Wide/High Volume shoes?- Mtbr.com
    GTM
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Wide/High Volume shoes?

It appears I picked the worst time imaginable to get back into mountain biking (middle of summer.. who knew), because the LBS Ive been dealing with has once again had to tell me they cannot get ahold of a particular item for me. First it was the bike model, now the shoes..

I tried on the Giro Privateer R shoe. 42 seemed to fit, but was too narrow and I could feel it wasnt really gripping my heel and keeping me in the shoe. I imagine I want my shoes to fit like a glove and be an extension of me, as they're then an extension of the pedals and so on. They had a 43 HV but it was way too loose front to back, but it widened just enough that my foot felt nice inside it. so we ordered in a 41 HV which I figure would have been stellar.

I myself cannot find these online - at least that will ship to Canada. Store said specialized has a model they run a wide/hv version of, but they have to bring it in and quite frankly I don't really want to deal with them anymore.. I felt bad about buying my clipless pedals off CRC but w/e. I mean.. if they had speccy shoes that came in a wide too, why didn't they tell me that one day.. idk..

So does anyone know of any other wide/hv shoes that may be worth me looking into, that I may actually be able to get a hold of this time of year? Any reccomendations? I really wanted to get out and get riding clipless for the first time this weekend :/ Really was hoping the shoes would come in
    Last edited by GTM; 07-22-2017 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Five Ten makes both clipless and flat shoes that are pretty wide with decent volume but marketed more toward the all mountain/downhill crew. I have Freeriders for flat pedals and they work okay with my wide duck feet forefeet which is pretty amazing for me. No clipless shoe in the traditional style marketed for xc would work for me.
    Maybe someone can comment on Five Tens clipless shoes because I wouldn't know about their performance for cross country biking.

Not sure if I'm helping you but I can't tell if you're 100% confident in the giro's fit.

GTM
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GerGa00 View Post
    Five Ten makes both clipless and flat shoes that are pretty wide with decent volume but marketed more toward the all mountain/downhill crew. I have Freeriders for flat pedals and they work okay with my wide duck feet forefeet which is pretty amazing for me. No clipless shoe in the traditional style marketed for xc would work for me.
    Maybe someone can comment on Five Tens clipless shoes because I wouldn't know about their performance for cross country biking.

Not sure if I'm helping you but I can't tell if you're 100% confident in the giro's fit.
    I'm used to skate shoes and flats.. But right now my focus is speed/endurance, rather than hitting sweet jumps and wicked technical descents (because there are none here ) so I think an XC shoe is really more up my alley, some enduro shoes seem ok but I want the stiffer sole

Honestly, when I put the 43 HV shoe on, it felt freaking great albeit a little too long. The difference between the standard model and the hv was night and day on my toe "knuckles" - they went from being pinched on both sides to fully relaxed. With the 42 standard feeling pinchy but a tad long, I imagine the 41 hv to fit like a glove.

Anyway crc has a shimano m089 in wide on for $100 which I think should fit the bill.. worst comes to worse I send it back but I did a bit of research and think its a good call to take a chance on. I've always been against buying shoes online but I dont really have any options

mtbr member
    Seconded on the 5-10s. I've had a few shoes that were so narrow they drove me nuts. 5-10s are wide and comfortable.

I'm using the 48 HVs because the 48s were a little narrow. The HVs have a little too much volume (toe to heel) so I used a different insole (stock insoles are really thin) which also helps because I like a higher arch. Alternately, you can add spacers under the insole made from anything that doesn't collect sweat (rubberized shelf/drawer liner works pretty good). If you can find a natural leather shoe, they'll stretch a bit. Unfortunately, most new shoes are designed so they won't stretch.

mtbr member
    I have found 5-10s to be wider than others, but Shimano have been similar and better fitting for me. I'm rocking AM7s now and have shelved my 5-10s, though if/when getting new shoes I'd certainly check out 5-10s again.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Lake makes wide bike shoe.

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk