• 12-03-2014
    bigchillcar
    Windshell outer layer glove for my Defeet wool gloves?
    I've got a pair of size XL Defeet wool gloves and want to use them as the inner layer for when things get really cold and damp this winter. Any recommendations? My LBS had a clearance I should've jumped on last month for a pair of Bontrager Race Windshell gloves in size XXL for $20 ($40 regular). Would my wool gloves have worked under those..guess I'm asking you'd go up one size right?
  • 12-03-2014
    b-kul
    that is the exact recommendation i came in here to make. if you can try them first, bontragers sizing is all over the map. in most gloves I'm a large but in the wind shells medium fit me best. you may not have to size up.
  • 12-03-2014
    bigchillcar
    You'd recommend those Bontragers? Dang, I was almost hoping someone would say 'oh, you can't use them..won't work! they suck!' something like that! Damn I'm kicking myself for letting those gloves get away at half price! I need to go right in and buy em right after a super cold, miserable ride.. ;)
  • 12-04-2014
    b-kul
    yeah, definitely. hardly any bulkier than a regular glove but they do a real good job of blocking the elements. i know a bunch of guys who use them and are happy, they seem to hold up well.
  • 12-04-2014
    HEMIjer
    I use something called the Marmot precip as an outer shell works well not bike specific though. One thing whether it be bike specific or not with gloves that use a liner shell system I do find frustrating is the liner sliding around and screwing up my grip. Not always a big deal but if I ma riding technical stuff I bring two pair of gloves and throw the thinner ones on and switch out when needed.

if it was me though and I was going to have spend 40 anyway I would just get a nice winter pair of gloves and carry 2 sets with me on long rides where temp changes. something like

Gore Bike Wear Radiator Gloves | Backcountry.com

I have these and they are decent don't slip a ton

Amazon.com : Pearl Izumi Elite Softshell Gloves - Closeout : Cycling Gloves : Sports & Outdoors