Winter clothing q- Mtbr.com
    Rollin' a fatty

New question here. Winter clothing q

Relocating to upstate NY and need to find out what cold weather gear we'll need in order to do the snow rides and hit the trails while possible.

In addition to arm/leg warmers, cap and windproof gloves and jacket what else will be needed to stay warm while riding?

Delirious Tuck
    Hmmm...Full length spandex, not arm/leg warmers. A mask, full face is nice in sub-zero. Warm warm wicking socks, sometimes requires bigger shoe so you don't stretch your regular gigs out. I actually use my Full Face for regular riding when temps are low enough... keeps everything warm and you're not breathing into a cloth.

Some folks switch pedals from SPD to Crankbrothers, I run time year round.

A couple good base layers are solid and mean you can layer for early morning temps and peel off and put into the pack as the day warms up a bit. Layering properly with wicking fabrics is key to an enjoyable, warm, and dry ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Winter riding shoes/boots

I ride down to -20C every winter. For me the feet, hands, and head are the keys to a comfortable ride. I have good quality winter SPD boots that help a lot. When it's below -10C I usually put over boots on too. It's a tricky balance however because you don't want your feet to sweat. If they do you will end up even colder in the long run.

You should also get good non fogging eye wear. I use my riding glasses and a balaclava without any issues. Some use goggles.

too cold to ride
    Cotton kills

Layer the clothing, definitely Under Armour (or similar) baselayers.

As has been said, if your hands, feet, or face start getting cold, you're screwed.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    +2 on layering for the ride is essential, poly prop is your friend. When you start out you should be in the chilly-freezing range and you will warm up when you get going. I use a nice pair of ski gloves (also use em snowboarding) wear my regular hiking boots/shoes with a pair of wool socks and flat pedals.

Edit: finding a BREATHABLE outer shell is key as well, one that blocks the wind but also lets out your body heat.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i love my pearl izumi boots, bought a size larger (wanted to go 2 but they only go to 48), and a snowboard helmet with goggles. everyone else's suggestions are spot on, btw i'm a year round commuter and gravel rider in iowa. sub zero wind chills are a normal thing.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Markf Bingo on the helmet! I use my ski helmet "Giro" on the cold rides. It has a visor, it is comfy and very protective. Ski helmets rock in the cold. I use my off roading enduro gloves for the didgets. Cold is a trial and error thing. Nothing is perfect.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Where to? Welcome!!

We're in Rochester, and ride all winter long, it's a blast!

All good variations on themes have been mentioned already.

Me? I love wool, but the plastic stuff works too. Pearls Am Fib bib tights are great,wind front, open back. The bib is nice too, as it covers your core a bit more too. A windbreaker works great, as you'll likely layer underneath, so as to control temps as you get warm. A soft shell jacket is nice too, you just use fewer layers.

Lake winter boots. If you spend the $, you won't regret it. Guys in our group usually start out with booties, then add some toe warmers. Do that for a season,then find the Lake religion

Gloves are personal preference, and fine tuning. Softshell gloves seem to work down to about the mid 20's, much lower than that, and an insulated ski type glove, or mitt, works great lower on down the 'meter.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    All good advice. For safety's sake, especially if you ride alone, consider the possibility of injury, mechanical failure or getting lost causing you to be stuck in the cold longer than you planned for. Carry extra clothing - down jacket, next-to-skin layer, emergency bivy, extra calories, etc.

Everyone seems to have some part of the body that they have trouble keeping warm. For me it's toes. I find chemical warmers help. These can work for hands as well.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

I agree on the Safety Point

I always carry two mylar emergency blankets. They are very small and light when still in there wrapper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Check out the Minnesota Off Road Cyclist cold weather wiki
    http://www.morcmtb.org/wiki/index.ph...Weather_Riding
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    All good input...Being an avid skier I've been able to use existing gear for all winter riding. On real cold days I bring two sets of gloves...an old pair of ski gloves for when I first start out, then once the blood is pumping and I'm just starting to feel a sweat come on, I take 'em off and put on a lighter pair to head off the sweating. Also agree with the breathable wind breaker. Sometimes have to pull that off too if you begin to feel a sweat come on. Sweat is NOT your friend...you need to manage it before things get wet to remain comfortable. I always wear my riding shorts with a good pair of full length "poly" spandex long johns pulled over them. Also use long ski socks (not cotton!).

Another trick...I slide foot warmers (packets) onto the top of my feet right above the toes (over the socks). Then wrap duct tape around your shoes (leaving the cleats uncovered). You need to be creative (sort of like taping an ankle injury) but if you do it right, it will stay in place for the ride. This acts as a windbreaker for your feet - cheap and works great.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

local trails rider
    People handle the cold differently, too.

On a trail ride, where I am working hard all the time, the toes is my cold point. My head cooks if I wear anything under the helmet at -5 or -10 Celsius. Fingers the same: regular full finger bike gloves down to -10 C. That is for trails. When commuting at higher speeds and lower effort, I need heavier gloves. At some point I'll add a Buff or wool cap under the helmet.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Rollin' a fatty
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Where to? Welcome!!

We're in Rochester, and ride all winter long, it's a blast!
    In the process of relocating to Old Forge

Thanks for the great info, keep it coming!

Members who have read this thread: 0