Winter gear

Printable View

• 03-21-2015
    Naussdollar
    Winter gear
    After this past winter I've decided no matter how cold it gets next year I'm riding year round. I know, I don't ride year round now...what's my problem?
    anyway, looking to pick up some after season deals. Looking for warmest gloves, MTB shoes, jackets, etc. let me know what's been working for you.
  • 03-21-2015
    Mr.Quint
    My favorite piece of gear has been my Gore Fusion Tool jacket.

But everyone is different as at conditions and locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 03-22-2015
    ltspd1
    Keeping my toes warm has always been a problem. What works for me, and as has been recommended numerous times here on MTBR, is to buy a pair of shoes several sizes larger than you normally wear, then experiment to find the best combination of wool socks and liners. I bought a cheap pair of Performance shoes, and have found that thin Smartwool liners under a heavy pair of wool hiking socks works for me. Good luck.
  • 03-22-2015
    Legbacon
    I have done a lot of cold weather riding and prefer a thin windbreaker jacket. They breath well and you just layer underneath to suit conditions. Feet and hands are a problem. I finally got winter riding boots but I think flats with regular winter boots might be better. Wind proof pants or tights. Good warm ski type gloves and mitts worked for me but check out pogies forvthe ultimate in warmth. On me head I never needed more than a fleece toque and neck tube. Get a thin toque as well because you are going to generate a lot of heat. For base layers I like merino wool but synthetics work very well.
  • 03-22-2015
    Zoo1424
    For me it's Under Armour top and bottom for a base layer. Everything else just depends on how cold it is. Shoes - 45nrth Wolvhammer. Very expensive but nothing else comes close.(I've wasted money buying other brands "cold weather" shoes.) Pogies and Specializeds Deflect gloves have worked great. And I have a Smith snowboard helmet that works great without needing a hat on down to maybe 10 degrees.
  • 03-22-2015
    Kevin Gordon
    For me the big breakthrough for warm hands was adding Dogwood Design pogies (the regular version, not the plus) over a set of Gore windstopper winter gloves. Made in Alaska, where I figure the cyclists should know a thing or two about cold hands. Contact is Joan Skilbred at [email protected]. I don't care how strange it looks - my fingers are warm!
    This year I added a set of Ryders goggles for the particularly chilly days (balaclava wearing days)