Winter attire / Get up .....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Winter attire / Get up .....

So, whatta you guys use for your chilly weather riding sessions?

I've tried a few things, but it seems like all I do is sweat my ass off, and then get chilled.

Last ride out I wore a lightweight long sleeve polyester base-layer type shirt, and a lightweight Pearl Izumi jacket. I wound up sweating so much (at 55*) that my back was soaked under my camelbak.

Whats the best way to go for legs? I prefer to ride in baggy shorts / DH shorts, but my legs are definitely uncomfortably cold for this time of year.

Suggestions?
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    So, whatta you guys use for your chilly weather riding sessions?

I've tried a few things, but it seems like all I do is sweat my ass off, and then get chilled.

Last ride out I wore a lightweight long sleeve polyester base-layer type shirt, and a lightweight Pearl Izumi jacket. I wound up sweating so much (at 55*) that my back was soaked under my camelbak.

Whats the best way to go for legs? I prefer to ride in baggy shorts / DH shorts, but my legs are definitely uncomfortably cold for this time of year.

Suggestions?
    55 is barely cool.
    I wear the same wool jersey I do at 90 degrees, with a light wool base layer, and maybe wool arm warmers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    for 55 degrees I wear base layer t shirt, long sleeve base layer, thin wind braker with thin felt inside. as for legs i use leg warmers, if i gets hot i just pull them out. my leg warmers has zipper at the bottom that you can open them up and pull out.
    for colder temp, I will add my old wool sweater.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    55 is our summer high temperature ;-) But if that's "cold" for ya, then I say a lite wool zip-t top and a windbreaker type vest. For legs in the cold, I use Ibex knickers, which have a nice windproof cover over the knee area. I'd ditch the backpack if you don't want to get a sweaty back, not much you can do about sweat there with that thing pressing on ya.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    At 55, I wear a turtleneck base layer with a short-sleeve bike jersey over top. If it's cloudy and windy, I may instead put a long-sleeve bike jersey over top instead of short sleeves. I wear thin bike tights under my baggies. Below 50 degrees, I will add a fleece vest layer.

I generally stay away from bike jackets that block wind because they don't breath as well and they make me sweat more.

mtbr member
    Yeah, as not cold as 55 sounds... That's chilly to me when my average ride in the summer is in 110 degree temps or hotter. The desert has some of the coldest dry bitter wind you can imagine. It'll be 45-55*, yet it feels like 30, and goes right through anything you're wearing. It's kind of hard to dress for to be honest.

Gotta love Las Vegas.

I'll have to try some of these wool blends you guys are talking about. What brands and specific items are you guys recommending?

Just go to Cabellas' or what? Lol.

Thanks.

-Matt

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, as not cold as 55 sounds... That's chilly to me when my average ride in the summer is in 110 degree temps or hotter. The desert has some of the coldest dry bitter wind you can imagine. It'll be 45-55*, yet it feels like 30, and goes right through anything you're wearing. It's kind of hard to dress for to be honest.

Gotta love Las Vegas.

I'll have to try some of these wool blends you guys are talking about. What brands and specific items are you guys recommending?

Thanks.

-Matt
    55 f is a warm morning for me.....

I just put a jacket (commuting no jacket) on for the first 10 minutes...then take it off and hammer away.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Gotta love Las Vegas.

Thanks.

-Matt
    55 does not sound cold at all, even with a wind.

No blends. 100% wool. I like Ibex

I do use a wind vest sometimes. nylon front, mesh back
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

...a wiggle theres a way
    The wool socks I use in fall / winter I get from cabellas Cabela's Wader Knee-to-Toe Socks (Backorderable)
    I wear these by themselves when temps are warm, and as temps drop wear in conjunction with tights (depending how cold it is determines if they go over or under the tights)

For a jacket I use a pi when its chilly windy raining or snowing otherwise I will just use arm and knee warmers from canari, and when its a down.pour at 5 am, I usually use my canari jacket that is waterproof BUT .not breathable

Good luck,I dig the socks cause as you warm up you can roll them down

Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just found some ridiculous deals on knee warmers ($9.59 after discount in cart, no code needed) & arm warmers ($7.99 after discount)
    Oh, and this retailer is an mtbr.com supporter, so click through from mtbr to give mtbr it's due!
    My garage is a revolving door of bikes, wheelsets, & frames
    www.mtbdeals.com

mtbr member
    Tennessee rider here so weather wise I never know what I am going to have. Looking for a good merino wool base layer/jersey to start the ride out in and hopefully not be totally overheated 10 minutes later. Anybody wearing the Patagonia or Endura merino base layers? Do you like the way they perform? Last? How about Craft? Craft Shift Free Pullover - Long-Sleeve - Men's from Hucknroll.com
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't break out the wool till below 50. Your problem is the Camelbak. Get a hydration pack with suspension like Vaude Hyper Air or Osprey so you won't sweat there, even in summer.
    I have a Patagonia wool shirt. Buy lightweight for cycing.They are almost as good as Ibex and Icebreaker,equal to I/O Bio, better than Stoic. Works great, I'd suggest a bit loose fit as best for comfort.
    Just bought the Icebreaker Pocket beanie 200. Perfect under helmets.
    agmtb

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    A general rule I go by is to dress so that I'm cold for the first twenty minutes or so. After that, I'm warmed up, and I'm perfectly comfortable. If you dress to be warm when you immediately go out, after you warm up you'll start to sweat. The sweat will then cool you down or freeze, leaving you colder than before.

Up here in Reno, 55 is a very warm day right now. Regardless, down to 55 or so I'll simply wear my bib shorts and standard short-sleeve jersey. Between 45 or so and 55, I'll just wear arm warmers. Between 40 and 45 I'll also throw on the leg warmers.

Below 40 gets special treatment. I'll wear arm warmers, leg warmers, and two jerseys on top of each other. I'll also wear my ski glove liners, as well as ski socks. The other day I went for a road ride and it was 18 degrees. I was wearing all of the above, in addition to a ski hood under my helmet and some chemical hand warmers in my gloves. After I got back, I realized why my left hand was just about numb, while my right hand was still pleasant: the hand warmer had fallen out of the left glove at some point, with the sole purpose of warming the asphalt.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What would you recommend for those with wool allergies?

Here I'm talking 14 degrees F...

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvestri View Post
    What would you recommend for those with wool allergies?

Here I'm talking 14 degrees F...
    Slay a polar bear and take its pelt.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

One Gear
    The most important thing is to have layers that can come off if you get hot. I picked up a couple of Under Armour heat gear T-shirts this fall on sale. They make a great base layer. Now I wash them instead of jerseys every ride. Pearl Izumi, and a lot of others, make arm and leg warmers that easily go into a bag if you overheat.

For those with wool alergies, just stick with the standard winter long sleeve jerseys and find a good, breathable jacket. When it drops to 14* here, I'd be in winter bike shoes, long bib pants with fleece, base layer, winter jersey, jacket gloves, bar mits, and a skull cap. (maybe the ninja hood) If it warms up on the ride, I can ditch the long sleeve jersey into the bag.

I do ride all winter long and have plenty of winter gear. Last winter we had a weekend or two that started out in the single didgets. The bar mits are the only thing that save my hands at that temp.

Good luck

All fat, all the time.
    lol yah, 55 doesn't warrant a jacket & such, no wonder you are sweating then getting the chills!

At that temp, I ride with a long sleeve, shorts, full finger gloves, that's about it. Once it is below 45 then I usually add some long johns, extra layer, maybe a hat under the helmet.

Has to be in the 30s usually before I put a jacket on otherwise you sweat too much.

meow meow
    try some nike pro or ua type stuff to wick the sweat away so you dont get chilled.

gravity fighter
    Try using UA tights. There not too warm and you'll forget your wearing them. I would also go with a vest and skull cap instead of a jacket. You can also pack a light windbreaker to throw on before a long descent (if that's what your terrain calls for).
    As it's been said, removable layers is the way to go.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Sounds to me like your not all that cold, you're just getting wind chilled. I've found (like you) I sweat when working and then get cold because of the sweat. The thing is to not insulated up, but just brake the wind.

Thin Wind Braker gloves, arm and leg warmers with my normal riding clothes keeps me fine to the low 50's then I'll go for a light jacket warmer socks and a pair or sweats over.. usually end up yanking off the warmers after a few miles...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I am a big baby when it comes to the cold, I tend to dress to be warm immediately when I get out of the truck! I have learned by sweating after 10 minutes!
    I wear UA cold gear fitted top and pants. I am plenty warm after the start.

My issue is the cold air hitting my lungs and winding me... any solutions?

--Carrie

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy View Post
    My issue is the cold air hitting my lungs and winding me... any solutions?
    --Carrie
    Biv - mask if it's that cold... My only issue with them is your breath ends up coming back and up from around your nose and fogs glasses
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It was about 30 at the start of Iceman this year. I wore UA tights, a Nike base layer (like UA) with another base under it and a fleece quarter zip. Halfway through the fleece came off, but it got into the 50's.

Also had a skull cap beanie under my helmet and light gloves.

I was cool at first until the temp rose and the fleece came off. Then still stayed cool and didn't over heat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Sounds to me like your not all that cold, you're just getting wind chilled. I've found (like you) I sweat when working and then get cold because of the sweat. The thing is to not insulated up, but just brake the wind.

Thin Wind Braker gloves, arm and leg warmers with my normal riding clothes keeps me fine to the low 50's then I'll go for a light jacket warmer socks and a pair or sweats over.. usually end up yanking off the warmers after a few miles...

You hit the nail on the head. Quite honestly when there's little to no wind, I feel great... but several of the trail systems out here are just off of mountain systems right at the base. So, as the wind rolls up over, and down the back side of the mountains down into the valley, the wind picks up to the 40mph gust range like nothin. Some of the times, I've experienced 60mph wind gusts. I try to watch the weather closely, but still... it's nature... she does what she wants to do.

I picked up a pair of Cannondale pants-style tights, and some Pearl Izumi middleweight gloves. Also picked up a middleweight skull cap with ear flaps. Have definitely learned that when my ears and limbs are cold, I feel completely chilled throughout. Keeping the hands, feet, and head warm are crucial.

Definitely will be looking at some light-weight and middle-weight Under-Armor attire, etc. I appreciate all the help.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    You hit the nail on the head. Quite honestly when there's little to no wind, I feel great... but several of the trail systems out here are just off of mountain systems right at the base. So, as the wind rolls up over, and down the back side of the mountains down into the valley, the wind picks up to the 40mph gust range like nothin. Some of the times, I've experienced 60mph wind gusts. I try to watch the weather closely, but still... it's nature... she does what she wants to do.

I picked up a pair of Cannondale pants-style tights, and some Pearl Izumi middleweight gloves. Also picked up a middleweight skull cap with ear flaps. Have definitely learned that when my ears and limbs are cold, I feel completely chilled throughout. Keeping the hands, feet, and head warm are crucial.

Definitely will be looking at some light-weight and middle-weight Under-Armor attire, etc. I appreciate all the help.

Try these guys,... they make 90% of their stuff right in the USA.. and they are about the same $$$ as the fancy imported stuff.
    Cyclewear manufactured in the U.S.A. We make high quality bike shorts at an affordable price.
    Look for stuff that actually says "Wind Block" or "Wind Proof" Mid weight stuff is going to make you sweat in anything over like 40-45 degrees... a light weight wind block glove is best for the chillies... and when it's COLD you just slap a layer over it..

I got a Pair of the light weight WInd Proof gloves and I just slap a pair of those cheapo brown jersey work gloves over them, this will get me to the freezing mark and even below if it's a really calm day. below freezing I get mid weights, and below Zero I just stay home and have a cocktail...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Try these guys,... they make 90% of their stuff right in the USA.. and they are about the same $$$ as the fancy imported stuff.
    Cyclewear manufactured in the U.S.A. We make high quality bike shorts at an affordable price.
    Look for stuff that actually says "Wind Block" or "Wind Proof" Mid weight stuff is going to make you sweat in anything over like 40-45 degrees... a light weight wind block glove is best for the chillies... and when it's COLD you just slap a layer over it..

I got a Pair of the light weight WInd Proof gloves and I just slap a pair of those cheapo brown jersey work gloves over them, this will get me to the freezing mark and even below if it's a really calm day. below freezing I get mid weights, and below Zero I just stay home and have a cocktail...

Dang, some of their stuff looks fantastic. Will definitely be looking some of their gear.... I also took note of Endura's gear. Their jackets and gloves look fantastic.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Dang, some of their stuff looks fantastic. Will definitely be looking some of their gear.... I also took note of Endura's gear. Their jackets and gloves look fantastic.
    ya, and there is a MESS on sale in the clearance area right now... $20 for a nice pair of regular bike shorts... I have those, and they are WAY better than the big name brand one I have, lasted longer and I wear them more!!

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    55 does not sound cold at all, even with a wind.

No blends. 100% wool. I like Ibex

I do use a wind vest sometimes. nylon front, mesh back
    Kudos Shiggy. I was surfing the thread and saw your recommendation on Ibex. Hadn't heard of the brand before.My new Breakaway 2 jacket should be here in a week.

Cheers!

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    May 2007
    about shoes?
    I have no problem with lower and upper body, but my feet get cold. Tried covers, wool socks, liner and think wool sock, windproof socks. I am aware of cold weather shoes but they EEE sizes do not realy exist or somehow soldout for weeks/months

Let's fly!
    Windproof layers and long zippers. I have a RaceFace vest that is windproof on the front, full zip, and a mesh on the back that is essentially nothing at all. It's 5 or 6 years old, not sure if still available, but others probably make something similar. It is the most-used item of clothing I own. When cold, zip it up to block the wind. When hot, unzip and it basically disappears. Unzip uphill, zip up going downhill. Additional layers are based on how cold it is. I ride to about 10 degrees; that's when the cold air starts affecting my lungs.

I wear roadie lycra under some just-past-the-knee baggy climbing shorts from REI until about 50, then add knee warmers to about 45 ,then full leg warmers to about 35, then actual tights. Below 35 or so, I use PI Amfib tights and they are GREAT!

I also suggest throttling back on the power uphill and continuing to pedal (with brakes on if necessary) on the downhill. The more consistent your exertion, the more you can get your clothing dialed in.

PI makes a wind block for ears and that is perhaps the 2nd most used piece of clothing that I own. Very thin, no lining, just blocks the wind. Love it!

My PI Goretex x-Alp shoes are windproof and waterproof. Not as warm as I'd like, but I can tromp around in snow and not get wet feet. I like them, but will look around again at other options when they wear out.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    For anyone who needs some mid layers IO has a few items at 50% off... Then there's the bonus that until tonight Dec 8th, (or maybe tomorrow - their site has different info) there's an additional 10% off and free shipping on your order when you use the coupon code "io10off"

Men's Discount Clothing | I/O BIO Merino

There's a US site, too, I believe.

Looking forward to trying this stuff out!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

mtbr member
    I live at the bottom of New Zealand and have some challenging weather during the winter. We are costal so don't get too much snow - but lots of squally wind/showers/hail from Antarctica (well it feels like it some days).

I made an effort to try and eliminate excuses for going for rides in the winter. We have temps in the range from about -2 C to 10 C (28F to 50F), and I hate having cold feet, and if they get wet not a happy camper.

Top extra bits of kit:

Agree with base layer (merino) then a fleece top and then wind/waterproof jacket- need zips so can let some air in if start to cook.

Another item which is really good are some 3/4 waterproof riding trousers from groundeffect.co.nz - keep you dry but stop you over heating once you get going. Can wear your normal baggy shorts underneath)

Got some Shimano Gortex boots MW81's - they are cosy and dry :-) and have virtually eliminated all excuses for riding in the wet and cold.

Also have some ADIDAS Evil Eye Climacool Sunglasses with a night lens which don't fog due to lens ventilation system, awesome if freezing or raining.

Merino skull cap - to keep ears toasty and also have a merino neck warmer when its real nasty - seals top of jacket and can also cover mouth/nose when frosting and negative temps