Wide Shoes for Flats?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wide Shoes for Flats?

Anyone have any recommendations for wide shoes for flats? I know most places recommend FiveTen but it appears they don't sell wide.

If people don't know any specific, any thoughts on how FiveTen Freerider's run in size?
    '17 Santa Cruz Bronson 2 A S
    '17 Trek Farley 7

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    They are pretty wide/boxy to begin with so depending on how wide your feet are they might be worth a go.

DOOM
    I have pretty wide feet (95-100 mm wide on the ball of my foot) and have had several pairs of Five Ten shoes.

I also have high arches and I haven't had any issues with the fit of Five Tens in the forefoot or for putting pressure on the top of my arch which sometimes is an issue with shoes for me.

All of them (Impact Low - couple of iterations over the years, Freerider VXi) were fine for width and they tend to wear in a bit when you wear them and conform to the shape of your foot.

I also have a pair of Adidas Terrex Trail Cross SL that are similar in width/fit which I would expect since Adidas owns Five Ten now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    start by using whatever trailrunning or running shoes you already own that are comfortable. I use Adidas Supernovas with Boost midsole to overcome numbness in the bottom of my feet from rocky trails at speed. Unfortunately Adidas do not run wide. Mostly the opposite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    $78 online. Or $150 in custom color combinations
    https://www.adidas.com/us/supernova-shoes/BA9933.html

Wide Shoes for Flats?-ba9933_01_standard.jpg

The white Styrofoam looking stuff from BASF never gets compressed and eliminates trail chatter vibration. Stubby or short pins work with this sole. Continental rubber. Medium width is a little wider than past Glide versions.
    Last edited by eb1888; 12-06-2017 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    $78 online. Or $150 in custom color combinations
    https://www.adidas.com/us/supernova-shoes/BA9933.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA9933_01_standard.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	1170903

The white Styrofoam looking stuff from BASF never gets compressed and eliminates trail chatter vibration. Stubby or short pins work with this sole. Continental rubber. Medium width is a little wider than past Glide versions.
    thanks for the info. Ya, my feet are a mess so I am a concerned citizen when it comes to my shoes.

1. I have flat feet and bad heels.
    2. I wear wide because I partially tore my Achilles 6 years ago and the width helps with comfort because of #1.

So beyond width, my other concern is if I can put inserts in them (not custom but over the counter), and if not if the insoles aren't complete crap . I typically wear Saucony Guide's or Mizuno Inspires as they give me cushion and width.
    '17 Santa Cruz Bronson 2 A S
    '17 Trek Farley 7

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Guides can be compared with Adidas Ultra Boost Uncaged which are #1 in their category. Guides are #265 on RunRepeat. The Ultra Boost have even a thicker midsole layer than the Supernovas I use. Would be more comfortable for you. Same Continental rubber tread which works with stubby pin flats when you use the low heels technique for bumpy sections.Wide Shoes for Flats?-by2552_01_standard.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The Guides can be compared with Adidas Ultra Boost Uncaged which are #1 in their category. Guides are #265 on RunRepeat. The Ultra Boost have even a thicker midsole layer than the Supernovas I use. Would be more comfortable for you. Same Continental rubber tread which works with stubby pin flats when you use the low heels technique for bumpy sections.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BY2552_01_standard.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	1170968
    Thanks. I just wish you could find most running shoes in Wide... most you canít.

I swear by the Guides. Got my messed up feet through a marathon without issue. If regular shoes work with flats, what is the benefit of a flat specific shoe?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    All flat pedals aren't the same. Pedals with longer sharp pins are the versions that need the rubber soles you see on 5.10 Impacts. You also need shin guards and the rest of the kit that goes with Downhill runs. But modern longer travel bikes have progressed to where many guys can ride dh trails without a dedicated dh bike. If you use the correct technique you can use short rounded pin or stubby pin pedals with any shoes with some open tread.
    This vid goes over technique-

Going over a bump once your heels are down you can't be bounced off. Because of the angle you just stick.

Here, diagonally!
    My ideal shoe size is a 13.5 4E (US). Five-ten Freerider size 14s fit awesome. I previously had some Shimano size 49 wide-fit clipless shoes, and they were too narrow (as were all the other clipless shoes I've had).

I have some Five-ten size 14 clipless shoes coming in the mail, will see how that goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

DFL
    Quote Originally Posted by vanquishphoto View Post
    Thanks. I just wish you could find most running shoes in Wide... most you canít.

I swear by the Guides. Got my messed up feet through a marathon without issue. If regular shoes work with flats, what is the benefit of a flat specific shoe?
    From another perspective, are 5.10s stiffer in the sole like, say, clipless shoes would be? My son is starting to get serious, and I'm trying to decide if I should get him a set of 5.10s, or just stick with running shoes. The pair he wears for riding is pretty beat, so he's due regardless.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have found my 5.10 Freerider Pros to be stiffer than running shoes but not full on stiff like a clip in racing shoe. So the are efficient on the pedal but you can walk comfortably. They are a little stiffer than my old Teva Pinners.

I have wider feet and find the fit to be great! Very comfy. I usually add in superfeet insoles to my shoes for arch support but have found this unnecessary with the Freerider Pros. But the insole is removeable so you have the option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I have extra wide feet and Freeriders fit me. The upper is soft and if you loosen the laces they open right up. I replaced them with some stretchy quick laces and they go on and off like slippers.

Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    From another perspective, are 5.10s stiffer in the sole like, say, clipless shoes would be? My son is starting to get serious, and I'm trying to decide if I should get him a set of 5.10s, or just stick with running shoes. The pair he wears for riding is pretty beat, so he's due regardless.
    The regular Freeriders have flexy soles like a normal sneaker, they just have nice flat soles with their super grippy rubber. They will be better than most any running shoe in terms of grip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I recommend buying a pair of new insoles for the 5.10ís right away to stiffen them up some more. Helped with foot fatigue and cramps in my arches on all-day rides. Got a pair of super feet insoles that have plastic reinforcement

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I also have flat feet that bulge outwards in the midfoot due to collapsed arches. When I buy ski boots, I have to get wider lasted boots (103+mm) and still punch the midfoot. 5.10 Freerider Contacts fit me perfectly.

I do suggest getting a low profile, low volume footbed to replace the stock one, such as SuperFeet Black.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Another option for wide riding shoes: Altra

Quote Originally Posted by vanquishphoto View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for wide shoes for flats? I know most places recommend FiveTen but it appears they don't sell wide.

If people don't know any specific, any thoughts on how FiveTen Freerider's run in size?
    I love Altra running shoes for biking, check out their website, and REI carries a few of the models. They come wide and allow your toes to splay naturally and have what they call ďzero dropĒ for a very flat feeling, which I prefer.