why you should wear armor- Mtbr.com

Jul 2004

why you should wear armor

I was at Pedrosfest a couple weeks ago, and decided to go downhilling at Jimminy peak on the second day with a few friends. We actually met up with some pro female downhillers riding for Outback Steakhouse and asked them if they wanted to ride with us a few runs. So as we all rode up the chairlifts it started to pour, very bad for the riding since there were so many roots and rocks on the trails. Needless to say my small group couldn't even compare to the pros and we stupidly were riding above our skill level for most of the time. Not a good idea considering it was raining, and riding above your level is never something you should do. I thought I was safe since I just bought a sticky pair of Nokians that seemed to hook up on everything they touched. I took some pretty bad falls the first few runs, going over the handlebars 2-3 times, crashing into rocks...But nothing compared to my last run. I had on knee/shin pads and a helmet but nothing like a body suit. I was going over this long stretch at a high speed to catch up to the girls, but hit a ditch I didn't see. So I remember flying over the handlebars, doing a barrel roll on my side, until I was finally stopped by a tree as I wrapped my back around it. I've seen stuff like this in kungfu movies, but never knew how much it would hurt. II thought I broke my back since I couldn't even move for awhile. It was about 5 minutes before I could get to my feet, and only with help from a few friends in the back. That got me to buy the new Pressure Suit, which I should be getting in 2 weeks. So I learned my lesson and I won't be riding without the suit, or way above my skill level again

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Well nice story but i was waiting to hear about how those pretty Outback girls rescued your sorry ass

BTW welcome to passion!

Quote Originally Posted by DakarRider
    I was at Pedrosfest a couple weeks ago, and decided to go downhilling at Jimminy peak on the second day with a few friends. We actually met up with some pro female downhillers riding for Outback Steakhouse and asked them if they wanted to ride with us a few runs. So as we all rode up the chairlifts it started to pour, very bad for the riding since there were so many roots and rocks on the trails. Needless to say my small group couldn't even compare to the pros and we stupidly were riding above our skill level for most of the time. Not a good idea considering it was raining, and riding above your level is never something you should do. I thought I was safe since I just bought a sticky pair of Nokians that seemed to hook up on everything they touched. I took some pretty bad falls the first few runs, going over the handlebars 2-3 times, crashing into rocks...But nothing compared to my last run. I had on knee/shin pads and a helmet but nothing like a body suit. I was going over this long stretch at a high speed to catch up to the girls, but hit a ditch I didn't see. So I remember flying over the handlebars, doing a barrel roll on my side, until I was finally stopped by a tree as I wrapped my back around it. I've seen stuff like this in kungfu movies, but never knew how much it would hurt. II thought I broke my back since I couldn't even move for awhile. It was about 5 minutes before I could get to my feet, and only with help from a few friends in the back. That got me to buy the new Pressure Suit, which I should be getting in 2 weeks. So I learned my lesson and I won't be riding without the suit, or way above my skill level again

Jul 2004
    Yeah, I wish, they were all pretty hot. About 5 in the group up for the weekend. Wouldn't mind a little TLC from the Outback girls after that fall! What surprised me was that I saw them walking their bikes down some sections about 5 times per run, which tells you something about how hard the riding was that day. I also had a Jamis Dakar 1.0 and xc helmet while they had Intense M1's and GT downhills with full protection. Hey and thanks for the welcome to Passion