Wide shoes anywhere local?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Wide shoes anywhere local?

I'm looking for a new pair of cycling shoes and my fat feet dictate a wide shoe size but I'm having trouble finding anything local and really don't want to buy shoes online (I've already bought two in-store that felt great at the time but started to hurt my feet after 20min in the saddle). I know that Lake makes wide-version shoes, as does Sidi although I'm not in the market for $400 shoes to be honest. Is there anything in and around the GTA that carries wide-specific shoes? Thanks!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sidi is your best bet.
    The sidi giau mega is just over $200, i think? will double check $ today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know that Sidi makes wide versions of the their lower-end shoes...I'm around the corner from you guys so I'll try and drop by around lunch!

Also looking at the Lake 235 but can't find the wide version locally...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So you know... i would have to order it, and called about pricing Canadian retail is $289. I guess a little more then just over $200 sorry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    eek...they really gouge you guys on pricing...thanks for checking into it though

I'm tempted to just get another pair of Specialized Tahoe's, been wearing them comfortably for 2.5 seasons and they're just starting to fall apart now. They're far from a performance shoe, but comfort trumps all in my books and I know my LBS carries them. I've been wearing a normal-width 46 in those and haven't had problems...but moving to a 46 in the Specialized Comp shoe didn't go so well...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Evil Jr.
    I know MEC carries Sidi Dominator Megas but they'll set you back about the same amount. Still, more shoe for the $.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I hear great things about Sidi's and no doubt the Dominator is a fantastic shoe...I just have a hard time justifying dropping that kind of coin on a shoe when I've been super happy with my $129 recreation-level Spec. Tahoe...then again, I just might not know what I'm missing. I'm an 'aggressive' weekend warrior, getting in 2-3 rides/week each between 1.5-3hrs...

Aside from comfortable fit, good ventilation and low weight, what do you look for in a cycling shoe?
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    I bought a pair of pearl izumi last year at REI in the states.
    they are nice and wide and feel great.
    I know MEC has them also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    trailtrash, do you recall the model name of the shoe? MEC has a few different Pearl Izumi models...unfortunately it doesn't look like they stock anything at the Toronto store in a 46/47...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider
    Aside from comfortable fit, good ventilation and low weight, what do you look for in a cycling shoe?
    Reliable retention. Best buckle in the business and the proprietary velcro straps have never let me down, rain, mud or snow. My Dominator 5s are going on 4 years old with no issues whatsoever.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

rad to the power of sick
    Shimano shoes typically fit wide. Also, they make many of their shoes in a size "E" width which is wider than normal.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    trailtrash, do you recall the model name of the shoe? MEC has a few different Pearl Izumi models...unfortunately it doesn't look like they stock anything at the Toronto store in a 46/47...
    I'll check it out when I get home

Muskoka

Exustar?

I also have a wide foot and the Exustar Winter shoe that Nerdgirl recommended for me fits much wider than my summer Chili Peppers. Therefore I would expect their summer lineup to be roomy too. Got them from MEC, and price was excellent.
    Here's their line-up
    http://www.exustar.com/shoes.php
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    I also have a wide foot and the Exustar Winter shoe that Nerdgirl recommended for me fits much wider than my summer Chili Peppers. Therefore I would expect their summer lineup to be roomy too. Got them from MEC, and price was excellent.
    Here's their line-up
    http://www.exustar.com/shoes.php
    I bought the Exustar E-SM321's a few days ago at MEC and they felt great at the store but after a 20min ride on the cross bike last night the outside of my feet (more so on the right foot) started to ache. I had the same pain with the Specialized Comp shoe (only worse). I took a look at the sole of the Exustar and it's wider than the Spec. Comp but narrower than my current shoes. With shoes off I can see the outside of my feet bulge when I put weight on them, which I quite natural, but it's where they bulge that hurts when I'm on the bike. I did a 3hr ride the other day with my old/current shoes and didn't feel any pain.

Do new cycling shoes take a while to break-in? How much initial pain is expected? I know that ice skates are a real b**** until they're well broken in...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    +1 for Sidi Dominators.
    I have wide feet...

I got my first pair of Dominators 5 years ago.
    Second pair just a few weeks ago..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash
    I'll check it out when I get home
    sorry, could not find a model name anywhere on the shoe

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys - I just got back from a round of store-hopping and ruled out Louis Garneau's because they didn't fit my feet well and Shimano's because I'm in between sizes. I'll head down to MEC later tonight if I can and try both Lakes and the Sidi's. I'd love step up from the rec-level shoe I've been wearing but also don't want to cut a ride short because my feet kill...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Try Chain Reaction. I bought Sidi Giau Mega's there last summer to accommodate my bunions and they fit great. You will likely get them delivered for under $200. I know that is not exactly local but the Sidi Sizing gizmo can be downloaded from their website and it worked perfectly for me.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=29825

mtbr member
    check out the northwave shoes they are pretty wide across the metatarsals and a really good fit all around.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jump
    Try Chain Reaction. I bought Sidi Giau Mega's there last summer to accommodate my bunions and they fit great. You will likely get them delivered for under $200. I know that is not exactly local but the Sidi Sizing gizmo can be downloaded from their website and it worked perfectly for me.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=29825
    I must be missing it, where did you find the Sidi Sizing gizmo? I'd be interested in trying out Sidis but don't know anywhere that stocks the Mega version of the Giau so that I can try it out before I buy...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I must be missing it, where did you find the Sidi Sizing gizmo? I'd be interested in trying out Sidis but don't know anywhere that stocks the Mega version of the Giau so that I can try it out before I buy...
    I don't remember where I found it last and it's not really called a sizing gizmo but it did pop up on the Aussie website. Proper name is Sidi Shoe Sizer, It's a PDF file. Print it out in colour,it's easier to use that way.
    http://www.sidi.com.au/sidi-size-ruler.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jump
    I don't remember where I found it last and it's not really called a sizing gizmo but it did pop up on the Aussie website. Proper name is Sidi Shoe Sizer, It's a PDF file. Print it out in colour,it's easier to use that way.
    http://www.sidi.com.au/sidi-size-ruler.pdf
    Awesome, thank you!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does anybody know the difference between the Sidi Giau and the Bullet 2? They look very similar however the Bullet 2 does not appear to be a current model (not on Sidi USA's site at least).
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Members who have read this thread: 0