• 03-07-2005
    9W6VX
    Wide width MTB shoes (x-post in Where are the best deals)
    I'm currently using SIDI MTB Bullet size 44 with cycling socks and my toes feel a little numb after an hour or so. I don't have much space at the toe part of my shoes and I feel that
    the width of the shoes is also a factor as I feel it is a little bit tight. Mind you the sensation only comes after some heavy pedalling where the legs swell due to the blood circulation.

I have decided to get another pair of MTB shoes but the SIDI Mega models are not available locally. One option is to go 1 size bigger, i.e. Size 45 and give my toes some breathing space. Second option is to order online the SIDI Mega from the states.

As for the width, does the width of the shoes increase slightly if you go 1 size larger?

Between SIDI excluding the Mega models, Shimano, Carnac and Nike MTB shoes, which brand has a wider width?

Thanks mates.
  • 03-07-2005
    Axe
    Lake
    Lake. With vibram soles. Unlike Sidi, they fit better when riding and walking then in the store.
  • 03-07-2005
    FLrider
    Sidi
    Are there shops locally that carry Sidi? Any good shop that is already a stocking Sidi dealer should not have a problem ordering a Mega shoe for you, especially since you already know what size you want.

But, if that is a problem, a little info. The standard shoes are based on a "D" width. That is the average width of an adult foot. The Mega's are based on a "EE" width.

To answer your question about width increasing with length, yes, as the length increases, so will the width. A longer shoe will still be based on a "D" width, but because of proportions, a 45 would be slightly wider than a 44.

FLrider
  • 03-07-2005
    GearHead
    Specialized
    The front part of my foot is really wide while my heel is normal width (not wide). I find that the Specialized shoes fit like a glove, have good breathability, awesone soles for climbing, are durable, the soles won't soften as much as Sidi's over time, and are cheaper. I would check them out!
  • 03-07-2005
    FoShizzle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe
    Lake. With vibram soles. Unlike Sidi, they fit better when riding and walking then in the store.

agree....I went through 5 shoes in my first year of mountain biking till I found the Lake MX-220 Extremes (=wide version). I am very happy with em...I hated the SIDI Dominator 4 Mega
  • 03-11-2005
    9W6VX
    Thanks to all for posting.

Another question: I noticed that there are 3 sizes in the shoe boxes for MTB.

Namely in order: Euro size such as 44, US size such as 10 and finally in metric such as 27cm.

What does the metric sizing stand for? Are they for the width?

Thanks
  • 03-11-2005
    FLrider
    Sizing
    Hmmm, don't think I have seen metric sizing. But, taking a guess, a size 10 (10 inches x 2.54cm) would be about 27cm.

FLrider
  • 03-12-2005
    9W6VX
    bump......

Anybody knows what the metric numbers means in the MTB shoes?

Thanks
  • 03-13-2005
    HPilot
    Yup, go for the Lake's
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe

No stupid ratchet buckles to get stuck- or even fall apart like BOTH of my riding buddies' pairs of Shidi's did. There are no "Italian" parts to unreasonably mark up the sale price. They are wide where they need to be. They are comfortable and very well built. MX220's are the way to go.
  • 03-15-2005
    shadow
    Anybody knows what the metric numbers means in the MTB shoes?

In some brands it indicates the footbed's length (Sidi, Gaerne, ┬┐Shimano?)
    In other brands indicates shoe's length (like Northwave)

I've just bought a pair of Northwave Magma shoes, and they are size 44, US11, and 29cm, but they seem very similar to SIDI 45, US10.5 and 27.5 cms.

I'm about 10US or 10.5US, my feet are +-27.4cms long, and I wear Northwave 44 and Sidi 45 size (my old 44 SIDI and Gaerne were very tight).

Bye
  • 03-19-2005
    9W6VX
    Thanks mate.

Anybody else want to chip in?

:D :D