down, bunching, skin showing between the clothing, tight/uncomfortable grippers etc

Get a couple pairs of breathable tights for various temps. I recommond some Patagonia Capi or wool for the 30-50 days. There are a couple of different weights available depending on the temps you run.

Then for the real cold days like under 25, either get something that fits under (real tight) or over (looser) your chamois shorts. Helly Hansen, Patagonia, Pearl Izumi, Mountain Hardware, ArcTeryx, Sugoi, etc all make both thermal tights, and slightly looser pant versions. I just picked up some Louis Garneau thermal tights and love them.

I can only speak for myself, but my legs really dont sweat a ton compared to my core/upper body, so I see no benefit to leg warmers simply due to the fact tights are seamless and so much more comfortable - which to me is most important as they should dissappear on your rides.

mtbr member
    If your leg warmers keep falling down, you might just try wearing some winter running tights under your baggies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker View Post
    You could go to a hockey equipment store and get some garders that hold up hockey socks.
    I wear motocross pants in the winter, its much colder here in Michigan, when I do hit ice/snow and hit the ground the extra padding comes in handy.
    Someone else mentioned that to me. But, I live in Georgia. There are no hockey equipment stores within 1000 miles...literally.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Maybe try some soft knee pads.
    They'll keep your knees nice and warm, plus you'll have some protection against a fall.

AZ
    banned
    Tights or knickers, different weights, some thermal.

DynoDon
    they play hockey indoors too..LOL there are plenty of hockey equipment stores in GA and online, Garter belt is what you look for, Happy Trails

stores in and around Atlanta, Ga
    Atlanta Hockey Equipment | Hockey Equipment in Atlanta, GA - YP.com

Amazon.com Amazon.com: Garter Belt: Sports & Outdoors
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have no experience with leg warmers, but it sounds like they are not working for you.
    Just how cold do your legs get? Riding in dry conditions? Rain or snow?

If just dry conditions it`s an easy fix to layer-up to whatever you need to balance between keeping the chill away and being too warm. Rain and snow make your choice of leg wear more crucial.

For dry, I wear tights. I don`t mind cold legs, as long as they are dry! For colder days, I wear the same tights and a pair of AM shorts over top.

For torrential west-coast rains and snow, I have just ordered a pair of REI Shuksan eVent rain-hiking pants. I will wair a pair of supergaiters over my leather hiking boots to help with keeping my feet dry and warm. I HATE bulking-up for riding, but I hate being frozen more.
    For a light drizzle, I just wear the tights and shorts and suck it up, knowing I will be in the hot tub when I get home!

gravity fighter
    Novara Headwind Bike Pants - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

I've had good luck with these. Warm without being too tight and easy to pedal. If i'ts really cold, they are tight enough to wear under my Endura 3/4's like tights.

mtbr member
    I use a pair of running tights from nike underneath my baggy shorts if its below 10 deg C.. If its really cold (sub -5deg C) i just add a base layer.
    Knee pads are nice too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    long johns and cutoff jeans. Street Cred

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by machinetwelve View Post
    Thanks. Can't do that, though. Jean shorts, aka Jorts, are a no-no for any self-respecting University of Georgia graduate. That is a Florida thing, and I'd be shot faster than a 12-point deer in the woods wearing cut off jeans.

Live fast. die younG.
    Quote Originally Posted by machinetwelve View Post
    Please refer to the Jort flow chart below:

No<--------------Should I wear cutoff jean shorts today?------------->Yes---------> No you shouldn't.
    |
    |
    V
    Don't wear Jorts.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    I just wear ski socks pulled up high.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ski socks, they have a bit of padding on the front, come up to your knees and can be bought in an wide assortment of wild colors.