winter clothing questions - is it possible to sweat and not be cold/clammy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

winter clothing questions - is it possible to sweat and not be cold/clammy?

1. is there a baselayer that wont feel wet and cold with a little sweat?

2. list your favorite get up for mid temps in the mid 30s. name brands and your layering.

for mid 30s-low 40s ive been wearing giordana forma carbon bib knickers and an insulated pearl izumi jacket with a patagonia lightweight capilene baselayer. upper body tends to get a little cold. the giordana bib-knickers are pretty damn good.

for mid 40-low 50s i've been wearing cannondale bib-knickers and their heavy duty jersey - pretty decent set up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Any of the temps you have listed

3/4 leg length knickers, I use Campagnolo brand but that is really just because I got a good price on them.

XC ski sox - Wool / Silk blend.

Ice breaker 150 weight long sleeve undershirt and an Icebreaker 260 or 320 weight sweater over top of that.

That is enough to keep you warm in those temps.

mtbr member
    merrino wool works for me.
    wool long sleeve over wool short sleeve
    wool leg warmers
    thats why its costs so much

mtbr member
    I just picked up a set of Pearl Izumi AmFib tights. The front is windproof, the back is breathable. I haven't used them yet, I will be this weekend, should be around 30 degrees.

Air Pirate
    Wool, wool, and if I forgot to say it, wool.

I tried using those crap Underarmor type baselayers and always felt cold and clammy if I slowed my rate of exercise or stopped. After riding the stuff would make me feel miserable.

I got some merino wool baselayer top and bottoms. I use a variety of materials over this, sometimes wool, sometimes synthetics, but I never feel cold and clammy.

Best damn way to stay warm. I use them in any of the conditions I would consider cold, as they transport the sweat efficiently enough that my temperature is regulated better when wearing them than without. So even in mildly cold temps I will usually wear them.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy
    Wool, wool, and if I forgot to say it, wool.
    What he said, X10.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i prefer wool slippers and wait until spring.

is buachail foighneach me
    30's: summer jersey with lightweight long sleeve jersey over, light tights.

40's: lightweight long sleeve jersey and shorts.

At any temp that you would consider cold, if you aren't feeling chilly till the first climb, or for at least the first 5 minutes of pedaling, you're very overdressed. I would ditch the insulated jacket for 30's-40's. It's probably trapping your sweat moreso than wicking/breathing, which is leading to you getting cold. If you feel like you'll get too cold with a lighter outer layer, try adding a lightweight wind vest to your setup.

Unless, of course, it's raining out...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    30's: summer jersey with lightweight long sleeve jersey over, light tights.

40's: lightweight long sleeve jersey and shorts.

At any temp that you would consider cold, if you aren't feeling chilly till the first climb, or for at least the first 5 minutes of pedaling, you're very overdressed. I would ditch the insulated jacket for 30's-40's. It's probably trapping your sweat moreso than wicking/breathing, which is leading to you getting cold. If you feel like you'll get too cold with a lighter outer layer, try adding a lightweight wind vest to your setup.

Unless, of course, it's raining out...
    Pretty much the same for me.

Quoted for importance - At any temp that you would consider cold, if you aren't feeling chilly till the first climb, or for at least the first 5 minutes of pedaling, you're very overdressed.

I know that to be true and tell it to others, but guess what I do every year at the start of the cold season? Dress so I feel comfortable when saddling up. Bzzzzt. You have to feel chilly and shiver a little or you're going to get drenched on the first climb or section that requires work. Then the cycle of warm up, sweat, cool down just continues endlessly.

mtbr member
    What they all said. Plus this. Even the best wicking fabric can become loaded with perspiration. And wet skin can be very cold skin, especially in wind or when you start to cool. So I carry one or two extra next-to-skin shirts to swap in if I get the cold clammys. Could also be a lifesaver if you get caught out in the cold for longer than you expected.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Ibex Knickers, Ice breaker 200 merino LS T, Smartwool socks and beanie.
    What goes over the wool T shirt depends on how cold it is.
    2 layers usually gets me down to about 45.
    3 layers when it is colder plus toe covers. I have a couple of different UA cold gear that seem to work good as the middle layer.
    Then the outer layer goes to a soft shell jacket when it is going to be near freezing or lower plus a polypro glove liner.

Members who have read this thread: 0